Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiki Page on How To Use CODE tags ?

Beans

Wiki Page on How To Use CODE tags ?

[UPDATE : See post #9 below for the current guide.]

I wasn't sure where I should ask about this, but since it is regarding a forum specific feature, I decided to ask here.

There exists a wiki page on "How to mark threads as Solved", but I couldn't find such a wiki for How to use Code tags in the forum posts.

There does exist a BB Code list page that can be used as a guide, but is not as intuitive as the solved thread wiki page.

I find the Code Tags guide as useful as the Solved Thread wiki is. It is very frequently needed and instead of typing a possibly confusing text guide, experienced users may just link to the more intuitive wiki if it exists. It'll save time and space in posts and will be much more easier for new users to understand and follow.

Hence my question -

Can I create such a wiki page somewhere? Where if yes and who should I contact if some kind of permission is required for it.

For now, I have this URL in mind : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CodeTags, but since it feels like something related to Ubuntu, not Ubuntu Forums, so not sure if it'd be okay. I have some screenshots (totaling less than 117 KB) and text matter ready and can create the page immediately if I may.

Hope it makes some sense to others as well. If not, can I at least create a thread on it? I already have a post (actually a mess) linked as "Code Tags example" in my signature, which of course is my last resort.
    Last edited by varunendra; November 26th, 2013 at 01:18 AM.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Wiki Page on How To Use CODE tags ?

I'd say that the right place would be the community wiki area - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CodeTags

Perhaps BBCodeTags would be better though

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I'd say that the right place would be the community wiki area - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CodeTags
    Definitely sounds better. Thanks for the quick reply and the suggestion.

Perhaps BBCodeTags would be better though
    The word "BBCode" sounds a bit misleading to me since the page would talk about only one of the many available ones - the 'Code' tag.
    For the exhaustive list the BB Code list page already exists. But that's my opinion, I'd love to know what others think.

The page content can always be improved to make it better, but its Title/URL should not be changed once people start using it. So I'd bow to the general consensus (if more people find it worth posting their opinion. I hope I'm not being over-ambitious with this thread).
    Varun

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would put it in both locations. It's only a single webpage at most. The wiki/BB markup is useful in multiple applications.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'm not sure there's a need for a wiki just for one type of bbcode

Beans

It's purpose will be same as the 'Solved Thread' page - teaching new users a simple thing that is very frequently required. As such, I want to keep it as simple and short as possible.

Of course we can create a similar page for a full list of BB Codes that can be used on the forums, and make this one a part of it (copied content or as a link). If we come up with such a page, the "BBCodeTags" will be a perfect Title/URL for it.

But for now, I just want to have a simple and small page that doesn't scare newbies with its size and contents.
    Varun

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well - that's up to you - but I'd still make the name all encompassing - not easy to change wiki names afterwards.

On the other hand perhaps a wiki for something like code tags is overkill.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Last edited by Iowan; September 1st, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    On the other hand perhaps a wiki for something like code tags is overkill.
    I agree. That's why I was hesitating and felt the need to ask.

For sake of clarity, here's what I have planned (the full content of the proposed page, omitted one image due to 8 image per post restriction) :-
    ================================================== =================
    How to use [CODE] tags in your Posts

Why ?
    Output posted as plain text loses its formatting and parts of it sometimes turn into smileys making it difficult to read and understand.

The use of 'Code' tags makes the post clean, compact and more appealing, thus getting more attention from readers.

How ?
    There are three ways to put your code within [CODE] tags -

A. Manual method (quick, and applicable everywhere)
    B. Advanced Edit box (New post)
    C. Advanced Edit box (Edit post)

A. Manual method (applicable everywhere - Advanced, Edit and Quick Reply boxes) :

Add [code] in the beginning and [/code] at the end of the text that you want to put into the 'Code' box. For example -
    ----------------------------------------
    [code]
    My gibberish output code here
    [/code]
    ----------------------------------------
    After submitting, the post will look like this -
    Code:
    My gibberish output code here

B. Advanced Edit box (useful when Creating New Posts) :

1) Click the # button at the top of the edit box to automatically generate the opening and closing [CODE] tags pair -

2) Copy-paste your code in-between this tag pair -

Type the rest of the text as usual, outside of this tag-pair and submit your post. It will look like this -

If the code is too long to fit in the box, it will automatically create scroll bars within the box to keep the post compact without affecting the formatting of the pasted code.

C. Advanced Edit box (useful when Editing existing Posts) :

1) Click on "Edit Post" button at the bottom of your post, then click again on the "Go Advanced" button -

2) Using your mouse pointer, highlight the part which you want to put into code box, then click on the # button at the top of the edit box to wrap the highlighted part within the [CODE] tags pair -

Click on "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the edit box to submit the modified post (You can use "Preview Changes" button to see how it will look after submitting, then "Save Changes" when you are satisfied).
    ================================================== ===============

PS:
    Just because I've already gone through above doesn't mean I'm too much inclined towards the wiki page.
    The only reason I thought of it is because a wiki page is not dependent on one particular author for maintenance, so anyone can help update/improve it as and if required.

I can put it all in a thread post if it seems a more suitable place for the type and nature of content above.
    Last edited by jeremy31; November 30th, 2019 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Because I can.. :p
    Varun

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Code:
    Thank you, I didnt realise that you had to manually input  I have been trying to find a button like the quote tag, if it's there it's hiding from me

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast