Thread: OpenLDAP - Ignores PAM Password Complexity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Arrow OpenLDAP - Ignores PAM Password Complexity

I have an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server running OpenLDAP Server for several client servers. When I expire a password for a user within the directory they are prompted to change their password but the settings I have configured in PAM are ignored. Complexity is not enforced and passwords are able to be reused. If I expire a password for a local user on the server all seems fine. Here are the relevant lines from the /etc/pam.d/common-password file

password requisite pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=12 difok=4 ucredit=1 lcredit=0 dcredit=1 ocredit=2
    password [success=1 default=ignore] pam_unix.so obscure remember=4 use_authtok try_first_pass sha512
    password requisite pam_deny.so
    password required pam_permit.so

I've read several of the howtos related to LDAP and I don't see what I'm missing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

- Frank

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cool Re: OpenLDAP - Ignores PAM Password Complexity

I figured it out so I'm posting this here, hopefully to help someone else out.

It turned out that there were a couple of things wrong with the configuration. What I've ended up with (that actually fixed the issue) is this.

password required pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=12 difok=4 ucredit=1 lcredit=0 dcredit=1 ocredit=2
    password required pam_pwhistory.so use_authtok remember=4
    password [success=2 default=ignore] pam_unix.so obscure remember=4 use_authtok try_first_pass sha512
    password [success=1 user_unknown=ignore default=die] pam_ldap.so remember=4 use_authtok try_first_pass
    password requisite pam_deny.so
    password required pam_permit.so

I had originally had the control set to 'requisite' which apparently has a different effect than 'required'. Requisite can fail and pass control back to the application where as Required is what is needed in this case.

Also, even though pam_unix.so has a password history component (this I'm just told) there was a pam_pwhistory.so shared object (DLL) available for just this purpose. I added it to the configuration along with the argument 'remember=4' to enforce policy.

Everything is working now. Hopefully this info will be helpful to someone else.