Thread: SSH Access from anywhere

Hybrid View

Beans

SSH Access from anywhere

So I have just installed the ubuntu server 13.04 and when I was installing it I checked that I want SSH to be installed with it.
    Now when I want to test it, I can't access SSH from anywhere, not even from lan, it just simply says Incorrect Password no matter what.
    But when I use ssh localhost on the actual server, then it allows me to connect and the password is just fine.
    I have checked the ssh_config and it has: "Hosts *" and in the sshd_config there is "PermitRoot yes" (or something like that), which means I should be able to access it...

Beans

Re: SSH Access from anywhere

Oh my god, this was the stupidest mistake I have ever made.
    On my console, when i press SHIFT + 2 it makes "
    But in my computer it is @
    I am so ashamed of myself

Please lock this topic.

Chalk it up to "Experience".
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Vilsol,

You can mark this thread as solved, using the thread tools (please just search for the term "thread tools" in this page, you'd see a dropdown menu).

Beans

I don't understand why anybody would set "PermitRootLogin" to yes, particularly on a Ubuntu box where root account login is disabled by default anyhow. Users should ssh in using their own account (so you can see in the log files who it is at the very least!), and then use sudo. If you want to run root scripts remotely then set "PermitRootLogin without-password".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    I don't understand why anybody would set "PermitRootLogin" to yes, particularly on a Ubuntu box where root account login is disabled by default anyhow. Users should ssh in using their own account (so you can see in the log files who it is at the very least!), and then use sudo. If you want to run root scripts remotely then set "PermitRootLogin without-password".
    It is set to yes by default.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...