Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updating Ubuntu- IBM T40

Beans

Updating Ubuntu- IBM T40

Hello All,

Newbie here for sure - love your forum!

Just installed Ububtu 11 on my IBM T40 - runs very well, but states it is not supported anymore and asks to be updated.
    I am afraid that an update would cripple my T40 which does not have High Memory support (can't remember the term but sounded like PSA - and I know it has nothing to do with the prostate).

Thanks in advance,

Rainer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Updateing Ubuntu- IBM T40

Open a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T) and copy and paste this into it
    Code:
    df -lh /
    This will give used and available memory. Post the result for our inspection. My 12.04 LTS takes up only 6.1 GB. You should really be on this version to be assured of support until 2017.
    Last edited by whitesmith; September 2nd, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans

^^^ that's disk space, not memory

rainerfeyer, I guess you are probably referring to PAE <-- lots of info there, including options for lighter weight desktops which may be more suitable for slower machines with lower amounts of RAM (I have an old X30 btw)

Beans

TY Both!

PAE - that's it! I will do some reading at the link you provided - tried an install of U12 first, but system hung repeatedly, so I figured it's not for this T40.

My current status shows: Memory 495.9 Processor Intel Pentium M 1500MHz 32bit, 36 gig disk space

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation Re: Updating Ubuntu- IBM T40

Quote Originally Posted by rainerfeyer View Post
    Hello All,

Newbie here for sure - love your forum!

Just installed Ububtu 11 on my IBM T40 - runs very well, but states it is not supported anymore and asks to be updated.
    I am afraid that an update would cripple my T40 which does not have High Memory support (can't remember the term but sounded like PSA - and I know it has nothing to do with the prostate).

Thanks in advance,

Rainer
    Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 are EOLs (have reached their End-Of-Life)

Always: BACKUP YOUR DATA!

Recommended: install Lubuntu-fake-PAE 13.04. Install options: "Upgrade Ubuntu 11.xx to Lubuntu 13.04". Follow the instructions.

Not recommended: in the terminal, type:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Edit as follows:
    to:
    Last edited by mörgæs; September 20th, 2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Removed excess !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -Jonathan

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

If the PAE-workaround is too cumbersome you can also install the non-PAE version of Bodhi. See the link in my signature.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Jonathan,where would I find the instructions for the update? Would that go through the Software Manager?
    Also, will not give up this time - Will never use Win8 so I am starting to get used to Linux with a couple of non-essential laptops.

Beans

Re: Updating Ubuntu- IBM T40

I tried a couple of versions: Xubuntu and PCLinuxOS - Xubuntu was too confusing in the beginning - could not figure how to mount a Network Windows drive. PCLinuxOS seemed 'Nice', but I could not get used to the software updater.
    Did try the newer version of Ubunto, but after 5 hours install it was still crawling along.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    ^^^ that's disk space, not memory[snip]
    If the OP has enough RAM to run v11* he certainly has enough to run v12* so disk space--secondary memory--becomes an issue...just to dot the Is and cross the Ts.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans

Re: Updating Ubuntu- IBM T40

Hmm - not sure if I should try again with Ubuntu 12? Maybe I had a bad disk? Would it be best to get-app (trying to show I know something, which is nothing) or go from DVD again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast