Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anti malware programs for linux

Beans

anti malware programs for linux

Now I know the usual line, about there being no need for anti virus, or anti malware software in linux OS, but I've been using clamtx and it has detected a few viruses. And I've got that nagging feeling I've got malware on my system. And now I've heard of a malware program called "hand of thief" that is effecting linux. So I've been searching for an anti malware program and found one called the "Linux Malware Detector" (LMD)

What do you all think about it
    1) is LMD a legit linux program (because you have to download it like a windows program)
    2) how secure are linux systems now
    3) is there a better anti malware program than LMD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: anti malware programs for linux

I haven't heard of this tool and judging from their site, the primary purpose of it is to be run in shared hosting environments.

As far as it being legit because it comes in a tarball, that's fine, but I'm not quite sure I would trust it myself.

As far as how secure *nix systems are - it depends on what services you are running, but in general they are pretty secure.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Clam has something of a reputation for false positives. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2145816
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans

I use Bitdefender and it has caught items within Firefox. I scan now once a week.

Beans

Rkhunter and chkrootkit are technically "anti-malware". Definitely check them out.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Is that the fault of Linux or the fault of the person sitting in the chair?
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by imnichol View Post
    Rkhunter and chkrootkit are technically "anti-malware". Definitely check them out.
    Potentially useful tools for highlighting possible problems. I have heard, however, that they're not immune from false positives either.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why to copy Windows failure?

Not to mention, that result is installation of third party, closed source antivirus with god rights.

And don't forget fake alerts on "viruses" ( like game cracks without any malicious behavior ) and no alerts on governments trojan horses.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What were these "viruses" that ClamAV found, and where were they located?

ClamAV doesn't just scan for viruses, it also warns about innocent things like tracking cookies and JavaScript files. This scares people, but is harmless - it's like if you took your car to the mechanic because the seatbelt reminder light came on while starting the car.

Post up a screenshot of what ClamAV found - we can either confirm your suspicions and give advice, or ease your mind.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The argument that is going on, is just spooking the OP. A server situation is a lot different to a "no ports open" personal computer. Just because people got their website vandalised through poorly-written PHP scripts, does not mean an ordinary desktop user has anything to fear.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    The argument that is going on, is just spooking the OP. A server situation is a lot different to a "no ports open" personal computer. Just because people got their website vandalised through poorly-written PHP scripts, does not mean an ordinary desktop user has anything to fear.
    Indeed. The whole thread has gotten derailed from the OP's original question.

@Kojak Peg: Are you running a desktop or server? As a general rule, you don't have to worry about malware on a desktop *nix install. I would be more worried about remote access via VNC (vino) or openssh-server on a desktop install, but both of those need to be enabled by the user.

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    Rewind, Joe User is a freshly converted Windows guy who didn't really understand Windows either. He wants to know if somebody can hack into his system. Can they, or can't they? To Joe, it's black and white. He doesn't care if it's Linux itself, he wants to know if his pictures are still going to be there, if his music collection is going to be there. He doesn't want his credit card information stolen.
    It all comes down to the user. Phishing relies on tricking the user, and if someone is careful about what they install, they have little to fear between Windows and Linux.

I have been running the same install of Windows on my desktop since 2011. IE has gotten better, but I still use Firefox on all my machines, so I don't have to deal with ActiveX and the like. So far I haven't been hacked or gotten malware, so I must be doing something right.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast