Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I installed paintown, but it doesn't appear in unity dash, can't be run from terminal

Beans

I installed paintown, but it doesn't appear in unity dash, can't be run from terminal

When I try reinstalling, terminal will tell me its already installed, but when i try running paintown, it will say "command not found"

i then tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and did this whole cycle a few times lol (i suppose out of mild temporary insanity lol)

Nothing shows up in unity dash

but yet i'm told in terminal that it is installed.

does anyone know what to do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: I installed paintown, but it doesn't appear in unity dash, can't be run from term

In your terminal, try running paintown. If that works, use that for now and we can work on getting it to show up in the unity dash.

Beans

Re: I installed paintown, but it doesn't appear in unity dash, can't be run from term

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    In your terminal, try running paintown. If that works, use that for now and we can work on getting it to show up in the unity dash.
    in terminal, when i try running paintown, it will say "command not found"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You could try their chatroom, asking a developer for help. http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomn...nnels=paintown

If you catch one, ask them to update their ppa with packages for Ubuntu 13.04 too.
    This is my signature

Beans

Jonato, where are you installing PainTown from, because I don't see it in the software centre?
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X [Oibaf]

Beans

Hmmm, the official PPA doesn't have a package for Raring 13.04. If you're running that, then this may explain why it's not working.

I'll investigate further when I get back later. Unless someone beats me to it.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X [Oibaf]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Hmmm, the official PPA doesn't have a package for Raring 13.04. If you're running that, then this may explain why it's not working.

I'll investigate further when I get back later. Unless someone beats me to it.
    Thanks, apprieciate it

i've actually tried it on 2 different laptops (one is running 12.04, the other 13.04), got the same exact results.

i've also tried 2 methods of installing it.

one method is here: http://www.playdeb.net/updates/ubuntu/13.04/?q=paintown

the other method is here: http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/08/inst...om-ppa-on.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    You could try their chatroom, asking a developer for help. http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomn...nnels=paintown

If you catch one, ask them to update their ppa with packages for Ubuntu 13.04 too.
    yeah lol i never seem to find anyone on that chat thing

Beans

OK, so I installed the 12.10 package from the PPA, and got the following:

Code:
    bigsilly@bigsilly:~$ cd '/usr/share/paintown-3.6.1' 
    bigsilly@bigsilly:/usr/share/paintown-3.6.1$ ./paintown-bin
    [0:paintown] Give 'help' to see all the command line options.
    [0:paintown] Debug level: 0
    [0:paintown] -- BEGIN init --
    Data path is data/
    Paintown version 3.6.1
    Build date Aug 22 2012 17:34:00
    SDL Init: Ok
    [0:paintown] Could not find window icon: build/sdl/util/file-system.cpp:1570 Cannot find menu/icon.bmp. I looked in 'data/menu/icon.bmp', '/home/bigsilly/.paintown/menu/icon.bmp', 'menu/icon.bmp'
    [0:paintown] Opened audio at rate 44100 channels 2 format 32784
    [0:paintown] Notice: could not open configuration file '/home/bigsilly/.paintownrc': build/sdl/util/tokenreader.cpp:55 No tokens read from /home/bigsilly/.paintownrc
    Set graphics mode: Ok
    Initialize random number generator
    Initialize network
    -- END init --
    [0:paintown] Init took 144.384 milliseconds
    [0:paintown] Could not find the paintown default mod
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'LoadException'
      what():  std::exception
    Aborted (core dumped)
    "Missing default mod". My skills aren't good enough to fix this.

Jonato, might I recommend OpenBOR (Beats of Rage)? I've been using this for some time and there's a metric crap-ton of side-scrolling beat 'em ups available for Linux. I love it personally.

Have a good mook about the site I've linked to, and see if you can't find some good stuff there.

Beans

Source Forge link too. It can seem a bit complex at first, but it's worth a look imho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast