Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam on Ubuntu with LXDE/XFCE/GNOME Desktop

Beans

Steam on Ubuntu with LXDE/XFCE/GNOME Desktop

I'm 17, and I've just recently started dabbling in Linux, and right now I'm running off of Ubuntu 12.04 from a 32GiB Sandisk. I can boot from the thumb drive on any computer I come into contact with. Right now, I'm having a problem. I was getting annoyed with the default Unity desktop, so I installed Gnome, LXDE, and XFCE, just to try out different control methods. As of yet, I prefer the LXDE desktop, as it is best organized, but I noticed a couple of drawbacks. Primarily, when I try to start steam, it just comes up with a message that looks just like the steam update window, but instead of "Updating Steam," it used to say "Updating %appname%." and disappears almost immediately. It still disappears, but what it now says is in the screenshot. I have to be in Unity to use it, and this severely slows down the computer when I try to play a game, even one like Psychonauts. It doesn't even work in Gnome. Secondly, there's a problem with the volume control in LXDE, that is that if you ever mute it, you have to go into the administrator audio mixer settings and unmute it. From there, I can just control the volume with the shortcut buttons on my keyboard. I can mute it with the shortcut, but not unmute. Any suggestions on how to get a taskbar item for volume control, or how to get Steam to work in my other desktop themes?

Any Help Appreciated,

Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Steam on Ubuntu with LXDE/XFCE/GNOME Desktop

I have not encountered the Steam problem you have; I would recommend unstalling Steam and reinstalling it.

I also use LXDE, and the volume control problem you describe isn't something I have seen (yet).

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

I found out that what was going on with steam was that I had incorrectly re-installed it in an attempt to solve the first part of the problem, and am currently updating it before it starts. I'm in LXDE and it's working fine, but I haven't started the client yet, so if it continues to give me problems on that part, I'll reply here again.

Beans

Yep, it's still doing it.
    Even when it finished updating, when I started the launcher, it took quite a while to "unpack the steam runtime" and when that finished, it seemed like nothing happened.
    Then I clicked the desktop steam shortcut and the update window just barely blipped on for a millisecond, and i was barely able to see it.
    Tried it again in ubuntu unity, and same thing.
    I'm gonna try just completely scrapping and reinstalling ubuntu, as it seems to work just at first, but then stops working later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Before you reinstall (if you haven't already) could you try running Steam from a terminal and copy/paste the output in code tags on here? Knowing what's going on behind the scenes could help enormously.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Steam on Ubuntu with LXDE/XFCE/GNOME Desktop

So, I have a similar problem that the original poster describes. I wanted to test out LXDE to see if my Steam games would run any smoother, so I installed LXDE from the Software Center, rebooted, chose LXDE as my desktop environment prior to logging in (which loaded up just fine), and then tried to launch Steam. For me, Steam also just had a blip of the GUI pop up stating "Verifying installation..." (this is in my ZIP file I uploaded) and then nothing else happens graphically. I figured the problem was with LXDE, so I rebooted and went back to Unity. Now I get the same results, with just a blip of the Steam GUI loading and nothing else.

I then concluded my Steam installation was broken, so I tried to fully reinstall Steam from scratch, but the methods I choose don't seem to be able to get me back to a usable Steam client. I have attempted the following methods to reinstall my Steam client on Unity:

1. Removed and reinstalled Steam using the graphical Ubuntu "Software Center".
    2. Ran in terminal: sudo apt-get remove steam-launcher (and then later: sudo apt-get install steam-launcher)
    3. Ran in terminal: sudo apt-get purge steam-launcher (and then later: sudo apt-get install steam-launcher)
    4. In all of the above, I also manually deleted the following directories before reinstalling: ~/.steam and ~/.local/share/Steam

Additionally, I recorded what error messages are reported in a terminal by launching Steam via the "steam" command (this is also in the ZIP file I uploaded). The first part of the output is regarding the re-building of my Steam client files (from a fresh install) and the rest of the output is what will result if I kill out the previous "steam" command and re-run "steam", resulting in a bunch of "GLXBadDrawable" messages from Steam. Be aware that even though no Steam GUI loads up, the Steam process is still running in the background unless I kill it, which I have confirmed with "top" (even though nothing happens if I wait for 20+ minutes, and the Steam client only uses up between 1-3% of my CPU which I think is low from when it was working fine).

* My system: I am running Ubuntu 13.04 (64-bit) with an NVIDIA driver (GeForce 310M) on a Samsung Q430 laptop (Intel i5 CPU M450 @ 2.40GHz x 2 Cores, 4.0 GB of RAM). Keep in mind that prior to me using LXDE, every Steam game I had worked flawlessly for over 4 months, so I do not think it is my NVIDIA driver, as every other graphical app I use (Firefox, Konversation, Thunderbird, et cetera) still works fine in Unity.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by junktext-0; September 8th, 2013 at 04:41 AM.

Beans

Quick update, but still no resolution: So, after I performed all of the above, I decided to check to make sure my "steam-launcher" was fully updated as I thought that I remember when I did the "apt-get install" process it had an older version from the current Ubuntu repositories vs. Valve's Steam repositories once Steam is installed. I was correct. Even if you do a "sudo apt-get update" prior to running "sudo apt-get install steam-launcher" you'll get stuck with Steam v1.0.0.35. So, after I fully reinstalled Steam, I did another "sudo apt-get update" and then ran "sudo apt-get -s upgrade" (to simulate upgrading to tell me if anything has changed). There indeed was an update to my Steam client, so I ran "sudo apt-get upgrade" (without the -s flag) and it installed the latest Steam v1.0.0.41.

However, after all of this exciting news, I still cannot make Steam work again. It just reports the same messages to my terminal that I already logged in my ZIP file.
    Last edited by junktext-0; September 8th, 2013 at 04:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Have you tried downloading the package from Steam's website? I have fixed a weirded-out Steam installation myself that way.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

oldrocker99, thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately this didn't work either. Although, your method of downloading the latest .deb from www.steampowered.com helped to provide me with the very latest Steam client (v1.0.0.41) without me having to go through the odd double usage of an "apt-get update" as I mentioned earlier. After installing and running, Steam went through the process of pretending it was updating the client files by downloading a 163 MB of something (like it did in my past example, which was logged to my previous terminal output). The most obvious thing that sticks out to me is that the Steam GUI has some weird neon colors (the blue and green) rather than the black and grey colors expected by Steam. I feel like there is some crazy X11 setting jacking up Steam, but the thing is I am surprised only Steam is having this problem. None of my other software that uses X11 is having a problem. So, I don't dare blame LXDE for being buggy (as Firefox ran fine in that environment, as it still does in Unity). With this, I assume Steam is its own problem and doesn't like to play nicely when switching around with desktop environments.

Beans

Well, it's now working for me, and I've already finished my whole game that I got, which was Psychonauts. What worked for me was to install the current 304 NVidia driver, but not the updates, just the original. Oddly enough, the 'recommended' driver provided by canonical, was a very old update, 174.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast