Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webserver Config

Beans

Webserver Config

Good afternoon all,
    I had a web server built that is running Unbuntu and using Apache to serve (actually two) websites.
    This box is to replacing an existing Windows machine that has hosted the sites for a number of years.
    The guy helping me with this build has become UN-available and my old server crashed last week leaving me without a way to host our sites.

I've got the new linux box up and running. However the website (only one of them) is visible to computers on my local network. Some machines see it via the wireless connection while others can see it over the wired (again internal) network. If I try to check the site from outside the local network I can't see it. Even if I try to check it via IP.

I know this is a stretch but I'm reaching out to see if anyone can help me with getting it 'visible' to the outside world.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm at work on break so I won't be able to check back for a few hours.
    Again thanks for any help.

Nemo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Webserver Config

Not a Forum Feedback & Help thread.

Thread moved to Server Platforms.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

It is likely a router problem, not a server problem. Is the new server on the same internal IP as the old one? Does your router have port forwarding to it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by houstonbofh View Post
    It is likely a router problem, not a server problem. Is the new server on the same internal IP as the old one? Does your router have port forwarding to it?
    Port forwarding issue more than likely, depending on how the web server is configured.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What is the IP of the Web Server? If it is a private IP, then you need port forwarding on the router or the webserver config for the it to be accessible on the outside world. Or you can put a Public IP address on the webserver and let it interface to the outside world. You might want to secure the server if you do this.
    The Philippine Team
    The best Ubuntu derivative: Linux Mint
    Relax. Head to the Community Cafe.

Beans

Thanks for all the responses. But after thinking about this would not (if the server was setup the same as the windows machine) the port forwarding already be set on the router? I'll still look into it in the AM.
    Houstonbofh -> Yes... as far as I know it is set with the same IP. I'm assuming a bit now but will check in the morning. Prior to building this machine he had the old one and pulled all the IP information from it. So I'm pretty certain it's the same.
    Nerdtron -> I believe the IP is a public one. 72.35.35.199 and yes... one of the last things he said to me was that he wanted to secure the machine 'a little more' before deploying it...
    This is a start... I'll look into the port forwarding in the morning..
    Last edited by Greg_Nemecek; August 31st, 2013 at 02:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here's an nmap scan of that address; you have a awful lot of filtered ports.

Starting Nmap 6.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2013-08-30 21:28 EDT
    Nmap scan report for mail.cfachurch.org (72.35.35.199)
    Host is up (0.082s latency).
    Not shown: 988 closed ports
    PORT STATE SERVICE
    20/tcp filtered ftp-data
    21/tcp filtered ftp
    25/tcp filtered smtp
    80/tcp filtered http
    110/tcp filtered pop3
    111/tcp open rpcbind
    1720/tcp filtered H.323/Q.931
    5500/tcp filtered hotline
    5800/tcp filtered vnc-http
    5900/tcp filtered vnc
    8000/tcp filtered http-alt
    8001/tcp filtered vcom-tunnel

There is some type of firewalling between this machine and the Internet.

If you are going to be running a public server, and you only intend to offer HTTP and maybe HTTPS, I would wall off everything except ports 80 and, if appropriate, 443. VNC is the last thing you want to be running on an Internet-facing server. However since the server is called "mail.cfachurch.org" I assume you want ports 25 and 110 open as well. If you're really acceping mail on port 25, make darn sure that you have configured Postfix or sendmail properly so that spammers won't exploit the machine as an "open relay."
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I wonder why port 111/tcp open rpcbind is open. I seem to recall it having something to do with NFS.

Beans

I saw that the server is set up as 'mail.cfachurch.org' and am not sure why..... The old server did have mail running on it but no one ever check the mail that was coming into the accounts setup on it so I shut the mail side of it down. I can see that I'm am really gonna need to spend some time on this. I was hoping that I wouldn't need to get so involved with this project. I have too many things going already.
    Thanks much for all your responses. It's greatly appreciated. If anyone could point me to a step by step process of 'setting up a web server' it would be very helpful. I know how to navigate and modify files in linux... I'm simply not aware of what needs to be configured for a web server. This will not be running mail... just hosting two websites. Thanks again everyone. The Linux world ROCKS!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Run this:

Code:
    hostname
    Code:
    hostname -f

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast