Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get Minecraft 1.6.2 to work on Xubuntu 11.10

Beans

Trying to get Minecraft 1.6.2 to work on Xubuntu 11.10

I'm new here and am totally lost so please have mercy on my naivety

My problem is that I cannot get Minecraft to run of course and I've tried multiple ways by the use of the Terminal. Doesn't work. So what I do instead is this:

I go to my Downloads Folder in File Manager and find Minecraft.jar which I've downloaded I don't know how many times.

Then I right click on it and click the pop up option : Open with Open JDK Java 6 Runtime.

A message pops up saying as follows - The file '/home/user/Downloads/Minecraft.jar' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

How do I make this file executable?

Mind you I've already tried the bit about going into the Permissions and clicking the little button which apparently makes Minecraft.jar executable. Problem is no such option exists in Xubuntu but does in Ubuntu.

I've been trying to solve this problem for days and it's really been giving me a headache. Can someone give me some help?

Much Obliged,

Ian

Beans

Re: Trying to get Minecraft 1.6.2 to work on Xubuntu 11.10

I will be updating to Version 12.04 soon by the way. Will that change anything in regards to getting Minecraft.jar to work?

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

First you have to install a few libraries, so in Terminal type this line:

sudo apt-get install liblwjgl-java

Then follow this guide on how to install and set it up properly in Ubuntu: http://www.wikihow.com/Play-Minecraft-in-Ubuntu

Beans

I'm not terribly familiar with the subtle nuances of Xubuntu, but on Ubuntu (Using Nautilus) you would right-click Minecraft.jar, select the Properties option. On the resulting window, select the Permissions tab at the top, and check the "Allow executing file as program" is allowed (make sure it isnt a - sign). Personally, mine isn't ticked. But I'm using Ubuntu 13.04, and the Oracle Java7 environment. I hope this helps you out!

Beans

Since the little option in the GUI is not letting you change the permissions of the jar, you could try doing so via the terminal. The wikipedia page may help, but you should be able to simply use "chmod u=rwx minecraft.jar" This sets the owner of the file to have read, write, and execute permissions.

Heres the wiki page if you need it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod#Symbolic_modes
    Last edited by William_Correia; August 29th, 2013 at 07:26 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by William_Correia View Post
    Since the little option in the GUI is not letting you change the permissions of the jar, you could try doing so via the terminal. The wikipedia page may help, but you should be able to simply use "chmod u=rwx minecraft.jar" This sets the owner of the file to have read, write, and execute permissions.

Heres the wiki page if you need it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod#Symbolic_modes
    The response I got from the terminal was simply: "cannot access 'minecraft.jar' no such file or directory'

The odd thing is Minecraft.jar is in my downloads and documents.

All your responses are helpful with Ubuntu and Ubuntu only. I'm using Xubuntu a combination of Xfce and Ubuntu (no idea why I'm using Xubuntu anyway, my brother set it up)

and I'd like to know how to run Minecraft.jar on Xubuntu not Ubuntu. Thanks for your advice but sadly none of it was

helpful as nothing any of you contributed works. What I meant to say about the options button to set Minecraft.jar to an

executable file is this : There is no such option in Permissions.

-Ian

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In a terminal you need to type:
    chmod +x FULL_FILE_NAME

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    In a terminal you need to type:
    chmod +x FULL_FILE_NAME
    I did chmod +x minecraft.jar

I got "could not access 'minecraft.jar' no such file or directory."
    Last edited by IanTannir; August 31st, 2013 at 01:34 AM.

Beans

Another issue.
    Whenever I do any other command in Terminal besides java -jar minecraft.jar I consistently recieve the message "cannot access minecraft.jar no such file or directory". How can I fix this?

Thanks,

Ian

Beans

I know what I'm about to ask will seem simple and useless, but let's make sure the basics are covered before this is delved in much further.
    Just before you would normally type java -jar Minecraft.jar, type ls instead (LS, lowercase). Does it show Minecraft.jar as one of the files? If so, continue to type java -jar Mine, then hit tab, and see if it autocompletes the filename. If ls showed the file, and it autocompleted, then there is definitely something wrong here (Not that I'm doubting the issue, just without being in front of the machine it is difficult to see things like this).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast