Thread: No wireless connectivity using broadcom nic

Beans

No wireless connectivity using broadcom nic

Hi, I have an acer aspire 5750Z and a broadcom NIC. My OS is windows xp pro however i have created a bootable pendrive with backtrack 5 r3 using unetbootin. When i boot my laptop to backtrack i dnt have any wireless connections detected, however i have internet using ethernet. Im a newbie when it comes to linux. some more steps taken as fluke to solve the issue- installed backtrack live on the backtrack interface whch now gives me an option at startup to choose between linux and windows pro (my moms gonna kill me cuz im using her laptop for the time being) tried commands in terminal that i read from other forums - sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source sudo modprobe wl I need help my entire course is help up because of this ...

Beans

Re: No wireless connectivity using broadcom nic

There are volumes of threads about fixing broadcom and other wireless chipsets...

...I'd look at this a different way though. You are obviously a little new to linux. I would steer clear of BackTrack. It is an awesome tool, and v5 is based on Ubuntu, great. But! It's not meant to be a Prime-Time desktop OS for your Acer. Take a crack at Ubuntu 12.04 or later and see if the issue is still there. It sounds like you're in a jam that doesn't have time for troubleshooting...

(Also, all the tools from BackTrack can be installed on any Ubuntu flavor... try not to get distracted and/or overwhelmed by the goodies this early. I know it's hard! Just get a good stable distro like Ubuntu 12.04 or 13.04, and then branch out and explore from there!)

Also, don't worry about the dual-boot. It won't break anything and CAN be removed or you cab just shorten the menu screen time.

Google for "grub" and set the filter to within the last year... tons of hits. Or, "grub 2 set default".

(Problem is, it usually gets reset when there's an update... so you have to modify grub again. but it takes less than a minute... and there's probably a solution for that anyway! I haven't bothered to look cause it works for me.)

Or just look here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

If you wanna be really stealth about it, you can set it to boot Windows by default, with, say, maybe a 3 second timeout on a black screen. If you hit a key during that 3 seconds, that menu shows up, otherwise, it takes a 1 or 2 or 3 second pause and then boots into Windows anyway.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

You can set:
    • GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
      • Wait X seconds for a key to be pressed before displaying the menu. If no key is pressed during that time, boot immediately.

• GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
      • Used with the GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT setting.
      • true - No countdown is displayed. The screen will be blank.
      • false - A counter will display on a blank screen for the duration of the GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT value.
      • This feature currently appears to be broken; the timeout counter isn't appearing when set to 'false' or not set.

This way Mom won't have to freak out...! I went through the same scenario with my wife!

HTH
    K9SPY
    Last edited by kc-koellein; September 4th, 2013 at 07:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kc-koellein View Post
    There are volumes of threads about fixing broadcom and other wireless chipsets...

...I'd look at this a different way though. You are obviously a little new to linux. I would steer clear of BackTrack. It is an awesome tool, and v5 is based on Ubuntu, great. But! It's not meant to be a Prime-Time desktop OS for your Acer. Take a crack at Ubuntu 12.04 or later and see if the issue is still there. It sounds like you're in a jam that doesn't have time for troubleshooting...

(Also, all the tools from BackTrack can be installed on any Ubuntu flavor... try not to get distracted and/or overwhelmed by the goodies this early. I know it's hard! Just get a good stable distro like Ubuntu 12.04 or 13.04, and then branch out and explore from there!)

Also, don't worry about the dual-boot. It won't break anything and CAN be removed or you cab just shorten the menu screen time.

Google for "grub" and set the filter to within the last year... tons of hits. Or, "grub 2 set default".

(Problem is, it usually gets reset when there's an update... so you have to modify grub again. but it takes less than a minute... and there's probably a solution for that anyway! I haven't bothered to look cause it works for me.)

Or just look here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

If you wanna be really stealth about it, you can set it to boot Windows by default, with, say, maybe a 3 second timeout on a black screen. If you hit a key during that 3 seconds, that menu shows up, otherwise, it takes a 1 or 2 or 3 second pause and then boots into Windows anyway.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

You can set:
    • GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
      • Wait X seconds for a key to be pressed before displaying the menu. If no key is pressed during that time, boot immediately.

• GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
      • Used with the GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT setting.
      • true - No countdown is displayed. The screen will be blank.
      • false - A counter will display on a blank screen for the duration of the GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT value.
      • This feature currently appears to be broken; the timeout counter isn't appearing when set to 'false' or not set.

This way Mom won't have to freak out...! I went through the same scenario with my wife!

HTH
    K9SPY

Hi,
    Thnks for the reply. But i guess the problem is not the dual-boot. I got tht sorted. The real problem is the initial bit. I tried evrything for the wireless .... chked other forums as well ... no go

it does not detect the wireless whatsoever .... Im sure there are some drivers tht i need to install .. i dnt know where to get them ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Welcome to the Forums ezee2 !!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezee2 View Post
    I tried evrything for the wireless .... chked other forums as well ... no go
    It sounds like you really have tried too many things. So it warrants a deep diagnostics. Please follow the "Wireless Script" link in my signature, follow the instructions in the linked post (you'd probably need the "No Internet" method) to download and run the script, and post back the report the script generates.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

ok ... il follow ur "wireless script" ... and should i post the report back here ??? ...

also to add to this ... i have internet via ethernet... so i guess i can use the cable internet method right ???

Beans
    Distro

Right, you should use the 1st method, although you can use any one, doesn't matter.

Post back the result file (or its contents, enclosed within "Code" tags) for us to see.
    Varun

Beans

This is what i got after following the "wireless script" from ur signature... ive copied and pasted the info frm the wireless-info.txt file below :

Code:
    *************** info trace ***************

***** uname -a *****

Linux bt 3.2.6 #1 SMP Fri Feb 17 10:40:05 EST 2012 i686 GNU/Linux

***** lsb_release *****

Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
    Release:    10.04
    Codename:    lucid

***** lspci *****

02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57785 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:16b5] (rev 10)
        Kernel driver in use: tg3
        Kernel modules: tg3
    02:00.1 SD Host controller [0805]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM57765 Memory Card Reader [14e4:16bc] (rev 10)
        Kernel driver in use: sdhci-pci
        Kernel modules: sdhci-pci
    --
    03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43227 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4358]

***** lsusb *****

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f3:02f4 Elan Microelectronics Corp. 2.4G Cordless Mouse
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04fc:2801 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd 
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

***** PCMCIA Card Info *****

***** iwconfig *****

***** rfkill *****

0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no

***** lsmod *****

***** nm-tool *****

***** NetworkManager.state *****

***** NetworkManager.conf *****

***** interfaces *****

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
    iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
    iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

***** iwlist *****

***** resolv.conf *****

nameserver 192.168.1.1

***** blacklist *****

[/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ath_pci.conf]
    blacklist ath_pci

[/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bt.conf]
    blacklist rt2870sta
    blacklist rt2860sta

[/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf]
    blacklist evbug
    blacklist ar9170usb
    blacklist r8187
    blacklist ath_pci
    blacklist usbmouse
    blacklist usbkbd
    blacklist eepro100
    blacklist de4x5
    blacklist eth1394
    blacklist snd_intel8x0m
    blacklist snd_aw2
    blacklist i2c_i801
    blacklist prism54
    blacklist bcm43xx
    blacklist garmin_gps
    blacklist asus_acpi
    blacklist snd_pcsp
    blacklist pcspkr
    blacklist amd76x_edac

***** modinfo *****

***** udev rules *****

# PCI device 0x14e4:0x16b5 (tg3)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="<MAC address removed>", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

***** dmesg *****

[   10.587088] psmouse serio1: elantech: assuming hardware version 3 (with firmware version 0x450f01)

****************** done ******************

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ezee2 View Post
    Code:
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
    Release:    10.04
    Codename:    lucid
    I should say - "Game Over". The version you have installed is outdated and you won't normally get support or packages for it.

The first advice is - download the ISO of 12.04 (via torrent), burn a CD or create a live USB from the iso and install it.

Both the wired and wireless connections will work while installing (it will always work in live mode). So make sure to check the checkboxes for "Install Updates" and "Install third party software" when you get to that screen. This will download the proprietary driver that works with your card, and will install it. After installation is finished, you'll have a working wireless connection.

If however, for whatever reasons, you wish to make the current one work, you will need to change the source of software packages, then you can install the driver for it. It is not recommended, but let me know if you wish to go that way anyway.
    Varun