Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you purchased a Linux game lately?

Beans

Re: Have you purchased a Linux game lately?

Quote Originally Posted by ThoseTimesAreGone View Post
    Currently waiting to purchase Tropico 5
    Will that be on Linux, or do you just plan on using Wine?

I just bought 4 in the Humble Bundle, and I love it. Haven't tried it with Wine yet (have dual-boot Win7), but I heard there aren't any problems. Want to ditch Win in my next PC.

Beans

I stumbled upon an open-source FPS called Red Eclipse that is cross-platform. It runs very smoothly on my older PC and is 100% free (not pay-to-win like many games out there these days). It kinda reminds me of Quake 3 with the maps, controls, and guns. Really fun and nice-performing multiplayer. The download is like 600 MB so it's definitely worth looking at!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I have bought Crusader Kings II. I haven't seen any other games that interests me. I have no problem supporting devs by buying their games, but come on. At least 70% of the games in the steam linux section is games that could have been played on PSone. And at least 50% of those could have been played on commodere 64.

If they want us to buy games, then they have to start to make quality games. I am not obsessed with good graphics, but PC games today should at least have graphics up to par with PS3 games.

I am from the commodere 64 generation, and I did enjoy them at the time. But I do not enjoy playing them now. That is because the graphic is archaic and the gameplay to simple.

Crusader Kings II has some serious troubles. I can't play it properly, even though my PC is much better then the minimum specs. If anyone know of something you could do to make it play properly, please let me know.

To the OP. I know you said no negativity, but I feel that would be wrong. We should at least have a healthy discussion about linux games.

Note: These are my opinions. Feel free to point out what you disagree with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ThoseTimesAreGone View Post
    i try to only buy the highest quality games...

amnesia AMFP, Legend of Grimrock, trine 2, serious sam 3 bfe, and helped kickstart Dreamfall chapters.

Currently waiting to purchase Tropico 5 , meto light 2033, and eador as well when these games come out.
    Then you should try both Wargames. They are up there with Total War with RTS, and that is with a capital S! You will need a powerful rig though to get the best eye candy otherwise you'll be playing on low to medium settings.

Here's a video showcasing the engine. Awesome RTS engine! The video is completely in game engine and not a custom video. It is when you zoom in to the units and action just like Total War. I find myself playing from a bird's eye view up high most of the time though but do zoom in to view the havoc awesomeness!

set youtube to 720p or more and take a glimpse... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbXaAu6kgNc
    Last edited by DanglingPointer; October 2nd, 2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added detail

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'll buy today this:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ3NTQ

On my wishlist are:
    -Metro last night
    -Counter Strike Global Offensive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just purchased ARMA Tactics on steam. Never played it before. It looks promising hopefully I'm not disappointed. No reputable reviews on it yet from the large game journals like IGN etc.

Currently playing Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief on the last chapter. It may not have the best graphics but man it is a well written and thought out game! Very deep! Haven't played an adventure game like it since Leisure Suit Larry a couple of decades back! I may get the developer's other game The Book of Unwritten Tales which is also on Steam Linux. It scored a 9/10 on IGN.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cave Story+ reminds me of zelda a little bit. Having some with it, i picked it up in one of the Humble Bundles where they were all mostly linux games.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Prime624 View Post
    Will that be on Linux, or do you just plan on using Wine?

I just bought 4 in the Humble Bundle, and I love it. Haven't tried it with Wine yet (have dual-boot Win7), but I heard there aren't any problems. Want to ditch Win in my next PC.
    I do not believe in Wine. Too much trouble for what you get out of it. I do not have the time to sit around and apply fixes for my pc. Pointless imo. Native client or nothing. If i want a game and its not on linux, i go to forums and post about it... I just posted on Path of Exile forums asking for a linux client. Native software is what we need if we want more support and wider adoption. thats not gonna happen with cross compatability clients imo. Esp b/c of how buggy they are.

Tropico 5 is coming to linux .

http://steamforlinux.com/?q=en/node/329

Open source can be great but we need to put our money where our mouth is. Ubuntu is leading the pack and that is great. I donated money to them recently as well. Thinking about donating some to libre office also.
    Last edited by ThoseTimesAreGone; October 4th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.

Beans

I own Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike on Steam. Steam on Linux is really great, it's definitely going to help a lot the Linux gaming scene, and there are new games appearing at a constant rate which are ported to Linux. Except for Half-Life, take Football Manager 2014 which will also be made available on Linux. To say nothing about DotA 2, Team Fortress 2, Crusader Kings. Oh, and I forgot Amnesia (which was native to Linux long before Valve ported Steam).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I just bought Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on Steam, it's currently on sale for the weekend, knowing that a Linux version is coming out soon.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast