Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Not Displaying Properly After Each Reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Desktop Not Displaying Properly After Each Reboot

I'm very sorry the title is vague, it's just I really don't know explain it in a short title. I have an external monitor (ViewSonic) connected to my netbook running Lubuntu 13.04. I go to my monitor settings and I do the following: Turn VGA display on then turn DVI display off and change the resolution of the VGA to auto. By the way I have to say this even though it's not the main problem, the reason why i said i turn VGA on THEN turn DVI off is that if I check the two boxes at once and save then both my screens are blank so I have to restart each time. Anyway back to the main problem. After I change the resolution to auto and click save and apply I get the Desktop entitled as (Desktop Proper.jpg in the attachments). But after I restart my computer I get the desktop entitled as (Desktop Messed Up.jpg in the attachments). Does anyone know why? Also one thing to note if i drag my mouse to select everything in the Desktop I can only cover the black portion of the desktop in the messed up desktop, not the coloured wallpaper part. Thank you very much . This issue is driving me crazy cause I have to change my Desktop settings each time. By the way my wallpaper is just black solid colour not the coloured part you see. I don't know why it's showing up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Desktop Not Displaying Properly After Each Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by toady2 View Post
    I'm very sorry the title is vague, it's just I really don't know explain it in a short title. I have an external monitor (ViewSonic) connected to my netbook running Lubuntu 13.04. I go to my monitor settings and I do the following: Turn VGA display on then turn DVI display off and change the resolution of the VGA to auto. By the way I have to say this even though it's not the main problem, the reason why i said i turn VGA on THEN turn DVI off is that if I check the two boxes at once and save then both my screens are blank so I have to restart each time. Anyway back to the main problem. After I change the resolution to auto and click save and apply I get the Desktop entitled as (Desktop Proper.jpg in the attachments). But after I restart my computer I get the desktop entitled as (Desktop Messed Up.jpg in the attachments). Does anyone know why? Also one thing to note if i drag my mouse to select everything in the Desktop I can only cover the black portion of the desktop in the messed up desktop, not the coloured wallpaper part. Thank you very much . This issue is driving me crazy cause I have to change my Desktop settings each time. By the way my wallpaper is just black solid colour not the coloured part you see. I don't know why it's showing up.
    Interesting problem, I have no idea what is happening here and I have never used Lubuntu or any other distro with the LXDE desktop environment.

But try to following command in terminal and repost the output.

Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    We have to start somewhere and this will list what graphics cards you have in your computer.
    Help me help you, by reading these suggestions before asking for help!
    This will earn you 1 point of respect and a cookie if you also show good manners.
    I'm currently running Kubuntu 13.04 on my laptop and Debian 7 on my desktop pc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

From
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    I get
    Code:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller
    I should also note something. After I get my messed up desktop I found another way to get back to the normal desktop. I change to 720 * 400 click apply then back to 1280 * 1024 I get proper desktop. This only works for very low resolution. It does not work if i change to 1280 * 960 then back to 1280 * 1024. I'm so confused...
    Last edited by toady2; August 29th, 2013 at 03:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by toady2 View Post
    From
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    I get
    Code:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller
    Hmm, integrated graphics only, what about this command?

Code:
    sudo lshw
    It will output a detailed list of all your hardware.

Also, you said the you got an external monitor connected to your netbook, but do you have the same problem if you disconnect the external monitor? Just using netbook display?
    This will earn you 1 point of respect and a cookie if you also show good manners.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Results related to display
    Code:
     *-pci          description: Host bridge
              product: Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx DMI Bridge
              vendor: Intel Corporation
              physical id: 100
              bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
              version: 00
              width: 32 bits
              clock: 33MHz
              configuration: driver=agpgart-intel
              resources: irq:0
            *-display:0
                 description: VGA compatible controller
                 product: Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller
                 physical id: 2
                 bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
                 capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                 configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
                 resources: irq:44 memory:98180000-981fffff ioport:60c0(size=8) memory:80000000-8fffffff memory:98000000-980fffff
            *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
                 description: Display controller
                 physical id: 2.1
                 bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
                 capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
                 configuration: latency=0
                 resources: memory:98100000-9817ffff
    Nop, I don't get this issue with Netbook display but the display does mess up after i connect my monitor and restart. The same issue where parts are black wallpaper and here and parts of the coloured wallpaper there on my netbook and external.

Beans

Ok, this may sound stupid but it look like its trying to run 2 DE's on one screen....
    Also shouldnt the config on both be using the same driver?

Code:
    *-display:0
                 description: VGA compatible controller
                 physical id: 2
                 bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
                 capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                 configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
                 resources: irq:44 memory:98180000-981fffff ioport:60c0(size=8) memory:80000000-8fffffff memory:98000000-980fffff
            *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
                 description: Display controller
                 physical id: 2.1
                 bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
                 capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
                 configuration: latency=0
                 resources: memory:98100000-9817ffff

do this and post the results

Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Doh! nevermind Ubuntu doesnt use an xorg.conf file anymore.
    Last edited by sceptre78; August 29th, 2013 at 05:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

no no that doesn't sound stupid Becase if i right click on the black part of the screen i get a different menu than i when i right click on the coloured part. When I click on the coloured part I get a menu that OpenBox has provided on top of lxde but when I click on the black part I only get the LXDE menu. Even though openbox is just a windows manager so it couldn't be two different DE but something along that line.

I'm sorry I don't have that file called xorg.conf

This is all I have
    Code:
    app-defaults             rgb.txt  Xreset      Xsession.ddefault-display-manager  X        Xreset.d    Xsession.options
    fonts                    xinit    Xresources  XvMCConfig
    openbox                  xkb      Xsession    Xwrapper.config
    *EDITED*
    Oh okay
    Last edited by toady2; August 29th, 2013 at 05:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So anyone has any idea? So it appears that there are two things running everytime I reboot. LXDE is running and Openbox is apparently adding it's own menu as well because if I right click on the coloured wallpaper openbox menu is showing up and the black part only shows LXDE'S menu.

I've added two pics to explain how it differs. Note i didn't create the second new folder it just appeared. It's exactly the same folder as the other new folder just duplicated for some reason and if i drag my mouse to select it, the folder then disappears but the original folder on the top left remains.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by toady2; August 29th, 2013 at 07:46 PM.

Beans

Well I can't help any more with this since I have no experience with either LXDE or Openbox, but at least we have narrowed down the problem a little bit. Hopefully someone else can help you out! I will follow the thread though since the problem itself is kind of interesting!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That's okay, Thanks for trying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast