Thread: Random pink / blue lines on screen which disappears with image

Beans

Random pink / blue lines on screen which disappears with image

Hi,

I have a Dell Studio 1555. It was running Windows 7 and now i have changed it to Ubuntu 12.04.1.

The problem I have is a bit ridiculous. For some pictures alone, a quarter portion of the screen shows pink and blue horizontal lines. I tried taking a screen print, but the lines do not appear on them. Also funny thing is, if i scroll the picture up or down, the lines shift in position as well along with the picture.

Searching on Google pointed me to laptops with broken / faulty video cards. But i have a strong feeling this is not so.

I am relatively new to linux. If you think there is something more i can specify to help diagnose, kindly advise.

Regards

Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Random pink / blue lines on screen which disappears with image

Do you have VLC opened (or any other video player)? This happened to me in the past.
    You know what solved my problems? GOOGLE Searches!
    The best Ubuntu derivative: Linux Mint
    Relax. Head to the Community Cafe
    The Philippine Team

Beans

It happens when VLC is open as well. Else, while using internet as well for some images this happens. I thought initially it was for dark colored images, but recently started noticing it for light color images.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's probably your graphics driver. I read this laptop has ATI graphics, so maybe you have to install some ATI drivers. It must be mentioned somewhere on this forum how to do it.

Beans

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone.

I checked the graphics card driver. I have installed the proprietary ATI driver for Ubuntu. I think it is called catalyst. I am wondering if there is some configuration that i could do to prevent the lines from appearing.

Beans

I am sorry to ask this, but i remember having Windows tools from Dell to check the health of LCD Screen. Is it possible to check the health of graphics card by some measure?