Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 3500 laptop, SiS graphics

Beans

Acer Aspire 3500 laptop, SiS graphics

Hi

I am attempting to install ubuntu on an Acer Aspire 3500. It could not detect the video so is running in low resolution. As new to Linux (old command line Xenix guy) any pointers or clues? I have it at the install screen it stopped at.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Acer Aspire 3500 laptop

Hi, welcome to the fora.

It's likely a problem with SiS graphics. Please run

Code:
    sudo lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt
    and post lshw.txt in CODE tags.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Hi and thanks.

I am on the install from DVD phase and stuck on the low resolution screen with limited options. When I tried the command line all I got was the text that I typed and no reply. Control alt resulted in a shutdown so the machine did not lock just does do nothing.

Restarted install and it is now it is doing its half hour of flashing screen trick before it figures out it does not like the video card.

Ok come up with "The system is running in low-graphics mode". Hit enter and have four options. First is "run in low graphics mode" but failed along with the last being exit to console login.

What is the next step?

Cheers

Beans

Hang on got to the cmd line. Did as you said but no way to copy file as at very early install phase. Vi the file and the display is Silicon Intergrated Sytems.

Product 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA adapter.

Any help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Multimedia & Video.

Welcome to the forums. More appropriate here and you may have more luck.

Just a tip. Please use descriptive titles for threads. This will increase your chances of help. Generic ones like the one here give no information about the issue you're having.

Good luck.

PS: morgaes may be able to provide more info, but would the 'nomodset' option be of any help here? If you are getting to the screen when installing that gives you the option to try Ubuntu or install, hit F6, choose 'nomodset' and continue. This might get you to something workable if nothing else.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 4th, 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have added the 'SiS' information to the title.

My only idea is

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-sis
    if you can get to a terminal, as suggested in
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s.../+bug/1034812/

If that does not work I would try Bodhi Linux, because it is based upon 12.04. There's a link in my signature.

I don't know if boot options help.
    Last edited by mörgæs; September 4th, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 3500 laptop, SiS graphics

Hi

I have downloaded bohi-2.3.0-32 and will give that a try. Also will run your command line code as the computer it did come up with a shell.

I am a mad keen OSM mapper and been using Windows but it is rather a pain to do things as you wind up doing them manually so thought I would try Linux. Maybe the old laptop is not up to the task but it would be a shame to junk it as it works well Is there any affordable laptops that I can pickup cheap from Ebay that Linux will run well on?

Many year ago I tried Linux but always got trapped by hardware issues rather hoping that things have improved.

Cheers

Beans

Hi

Used Bohi Lunix and the result was initially good with install going smoothly then the screen started the flickering and went blank. Shut it down using the cntl alt sequence and rebooted. It would come up sometimes but other times would not.

Have not quite worked out what happens with the function keys I hit. But this seems to get the screen to display. New to this so it could be just time needed to work.

Now with the sudo removal of the SIS graphic feature can I still use programs like graphical mapping ones? I do not mind giving away speed as all they do is display maps. Also can I use the Open Office programs? Basically what effect is the removal of SIS going to have? As mentioned I can live with slower screen updates.

I am attempting yet another reinstall having removed SIS the external monitor port would not work.

Thanks for your help. We are almost there as I appear to be able to have a running system but with monitor issues.

Cheers

Beans

Ok curious issues.

When I did the install with an external monitor connected to the laptop it went right through with a clean install.

The laptop screen is 1200x800 native. But remove the screen and it works until shutdown and reboot then blank screen. Reattach the monitor and using F7 the screen will come up on a reboot. The external monitor has a different native resolution to the laptop.

Ok removed the sis package and the screen on the laptop on reboot comes up as 1024x768 and looks poor as it is not the native resolution but it boots up nicely.

Tried reboot with external monitor and it came up with the native resolution if 1280x1024 and looks good. Unplug the monitor and the laptop screen does not come up.

Ok next step to get the laptop screen to display its native resolution of 1200x800?

Thanks Brett

Beans

Reinstall the xserver-xorg-video-sis package and create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with the following contents:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier "Configured Video Device"
            Option "NoAccel" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
            Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Default Screen"
            Monitor "Configured Monitor"
            Device "Configured Video Device"