Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Wifi on Dell Inspiron 1501 after re-install of dual boot Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No Wifi on Dell Inspiron 1501 after re-install of dual boot Ubuntu 12.04

I am new to Ubuntu having installed Ubuntu 12.04 dual boot on my Dell Inspiron 1501 a year ago. Had to re-install because dependencies were broken beyond repair. At first install, I was unable to access wireless networks. Was able to restore connection using

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-firmware-nonfree
    Tried those commands after re-install and still no wireless connection.

Results of

Code:
    wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
    are attached to this post.

Any help to get me re-connected to my wifi is greatly appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Re: No Wifi on Dell Inspiron 1501 after re-install of dual boot Ubuntu 12.04

I did discover that my Broadcom driver was not activated, however, after selecting 'activate,' about half way through the process of downloading and installing the process killed my LAN connection to my laptop and would not complete.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found
    There is the whole problem. Please obtain a termporary wired ethernet connection and do:
    Code:
    Please note and post here any errors. Now unload and reload the driver:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r b43 && sudo modprobe b43
    Any improvement?
    Chili's Folly: Intel NUC, i3-4010U, 120 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, external 500 GB HDD, Ubuntu Saucy; small, silent and fast.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry it has taken so long to respond to this post. Life intervened after the first post and this is the first time I had time to get back to this.

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source

and
    Code:

Already ran above code in Terminal prior to posting in forum for help. Neither fixed the problem.

The other problem that I have is any attempt to run any type of code having to do with either wifi or LAN connections or any process that even connects to the LAN (like unloading and downloading the driver), immediately kills my Ethernet LAN connection and the only way to reconnect is to re-boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I suggest you reboot with the ethernet detached and see if it works. If not, run and post again:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep b43
    Chili's Folly: Intel NUC, i3-4010U, 120 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, external 500 GB HDD, Ubuntu Saucy; small, silent and fast.

Beans
    Distro

Rebooting w/o ethernet attached does at least bring up the "WiFi" light. Under network connections, showing no WiFi networks available.

The STA Broadcom driver is showing that it is not activated in the additional drivers section of System Settings. Any attempt to activate the driver causes the laptop to immediately disconnect from the ethernet connection.

Cannot post the results of

Code:
    dmesg | grep b43
    As any attempt to connect to the internet via the ethernet connection causes the computer to disconnect from the connection. If there is any way to download the driver on the windows side and load it on to a USB key and then load the driver on the Ubuntu side, that might fix the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The STA Broadcom driver is showing that it is not activated in the additional drivers section of System Settings. Any attempt to activate the driver causes the laptop to immediately disconnect from the ethernet connection.
    We would very much like for you to NOT activate the STA driver as it is, as you have seen, wrong not only for your wireless but also, remarkably, wrong for your ethernet. Please do not activate it again. Again, please do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source
    After it is done, reboot. Is your ethernet working? Can you then do:
    Code:
    If not, please run:
    Code:
    dmesg > ljmartz.txt
    Find the file ljmartz.txt in your user directory and transfer it on a USB key or similar and transfer it to another computer and post it here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/ Please give us the link in your reply.

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source
    Returns:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ljmartz View Post
    Code:
    Returns:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
    That usually means that some other application like Software Center or Synaptic is opened and running. Close it out and try again.

Beans
    Distro

Fresh boot, nothing open but terminal, not plugged into ethernet

Code:
    Still returns

Code:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast