Thread: Galago's graphics performance issue after installing Intel video driver

Beans

Unhappy Galago's graphics performance issue after installing Intel video driver

Hello everyone,

In order to solve the problems reported in posts like this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2168352 I installed Intel's video driver in my Galago. After installing it, the problem is solved indeed, but I experience that graphics performance is slower than before. I tested it in, for example, Team Fortress 2 and it works slower, and it also happens with Unity's User Interface. Has this happened to anyone else? How did you sort it out?

Thank you in advance

Beans

Re: Galago's graphics performance issue after installing Intel video driver

I too have installed the 01 drivers, and also agree the graphics performance is not what I would expect. The fade-in and fade-out of the Unity dash has a very noticeable lag most of the time.

The repository only has Mesa 9.1 in it, and supposedly mesa 9.2 has a bunch of haswell performance improvements. So I just chalk it up to these drivers still being a work in progress and was going to tough it out until next release. If you're determined you want a fix now, perhaps you can figure out how to get 9.2 on Ubuntu, or maybe install 13.10 or something else a little more bleeding edge that would have it. I haven't done these things yet though so I make no promises! Has anyone else?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Our preliminary testing with Ubuntu Saucy is indicating a performance gain of around 2x compared to 13.04. We strongly recommend all Haswell users upgrade to 13.10 once it's been released.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Did you try a mix of intels latest drivers, mesa 9.2 and kernel 3.10.10(latest stable), perhaps try latest 3.11RC7 kernel also?

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-the...and-derivates/

for mesa:

sudo add-apt-repository
    ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

To see what Mesa version you have:

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
    Last edited by makebelieve2; August 31st, 2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: smiley faces..

Beans

Thank you all for the info. I think I will wait for the next release. Thank you!

Beans

I am also experiencing graphics performance issues after installing the Intel driver (from this thread).

I removed the PPA and downgraded the packages to remove the new driver using ppa-purge:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    sudo ppa-purge -s download.01.org ppa:gfx/ubuntu
    This seems to have fixed my performance issues.

Beans

I downgraded as per the instructions and my computer is still acting very funky and slow. Also, strangely enough the webcam is still working with those other apps.

Beans

just an update here: I forgot to mention that I was on the low-latency kernel. even after purge that was really, really slow/affected. I rebooted into the standard kernel and all seems fine (at least for the past hour - I will update if that changes). And in both cases, the webcam is still working with jitsi. So... the purge did not help the low latency kernel. Also, I realized that I had not tested the upgrade with the regular kernel. So I am tempted to reinstall the new intel driver and see if things are still ok with the regular kernel...