Thread: Which is a better buy?

Beans

Which is a better buy?

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-X201E-DH0...d_sim_sbs_pc_1
    http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-X202E-DB2...RIK_B00CWISC5I

I plan on buying one of these and im trying to figure out which is better.

thanks,
    tahdas

Beans

Re: Which is a better buy?

The 202 has a touchscreen, I'd buy it for that alone.

you also get a Windows 8 license in case you need that for anything. Depending on who you are, that is worth nothing or worth... I don't know... $100?

The 202 has 500GB vs. 320 GB on the 201. Both have PLENTY but the 202 DOES have more...

I'm not familiar with the processors, but I have found that anything in this class is sufficient for 95% of users. It's only video gamers and power users that need to be picky about that stuff.

What is your time worth? the time you spend researching is valuable. I enjoyed taking a look... but not a full exhaustive evaluation. If you want more help, I highly recommend Tom's Hardware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/

Go there and search the processors for info on what they will provide for you. Perhaps one is very low power consumption and greatly extends your battery life? POst in their forums and ask Processor A vs. Processor B in the subject line. Those folks LOVE to discuss hardware pros and cons!

All other things considered, I'd pay the $60 extra dollars for the touchscreen.

HTH,
    K9SPY

Beans

Thanks.

I actually dislike touch screens very much, especially when they're on laptops. I could go into gory details, but i'll spare you.

More GB is a pro. I asked on tom hardware and im waiting for some reply's.

Anyway thanks again,
    tahdas

Beans

Beyond touchscreens and Hard Drives, if you buy either of these, you're getting a recently outdated processor, the Haswell (4th Gen) Intel processors for notebooks/subnotebooks are being released this month. If you wait for Asus to release the new processors, you will be getting a faster processor, that runs cooler and uses less power, which should give you up to 50% more battery life. And if you care, the new processors are supposed to give much better integrated gaming performance (if that matters to you).

Beans

In a laptop look for low power processors since battery usage may be important and longevity is important (heat kills electronics).
    I'm with warren on this except I would go with any of the i3, i5, i7 intel processors and not just the current haswell revision.
    AMD processors use more power - a possible tradeoff between longevity and initial price.

I always get 7200 rpm drives (as opposed to 5400 rpm). The amount of time it takes the drive to spin to the location of the data is a bottleneck.
    Solid state drives aren't here yet but are coming. I am not convinced that cache size on the drive improves performance.
    Linux uses an io buffer cache which occupies the ram. Write speed is uneffected since linux schedules writes asynchronously and then goes on about other tasks. When the drive is ready to receive the data, linux gets an interrupt and does the transfer. So it may not speed up writes. On read side getting a hit in the drive cache is purely probablistic as to whether the data was accessed previously. So opening a file for a first time is unaffected. If it was touched in the past well then it very well may still be in the linux io buffer cache and so the drive cache is irrelevant. The benefit of drive caches need to be supported by study - so I could be ignorant here.

Disk size hasn't been important for me - I have yet to run out of space but that is a user specific issue.

Regarding screen features, I personally do not value touch screens but different strokes for different folks. The fact that you consider two models, one with and one without, suggests it is not important for you. Screen size is important. The tradeoff is size for viewing size versus size for lugging it around. A traveler wants a small screen. A homebody wants a big screen.

The graphics processors are standardized on these machines and there is a big price jump to get faster rendering. (Interestingly the gpu's with there standardized graphics are being merged onto the cpus - case in point some versions of i3, i5, i7 intel lines include the gpu write on the cpu processor chip.)

I think it is still impossible to buy a cheap laptop without having it infected with the Bill Gates virus. I haven't found a need to boot on a windows sytem for a long time now.

I found a crappy office depot system meeting the above criteria for under $300 except for the hard drive speed. Change out the hard drive with a 7200 rpm drive (an easy task) and your in the same price range. BTW - usually the bill gates virus infected systems allow you to generate factory restore DVDs. So make the DVDs, change in the 7200rpm drive, reinstall the virus, then unbuntu, and you to can waste the drive space of your unbuntu system with a quarrentined bill gates virus.

Spend just a few more bucks to get a SATA USB adapter and then you can use the 5200 rpm boat anchor as a backup device.
    Last edited by AnotherBrian; September 5th, 2013 at 10:43 AM.

Beans

Thanks guys! Your input has been helpful.

Here the thing though, i need a computer that's under 3 pound and under $500. You have to spend at least double that to find a good computer with the my specs and your suggested specs. Not to mention that the computer probably wouldn't have VGA port, which is something i'd would really like to have.

Is it possible to somehow "un-soder' the processor and replace it with a higher end fourth gen processor? I also heard that i could replace the hard drive with SSD, and that that would improve the performance of the laptop. http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Celeron-...sin=B009F1I16K

Is there a computer that meet my specs that has i3+ processor that is under $500?

Thanks guys!