Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Ubuntu PC games can I play?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What Ubuntu PC games can I play?

I have a System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) which is now discontinued. It has an Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5-3210M CPU with built-in integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000.

I know that this is not as powerful as a Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M, but what kind of Ubuntu PC games can I expect to play at 1366 X 768 resolution?

Here is a list of Steam for Ubuntu Linux PC games that I currently own:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
    Aquaria
    Awesomenauts
    Bastion
    Brutal Legend
    Capsized
    Costume Quest
    Crusader Kings II
    DOTA 2
    English Country Tune
    Frozen Synapse
    Hotline Miami
    Intrusion 2
    Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded in the Land of Lounge Lizards
    Little Inferno
    Oil Rush
    Organ Trail: Director's Cut
    Penumbra: Overture
    Portal
    Portal 2
    Proteus
    Psychonauts
    The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief
    Rochard
    Stacking
    Stealth Bastard Deluxe
    Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery EP
    Thomas Was Alone
    Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
    Waking Mars

I know that it can't play all of these titles at maximum graphics detail levels and FPS, but what can it play at medium to low graphics detail levels at 25 - 35 FPS or higher?

Beans

Re: What Ubuntu PC games can I play?

You should be able to play most of those games. I myself got a much less powerfull laptop then you, (core i3, 4 GB, Intel HD 3000) and I have run several of those games without any problem. Although some games do not work with Intel cards, like Oil Rush.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ioQuake3

ioDoom3 (still in development)

OpenMW (still in development)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have an Acer C7 Chromebook, which has a Sandy Bridge Celeron, running Chrubuntu, and can play Half-Life and its expansions, all the Orange Box games including Portal, Don't Starve, Little Inferno, Organ Trail, Counter Strike, Legend of Grimrock, Lume, FTL, etc. In other words, even the much-maligned Sandy Bridge graphics provide a pretty enjoyable gaming experience for me. I seriously doubt that Trine 2, Crusader Kings 2, or Brutal Legend would run, but I have a desktop for that. They might well run just fine on your machine (well, maybe not Trine 2, which I have found to be the most graphically-intensive game I own).

Try installing them and see if they run. You can always uninstall them if they don't run; that's the big advantage of buying games on Steam.
    Last edited by oldrocker99; September 5th, 2013 at 02:53 PM.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It looks like the minimum system requirements for most modern Ubuntu Linux PC games are pretty modest and sometimes Steam for Ubuntu Linux doesn't publish the recommended system requirements for specific titles.

What's the Intel HD Graphics 4000 equivalent to in terms of Nvidia GeForce and AMD GPUs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: What Ubuntu PC games can I play?

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    It looks like the minimum system requirements for most modern Ubuntu Linux PC games are pretty modest and sometimes Steam for Ubuntu Linux doesn't publish the recommended system requirements for specific titles.

What's the Intel HD Graphics 4000 equivalent to in terms of Nvidia GeForce and AMD GPUs?
    Well, Windows gamers bemoan the "lousy" quality of Intel graphics to the point that I was amazed at just how well they DO work on my Acer C7. It's safe to say, however, that nVidia and ATI discrete video cards are far superior. Also, Maximum PC magazine (which did a multipage article on how to install Linux, and built a Linux gaming rig) has stated the main difference between Intel and AMD CPUs these days is that Intel is much better on CPU tasks, and AMD is much better on graphics.
    Last edited by oldrocker99; September 6th, 2013 at 02:42 PM.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Even though AMD and Nvidia graphics devices are superior to Intel graphics devices, Intel has better support due to the fact that their drivers are 100% open-source.

01.org | Intel Open Source Technology Center
    Last edited by King Dude; September 6th, 2013 at 01:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How is this new Intel HD Graphics 5200 Iris Pro? I heard it's comparable to the older Nvidia GeForce GT 640M and it competes with the GTX 650M in certain specific benchmarks, but it doesn't quite beat it handily. I was thinking about getting a newer System76 Galago UltraPro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Does this mean that I should stop purchasing Ubuntu Linux PC games since I only have an Intel HD Graphics 4000? Or, should I keep getting newer Ubuntu PC games so that I can add them to my Steam for Ubuntu Linux library and then buy a newer System76 notebook PC with much more modern and powerful PC hardware components to play more modern titles?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

tiny and bigs leftovers donsnt work on intel graphics. i have the same laptop and i play all of the games you got from the double fine and the games from the humble indie bundle 8 and portal works great but i dont think portal 2 is out for linux
    loving the lemur ultra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast