Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to install wireless drivers for Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/n

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unable to install wireless drivers for Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/n

Quote Originally Posted by mrashevski View Post
    Code:
    /var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/6.20.155.1+bdcom/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211.c:705:26: error: ‘struct cfg80211_ibss_params’ has no member named ‘channel’
    /var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/6.20.155.1+bdcom/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211.c:1991:11: error: ‘struct cfg80211_bss’ has no member named ‘information_elements’
    /var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/6.20.155.1+bdcom/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211.c:1992:15: error: ‘struct cfg80211_bss’ has no member named ‘len_information_elements’
    Hmm.. evidently, it is a discrepancy in the source code of the driver which I'm not sure I can rectify without a lot of research. However, you can compile the official driver from broadcom's site. Similar discrepancies exist in that one too, but we figured that one out sometime ago.

Please follow the instructions in this post to download and compile the driver : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12629619

Although the post was written for a different card, hopefully, the same driver should work for you too.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

Thank you! I almost got it from the link you gave me. Everything except for the last command worked fine:

Code:
    root@ubuntu:/home/milan/Desktop/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112# update-initramfs -u
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-29-generic
    Warning: No support for locale: en_GB.utf8
    I will check it out once more. Please, tell me if you come up with a solution. Thank you again for your time and efforts!

Beans
    Distro

You're welcome, and troubleshooting is fun

Warnings are okay, as long as they don't lead to 'errors'. Just try the newly installed driver (wl) and if it doesn't behave nicely, follow the "Wireless Script" link in my signature, follow the instructions to run the script and post back the report it generates. Although I hope (with fingers crossed ) that you won't need it.
    Varun

Beans

Re: HELP! Unable to install wireless drivers for Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/n

Hello, again! The card is Broadcom Corporation BCM43227 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4358]. After struggling, installing and uninstalling, my highest progress was to see "Wireless interface" for 5min, until the restart of the computer - new errors and the card was again just "Network controller". I feel a bit stupid and a bit desperate, so if anyone has any suggestions, please help! Should I try older version of Linux?

If somebody experience similar problem, the most useful links are:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...0STA%20drivers (general information)
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/jockey/+bug/989610 (steffen and doubi's replies)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12629619

Well, again - if somebody has time and patience to give a hand to a newcomer, I will appreciate it a lot! Take care!

p.s. thanks a lot to varunendra, who invested so much time this afternoon.

Beans
    Distro

Re: HELP! Unable to install wireless drivers for Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/n

The card is Broadcom Corporation BCM43227 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4358].
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/jockey/+bug/989610 (steffen and doubi's replies)
    The steffen's suggestion on the bug report page won't work for everyone. There are certain models of broadcom chips that won't work with the suggested b43 driver. Your card is one of them and will only work with the proprietary 'wl' driver. See http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...ported_devices

Even if you try an older version, either it will be outdated (not supported anymore, thus possibly causing different problems) or will be using the same newer version of the kernel which the default driver is having compiling problems with.

Please run the "Wireless Script" (following the link in my signature) and post back its result here. It should be easier to decide the best course of action with the detailed information it will give us.

PS:
    Hanging out on the forums is the favourite time-pass for many of us (as long as we have time to pass ). So no problems there.
    Varun

Beans

I am also strugggling with same problem

Beans

Hello, everybody! A friend of mine dedicated several hours and solved it, don't ask me exactly how, I was asleep after whole day of struggling. : ) It keeps giving me error to report sometimes, but I just ignore it and use my wireless! The driver installed is this one: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...+build/4761504

So may be it's not for the same chip, but it works for me. I hope a more proper solution would be found soon. Take care and good luck!

Beans
    Distro

Congratulations !!
    The driver installed is this one: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...+build/4761504

So may be it's not for the same chip, but it works for me. I hope a more proper solution would be found soon. Take care and good luck!
    It is the same proprietary driver 'wl', only a newer version, perhaps with some modifications in the source code to suite the 64bit kernel.

The package 'bcmwl....' is the name of the source package, the driver it creates is always 'wl.ko' and it is called by the system as just 'wl'. You can use the command - "nm-tool" to confirm that.

Thanks for the link, it is very helpful for both who are looking for help and those of us who try to help.
    Hopefully, it will make its way in forthcoming updates.
    Varun

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gorvatsal2191 View Post
    I am also strugggling with same problem
    Welcome to the forums gorvatsal2191 !!

Wireless issues are very subjective and their reasons as well as solutions can vary from person to person.

So unless you are absolutely sure you have the same card using the same driver (on the same version of Ubuntu), I'd suggest to start your own thread and post the details of your problem.

If you are sure you have the same problem, try the driver that mrashevski linked to in the above post. It is a .deb file, so you can just double-click to install it.
    Varun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12