Thread: I can't connect to my wifi

Beans

I can't connect to my wifi

I'm new to linux. I would love it but I can't get wireless internet. No matter what I've done i can't connect to my wireless and am stuck to my ethernet. its really sad. please help
    -fred

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I can't connect to my wifi

Hi Fred
    I wonder if you'd have a better response if you posted in the networking and wireless section. Are you familiar with how to open a terminal? If you could post the result of one terminal command it might be a good starting point. From the command prompt type "lshw -c network". It is recommend to do this from a sudo account. The result should look something like this:
    Code:
     *-network UNCLAIMED
           description: Network controller
           product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
           version: 02
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: bus_master cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:df3ff000-df3fffff
      *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           physical id: 1
           bus info: usb@2:2
           logical name: wlan3
           serial: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
           capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8192cu ip=192.168.1.5 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
    Last edited by kurt18947; August 31st, 2013 at 07:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Welcome to the forums fred_wright !

Another command to give us an idea of your hardware and driver in use is -
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    It also gives the exact chip ID which is sometimes required to determine which driver is suitable for your card.

For a detailed report about your wireless setup, you can use "wireless_script" (created by Wild Man, Krytarik). You can find it with instructions in the post linked to the "Wireless Script" link in my signature.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

I am working with a Dell D630 Latitude (Ubuntu 12.04) and have also had trouble with wireless connectivity. Ethernet is okay. Recently I removed the STA driver and installed the B43 driver and my wireless worked for a couple of days. Now it appears that I am connected but cannot access the internet. I just ran the wireless script and placed the text into Pastebin at

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/6070747/

I would really appreciate if somebody could have a look and tell me what the problem might be.

Regards
    Last edited by johnnyzee; September 6th, 2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: changed pastebin link

Beans

SOLVED - changed router settings from WEP to WPA-PSK, AES

Thanks to post by Varunendra http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12779960

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyzee View Post
    I am working with a Dell D630 Latitude (Ubuntu 12.04) and have also had trouble with wireless connectivity. Ethernet is okay. Recently I removed the STA driver and installed the B43 driver and my wireless worked for a couple of days. Now it appears that I am connected but cannot access the internet. I just ran the wireless script and placed the text into Pastebin at

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/6070747/

I would really appreciate if somebody could have a look and tell me what the problem might be.

Regards
    In a quick glance (I'm too hungry to pay more attention ), two things look adjustable -
    1) You are using WEP key. It is outdated, less secure (almost unsecure) and doesn't work well with Linux. So if you can, try changing it to WPA2 with AES encryption in the router.

2) (maybe you won't need this step if you implemented above) Try fixing the speed to a compatible higher value -
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate 48M
    Other compatible speeds (as per the output you posted) are 36M, 24M, 54M etc. which you can try.

If this doesn't help, I'd recommend to post a new thread of your own and post the details of the problem as well as any backgrounds. If you create one, feel free to post a link to it here so I can follow, or PM me (or chili555, if you wish) to take a look at it.

EDIT:
    Hoorray !! Posted simultaneously it seems, nice to see problem solved!
    Last edited by varunendra; September 6th, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.