Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu "Classic"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu "Classic"

Ok, I've got something to say, I hope somebody who feels the same and has the know-how sees this. I started my Ubuntu experience in the spring of '09, with Ubuntu 9.04, I loved it, then 10.04 LTS, I was in love. It had everything I needed. I absolutely love Gnome 2.0. I never had to even look at another distro because I was very happy with what I had. Fast forward to 12.04 LTS, I can at least get my Gnome 2.0 back on this release and remove the Unity, I like it. I'm now looking at other distros though, because I've tried the 13.04 and I can't stand it, because I cannot get Gnome 2.0 back the way I want it. I'll be using 12.04 until it is no longer supported then I don't know what I'll be using.

Here's an idea, I know that I am not the only one who loves my Gnome 2.0, the way it was on 10.04. How about, since we have Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc ad-nauseum. Somebody could make a CLASSIC Ubuntu with all the updated applications and retaining all of the Gnome 2.0 features and make it look exactly like 10.04 did. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who feel the same way I do.

I've tried Mate DE, and it's pretty fast, and has a similar spirit as Gnome Classic, but it's not the same. It has certain issues that make it inferior, it's not Gnome 2.0...

I've had people tell me to "give Unity, Gnome 3.6, XFCE, etc a chance". I've given them all a chance, they all fall short. I've had all of them installed in another partition and I don't like any of them. When 12.04 is no longer supported, I'll be using the closest thing I can find to what I want. If Ubuntu doesn't fit the bill, it'll be another distro and I'll sadly say goodbye to Ubuntu.

I'm very disappointed with the direction Ubuntu has taken... That's the way I feel about it, like it or don't, I'll be watching in 2014 for my next Linux distribution.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu "Classic"

Quote Originally Posted by psfal View Post
    Ok, I've got something to say, I hope somebody who feels the same and has the know-how sees this. I started my Ubuntu experience in the spring of '09, with Ubuntu 9.04, I loved it, then 10.04 LTS, I was in love. It had everything I needed. I absolutely love Gnome 2.0. I never had to even look at another distro because I was very happy with what I had. Fast forward to 12.04 LTS, I can at least get my Gnome 2.0 back on this release and remove the Unity, I like it. I'm now looking at other distros though, because I've tried the 13.04 and I can't stand it, because I cannot get Gnome 2.0 back the way I want it. I'll be using 12.04 until it is no longer supported then I don't know what I'll be using.

Here's an idea, I know that I am not the only one who loves my Gnome 2.0, the way it was on 10.04. How about, since we have Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc ad-nauseum. Somebody could make a CLASSIC Ubuntu with all the updated applications and retaining all of the Gnome 2.0 features and make it look exactly like 10.04 did. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who feel the same way I do.

I've tried Mate DE, and it's pretty fast, and has a similar spirit as Gnome Classic, but it's not the same. It has certain issues that make it inferior, it's not Gnome 2.0...

I've had people tell me to "give Unity, Gnome 3.6, XFCE, etc a chance". I've given them all a chance, they all fall short. I've had all of them installed in another partition and I don't like any of them. When 12.04 is no longer supported, I'll be using the closest thing I can find to what I want. If Ubuntu doesn't fit the bill, it'll be another distro and I'll sadly say goodbye to Ubuntu.

I'm very disappointed with the direction Ubuntu has taken... That's the way I feel about it, like it or don't, I'll be watching in 2014 for my next Linux distribution.
    The successor of GNOME 2.0 is MATE. Certain things are never going to come back again because the old code is no longer being maintained. You can install an old GNOME desktop as is as long as you're aware its no longer being supported with bug fixes and security updates or you can stay on MATE. Those are your choices for the future.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

This discussion has been had many times already.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu is not a "old-fashioned" distro, it's a leading-edge distro that aims to be the best all-around in modern operating systems.

Ubuntu won't ship Gnome 2, because it's been abandoned by its developers. It also won't ship Mate, because it just simply doesn't give a very impressive impression to a new user, and it's very old-fashioned in its design and features. IMHO, Unity is far better - and I've been using Ubuntu since 2005.

Ubuntu will not:

1. Ship old software
    2. Stick with the same old outdated user interface that has been criticised for the last ten years as looking and feeling like it came from the 1990s
    3. Slow down its release schedule to 2-yearly
    4. Be a "community distro" where the whole development process can be stymied for a year because two developers can't agree.
    5. Change nothing because "it's always been like that".

If you want that sort of thing, Ubuntu is NOT for you. Try Debian or Slackware. I like Ubuntu because it ships recent software, has a nice user interface with modern features (not a user interface that doesn't even have functional search), moves quickly, and moves decisively. I don't want MY distro changed into a clone of Debian, just because you and others decide it should be that way.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; August 24th, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Somebody could make a CLASSIC Ubuntu with all the updated applications and retaining all of the Gnome 2.0 features and make it look exactly like 10.04 did.
    Of course someone could. And some would say they are doing it with Mate.

MATE is a fork of GNOME 2. It provides an intuitive and attractive desktop to Linux users using traditional metaphors.
    http://mate-desktop.org/about/

What you need is someone to fork Mate and change it to just the way you like it.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What exactly was missing in Mate 1.6 that the old Gnome2 had? You can always reload 10.04 and try to be happy--but don't expect newer applications to work in that environment.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

I think it's time to accept that Gnome 2 simply isn't coming back. That's just the way it is. The best option for a current desktop very close to Gnome 2 is Mate. Mate is Gnome 2 with dependencies renamed and updated, so if you don't like that I'd have to say you're being too picky. No one is going to make a desktop environment exactly how you want it. If you don't like Mate, maybe give one of the other newer DEs more of a chance? XFCE and Cinnamon can be made to work in a very similar way to Gnome 2, plus they have some really nice features that weren't present in Gnome 2. Open your mind, do a little exploring and I'm sure you'll find something that suits you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@tgalati4 @grahammechanical
    Mate moves applets around on the panel each time the account is logged in, even though they are "locked" and it's visually clumsy, unlike Gnome 2. It's ok though, I've decided to just go with straight-up Debian when Ubuntu no longer supports what I like. But Ubuntu is still a good platform to convert new users to when weening them away from Microsoft crapware. When/if Debian ever includes wifi support in it's live cd, I'll be converting people straight to it, I just can't walk all of them through the process to install wifi support personally...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Linux is about choice and if anything it has too many Desktop enviroments. But each may have advantages.

I happen to like Classic or gnome-panel as it is almost the old gnome2 but built on gnome3.

gnome3 classic
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
    On login screen click on logo/cog-wheel/star and choose
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/classicgnome
    12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks kansasnoob & cortman
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...eClassicTweaks
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2090021
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/g...g-ever-changed
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

debian? yuck...so old fashioned looking...also outdated packages....well, some will do anything to have an old fashioned style desktop i guess
    I'll take modern...thank you...

when i was a child i loved my dad's 1955 plymouth savoy with a 3 speeds on the column shifter... but i don't think i'd want to drive one TODAY...
    Last edited by craig10x; August 26th, 2013 at 05:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast