Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu's opportunity

Beans

Ubuntu's opportunity

Hi.

I just want to share an opinion. Looking at the status-quo, it seems like there's a unique opportunity for Canonical and Ubuntu to grow. It's awesome.

Look at Microsoft. Consider the investment done on windows 8, metro, surface and all that stuff (and I believe stuff really is the best word to describe it). It all looks very nice in the promos, and surface does look good and exciting, but I haven't met a single person that has actually tried and liked any of it. The product sucks. And it lets down the users. Hardcore anti-apple users start losing their wind and are giving in. Microsoft just tripped and fell on its knee. And Ballmer is a big guy. They'll need some time to get back up.

Now look at Apple. What the hell is going on there? They have nothing new to show the market. Nothing exciting. The design changes are even worse than Microsoft's. Jony Ive is being ridiculed by the community. Wow, the community is mocking Apple's design!

And who's being really innovative here? Canonical, that's who. Ubuntu Edge turns heads. The idea rocks.

Ubuntu as an OS is great. Stable. Beautiful. Fresh. New. It counters the "nerd factor" that Linux distros have suffered from since the beginning. People learn how to use it in a snap. It's a really good OS. With not a lot of tweaking and polishing, it would be perfect.

So what's missing? What can really turn the market in favor of Ubuntu? Adobe!

Ubuntu needs designers to start using it. It needs cool people (I'm not calling current users uncool, I'm a user myself). Get Adobe's products to work on Ubuntu natively, without Wine, without the annoyances, make it a good platform for designers to use, and you'll see Ubuntu taking over the market. Gimp's great, but it does not do the trick. Designers use Photoshop, and every single designer I've met that tried Gimp didn't turn away, they ran out the building screaming.

Make a great computer that rivals Apple in build quality, get the right tools in it, and it's the perfect escape for both ends of the market. Get designers on board and they'll make it cooler. It will grow on its own.

In fact, if Adobe would join Canonical in making an Adobe PC, you couldn't get a better shot.

Get the designers on board. It's the only thing missing.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu's opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by Helder_Cervantes View Post
    Hi.

So what's missing? What can really turn the market in favor of Ubuntu? Adobe!

Ubuntu needs designers to start using it. It needs cool people (I'm not calling current users uncool, I'm a user myself). Get Adobe's products to work on Ubuntu natively, without Wine, without the annoyances, make it a good platform for designers to use, and you'll see Ubuntu taking over the market. Gimp's great, but it does not do the trick. Designers use Photoshop, and every single designer I've met that tried Gimp didn't turn away, they ran out the building screaming.

Yeah how to do it if Adobe isn't interested in supporting Linux? This has nothing to do with Canonical.

How many people who use computers are actually designers and really *need* Photoshop? How many have actually dished out the money to buy it instead of downloading from torrent and use maybe 5% of its functionalities? For most people GIMP is more than sufficient. BTW PS is going to the cloud and for subscription only.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Yeah how to do it if Adobe isn't interested in supporting Linux? This has nothing to do with Canonical.

How many people who use computers are actually designers and really *need* Photoshop? How many have actually dished out the money to buy it instead of downloading from torrent and use maybe 5% of its functionalities? For most people GIMP is more than sufficient. BTW PS is going to the cloud and for subscription only.
    Ubuntu is already a very good end consumer OS. It does everything a "normal" user needs. For most people, give them a browser and a video player and they're set. You can talk about the gaming experience, but that depends on a lot of companies jumping in, which is hard. They'll need to see a user base before targeting them.

Developers, code oriented people are also well served.

But designers are people who make a lot more buzz than end users and developers combined. And end users follow designers, not developers. If a designer says it's cool, everybody listens. Treat them well and you'll see a lot more people talking.

But they don't have tools in Ubuntu. Not tools they'll like, at least. Blender is awesome for 3d. Openshot is awesome for video editing. Inkscape is kinda good but needs to grow, and Gimp, the most important of all, forgive me for being so blunt but it sucks. You can argue this statement, but designers just don't have the tools they need to work in Ubuntu.

Of course it doesn't need to be Adobe. You have some pretty decent alternatives to photoshop in Mac, like Pixelmator. But ask any designer, they squint at anything other than Adobe's suite.

So the real challenge is getting Adobe interested. Showing them the potential. Making them see that their clients will be interested. Specially if they build a complete solution, software AND hardware, that's officially endorsed by them. Good specs, good looks, a promise of superior performance in a specifically built environment right out of the box, and people will buy it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So the real challenge is getting Adobe interested. Showing them the potential. Making them see that their clients will be interested. Specially if they build a complete solution, software AND hardware, that's officially endorsed by them. Good specs, good looks, a promise of superior performance in a specifically built environment right out of the box, and people will buy it.
    Why would Adobe invest all that money in porting their products to Linux when:
    1. The Linux market is a speck of dust in the wind compared to Windows and Apple markets
    2. People who really need to use Adobe products dual boot

There is really no advantage for them in this.

Also, I dont know how much that would help Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution. Like monkeybrain said, for most ordinary users, a basic image program is sufficient. If they need more, they dual boot.

Beans

Get Adobe's products to work on Ubuntu natively, without Wine, without the annoyances
    This is, of course, entirely an Adobe problem.
    It's their code. They own it. Only they can change it. Nothing Ubuntu can do about it.

Lack of Linux compatibility is not an oversight. It's a considered element of Adobe's business strategy. Their management expects to be more profitable without Linux support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Chalk this up as a pipe dream. Ubuntu is going nowhere fast with independent software vendors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Adobe is one of the worst software racists and big Microsoft ally. No reason to be Linux friendly...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    Ubuntu Raring is a great OS. I don't mind storing a MS7 boot on my spare drive to run TaxAct and TomTom once a year. Linux in general is a worldwide multi-platform that can't be ignored by anyone having anything to do with development. Microsoft is near the top of the big corporate contributer's list. Between eight and twelve thousand patches are going into each kernel release every two to three months. That is nearly six patches per hour. Since seventy-five percent of kernel developers are paid and much of the software code is being developed internally by corporate interests I can't see anything that can stop Linux in general from reach top platform status. It has taken MS thirty years to evolve to where it currently stands, so I say regarding Linux and Ubuntu and an appropriate time period, Look, Listen and Learn.

rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The reason why this will fail is simple. Take a look at what Valve Corporation has done with their Steam for Linux and how miserable their return on investment has been from Linux customers so far. Linux users expect everything to be free and open source. They'll find ways to circumvent digital rights management or other protection mechanisms and then they'll share it with their friends and family members and co-workers. Linux users don't want to pay for anything ever. This is why Canonical has had such a hard time trying to monetize Ubuntu for their desktop user base.

There's no money in Linux folks! When you are the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company, why would you develop software for Linux when you know damn well it's a hole in the ground.

This is it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    The reason why this will fail is simple. Take a look at what Valve Corporation has done with their Steam for Linux and how miserable their return on investment has been from Linux customers so far. Linux users expect everything to be free and open source. They'll find ways to circumvent digital rights management or other protection mechanisms and then they'll share it with their friends and family members and co-workers. Linux users don't want to pay for anything ever. This is why Canonical has had such a hard time trying to monetize Ubuntu for their desktop user base.

There's no money in Linux folks! When you are the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company, why would you develop software for Linux when you know damn well it's a hole in the ground.

This is it.
    I think that the ratio of Windows+Mac users who pay : Windows+Mac users who pirate would be comparable to the ratio of Linux users who pay : Linux users who pirate or do not pay (by using alternative.)

It's just that there are enormously more Windows+Mac (add mobile too) users than Linux users, so the revenues to a company selling software exclusively for Linux might be unsustainable.

Also in the specific case of games, because of a lot of hassle with proprietary driver issues under Linux, people simply would buy the Windows/Mac version of the same game and use it in dual boot. The blame for this goes to the GPU driver providers and zeal for secrecy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast