Thread: Store data on one specific disk

Beans

Store data on one specific disk

Hi all,

I've a home file-server with two disks: a SSD (16GB) and a normal HD (2TB). I want to store all my data on the HD and use the SSD for install puposes only. How can I setup Ubuntu in such way that a specific folder (lets say \data) is stored only on the SD and not partly on the SSD? I want to do this because I want to spin down the HD when it is not in use.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Store data on one specific disk

Quote Originally Posted by Tjalleman View Post
    Hi all,

I've a home file-server with two disks: a SSD (16GB) and a normal HD (2TB). I want to store all my data on the HD and use the SSD for install puposes only. How can I setup Ubuntu in such way that a specific folder (lets say \data) is stored only on the SD and not partly on the SSD? I want to do this because I want to spin down the HD when it is not in use.

Thanks!
    Wherever you create a mount point and subsequently mount a partition is where all of the data will be stored.

An example could be something like the following. You create a mount point such as /data on the SSD. This is nothing more than making a directory data at the / (aka /data). Then you create a single partition on the 2TB HDD. You now can mount that partition at /data. Everything you store on /data will be on the 2TB partition on the HDD. The original /data directory is hidden from use as long as the partition is mounted.
    -BAB1

Beans

Re: Store data on one specific disk

Thank you for the reply. I did as you recommended and it worked perfectly.

what i did:
    - made a new folder (/data)
    - partitioned HD (I did this already during the installation)
    - made a new file system that contains the whole disk (/dev/sdb)
    - mounted the disk to /data

I checked the setting with the sudo df -H command. The output confirms that the HD is mounted to /data