Thread: Getting Fn<F5> to work with Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Getting Fn<F5> to work with Xubuntu

Is there a trick to use the Fn<function keys> with non-Unity? I am not a fan of Unity so the first thing I did to my brand new (awesome!) pangolin was put xubuntu on. In Unity all the Fn<function keys> work but in Xubuntu only the wifi (F11), bluetooth (F12), brightness (F8,F9) and turn off mousepad (F1) work. The multimedia keys, sleep and suspend don't work. What is the trick to get them working under XFCE?
    thomas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Getting Fn<F5> to work with Xubuntu

What system do you have, and which version of Xubuntu are you running? Those should work out of the box on Ubuntu derivatives.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

I am using a Pangolin Performance (panp9) with (X)Ubuntu 13.04, driver version is 13.04.8. All I did to get Xubuntu running was to install xubuntu-desktop after the laptop came with the Ubuntu install from the factory.
    thomas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Check the key bindings in Xubuntu. You might also want to try it from a Xubuntu live disk, as it sounds to me like a software problem. Do the keys still work in Unity?
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

Finally had time to go through this a bit more. With a live disk the keys work fine, they work fine with Unity and sometimes works in Xubuntu (for instance it is working fine right now). If you can help me figure out the issue that causes it to sometimes fail that would be great.

thomas
    thomas

Beans
    Distro

Seems like the support guys have their plates full elsewhere. I think I may have solved this though and will post what I did in case others have a need.

Seems that a number of problems with running Xubuntu on a System76 laptop can be solved by booting into Unity, running the program, function, using the hardware, etc. then logging out and back in to XFCE. Now my Skype works, my F5 and F6 control the multimedia settings, etc. I don't claim to understand it just that it works!

thomas
    thomas