Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: OpenID shutting down Feburary 2014

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nutley, NJ
    Beans
    551
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    OpenID shutting down Feburary 2014

    I got an e-mail today stating that MyOpenID is shutting down on February 2014. Does this affect Ubuntu Forums users?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: OpenID shutting down Feburary 2014

    Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

    In short, no.

    From the SSO login sticky:

    In order to improve login security, Ubuntu Forums now only accepts login via Ubuntu One single sign on at https://login.ubuntu.com. You cannot login via other SSO providers.

    Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Madras, India
    Beans
    194
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: OpenID shutting down Feburary 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

    In short, no.

    From the SSO login sticky:
    In order to improve login security, Ubuntu Forums now only accepts login via Ubuntu One single sign on at https://login.ubuntu.com. You cannot login via other SSO providers.
    Which kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a Single Sign On login mechanism, when users with existing OpenIDs are not allowed to reuse them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: OpenID shutting down Feburary 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    Which kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a Single Sign On login mechanism, when users with existing OpenIDs are not allowed to reuse them.
    Which means you've somewhat missed the point of Ubuntu SSO. Ubuntu SSO is intended to be the single log in point for the Ubuntu ecosystem of websites, including askubuntu, ubuntu-discourse, the Ubuntu wikis, Ubuntu One cloud services and so on. You also seem to have disregarded this:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2164064

    It was a security measure as well.

    Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Madras, India
    Beans
    194
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: OpenID shutting down Feburary 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Which means you've somewhat missed the point of Ubuntu SSO. Ubuntu SSO is intended to be the single log in point for the Ubuntu ecosystem of websites, including askubuntu, ubuntu-discourse, the Ubuntu wikis, Ubuntu One cloud services and so on. You also seem to have disregarded this:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2164064

    It was a security measure as well.
    Oh I missed that announcement, thanks! My admittedly petulant complaint was more along the lines of not being able to use a single ID across the Web, and with the OpenID dream fracturing into different providers not cooperating with each other. Oh well, at least we now need only a single ID across the Ubuntu universe, and that's better than nothing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •