Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Have you purchased a Linux game lately?

Beans

Re: Have you purchased a Linux game lately?

iBomber Defence Pacific, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Killing Floor, Rochard, World of Goo, Condition Zero. I want to good old strategy game to be released i will be much more happier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by protoss96 View Post
    iBomber Defence Pacific, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Killing Floor, Rochard, World of Goo, Condition Zero. I want to good old strategy game to be released i will be much more happier.
    In my opinion, the best strategy game available natively to linux are both Wargames; European Escalation and Airland Battle (a draw). Check it out on Steam or Youtube.

They are RTS's and I would say kinda like the Total War games from Creative Assembly except that they are based on modern warfare.

They also require quite a powerful machine to turn on all the eye candy. I've got a 5870 and can only run the games on medium settings. Even at that graphical fidelity setting though (medium), war had never looked so mesmerizingly beautiful! It is a good looking game and great playing game!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by DanglingPointer View Post
    In my opinion, the best strategy game available natively to linux are both Wargames; European Escalation and Airland Battle (a draw). Check it out on Steam or Youtube.

They are RTS's and I would say kinda like the Total War games from Creative Assembly except that they are based on modern warfare.

They also require quite a powerful machine to turn on all the eye candy. I've got a 5870 and can only run the games on medium settings. Even at that graphical fidelity setting though (medium), war had never looked so mesmerizingly beautiful! It is a good looking game and great playing game!
    I will have to add that, IMHO, the best Linux strategy game is Dominions 3 (from Steam or Desura) or Dominions 4 (Desura only, I think), by far. No turn-based strategic game at all offeres what these games offer. Graphically an inch wide, and Marianas Trench depth.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red face Re: Have you purchased a Linux game lately?

Just took the plunge and bought Metro Last Light.

Just started playing and already I'm AWE-STRUCK! Beautiful game and it is really milking my aging Radeon HD 5870 for what its worth (running on above-medium settings)! Looking forward to a new card purchase later this month to max out the settings!

Beans

What about buying nVidia then? If you get a new card for linux go for it since the fglrx driver is not only crap but horrible. Actually I used to be something like a ATI fanboy. There fglrx driver pushed me to nVidia.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm more of a nVidia fan than an ATI one, myself. I bought a $500 Wal-Mart PC which had (two years ago) the lowest-end DX11 ATI card (don't remember the model). I bought the lowest-end (at the time) nVidia card, the 520. Last winter, I upgraded to the 650ti. Of course, the 650ti Boost was announced exactly one week later. Such is life. I have no complaints whatsoever with the current card I have. Even Trine2, which I think is the most punishing-to-the-GPU game I think I have, runs at at least 50 fps. The newer nVidia cards, of course, are even better.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    I'm more of a nVidia fan than an ATI one, myself. I bought a $500 Wal-Mart PC which had (two years ago) the lowest-end DX11 ATI card (don't remember the model). I bought the lowest-end (at the time) nVidia card, the 520. Last winter, I upgraded to the 650ti. Of course, the 650ti Boost was announced exactly one week later. Such is life. I have no complaints whatsoever with the current card I have. Even Trine2, which I think is the most punishing-to-the-GPU game I think I have, runs at at least 50 fps. The newer nVidia cards, of course, are even better.
    I think Metro: Last Light is the most GPU (maybe CPU as well?) demanding game. And also the best looking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nvidia do make fine drivers for Linux and AMD is now playing catch up; however here is the equation as it stands:

FACTS:
    1) Nvidia has the best linux propriety drivers for Linux and the worse open source drivers for Linux
    2) AMD has the worse propriety drivers for Linux and the best open source drivers for Linux
    3) AMD is paying developers to help the open source drivers catch up
    4) AMD's latest GPU architecture offers Nvidia Titan-like performance for half price at the cost of noise and heat.
    5) AMD has their gpu on all next-gen consoles (Nintendo, PS4, XBONE)
    6) There are orders of magnitude more quality game-developers for consoles and will be looking to "code direct to metal" their games for those said consoles.
    7) AMD has just released Mantle "direct to metal" GCN API for PC which makes it easier to port games developed to metal on consoles to PC.
    8) AAA game developers are already signed up to Mantle as I write this and more are following. It is a business decision primarily then an engineering decision secondary (a]they want less dev-time and smaller dev-budgets, b]they want prettier, smoother graphics)
    9) Nvidia is rapidly dropping prices for their products across the board
    10) Nvidia is releasing a fully enabled consumer Tesla card called the GTX 780 Ti costing more than AMD's flagship
    11) Nvidia cards will not be able to utilise Mantle
    12) BF4 is the only game currently using Mantle and the Mantle version (or patch) isn't out yet.
    13) The card I'm buying has to last 4-5 years and play decently at the point at the end of its life (play on medium settings) just like my HD 5870 which can still play Metro Last Light.
    14) GPU board OEM's will be releasing custom cooled AMD boards before Christmas (hoping by the end of this month with reviews).

So now my problem is how to sum up the above!?!?!? AND, what is that sum, what card does it equate to and when?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DanglingPointer View Post
    12) BF4 is the only game currently using Mantle and the Mantle version (or patch) isn't out yet.
    Sure? I heard Mantle will be an "open" (not exactly open source) API.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567