Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run MS-DOS chkdsk in ubuntu

Beans

Run MS-DOS chkdsk in ubuntu

Can I run the chkdsk command (DOS) in ubuntu ? And how ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Run MS-DOS chkdsk in ubuntu

Hankbonk; Hi !

Short answer, no. As the files system formats are different.
    'buntu file system check is "fsck" ->File System Check" that relies on the utility e2fsck for the ext? family of formats.

What do you need to check so we can give better advise.

just try'n to help
    THE current(cy) in Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Depending on what you're wanting to do, I'd recommend looking into one of the equivalents available for Ubuntu. If you're wanting to check your Ubuntu partition, one of the safer options for a beginner is to open up a terminal, and type the following:
    Code:
    sudo touch /forcefsck
    What this will do is tell your system to run a File System ChecK the next time you boot.

Some information of file system troubleshooting can be found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fi...roubleshooting
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

If your asking about how to run chkdsk against a DOS drive like a USB stick from Ubuntu, you can use fsck with the "vfat" option. Plug the drive into the machine. If you only have one disk in the computer, the stick will probably be assigned to /dev/sdb. The first (and probably only) partition on the device will then be /dev/sdb1. If you open a Terminal and run the command "sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog" then plug in the drive, you'll see what device it is assigned to.

To run a filesystem check, run the command

Code:
    sudo fsck -t vfat /dev/sdb1
    However if you have something formatted with NTFS, I'd use Windows chkdsk to examine that.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I have a Windows XP that has gone totally corrupt, and that doesn't run the needed chkdsk at reboot . I have an ubuntu 9.04 jaunty version on disk . In a 'Running Linux' book there's somthing mentioned as "dosemu" to emulate a MS-DOS interface, but it's a very complicated explanation . I simply need to run the chkdsk /f DOS command, but I don't know how !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

The chkdsk command for DOS won't be able to check an NTFS partition like that used by Windows XP. You might try installing testdisk from the repositories and giving that a try.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Kubuntu has their own partition editor that I use on my Windows NTFS, and to my surprise it analyzed, reported and wanted fix the errors. I canceled the reply and was going to find out what exactly what it was doing. I haven't since used it. Thanks for the topic, I'll test that out again.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans

The Minitool Partition Wizard boot CD, whose ISO can be downloaded for free, is a Windows utility disk that can run CHKDSK without having to boot into Windows.

You should try that if you can't get into Windows to run CHKDSK.

And sorry, there is no Linux equivalent of CHKDSK for NTFS.
    Mint 15 & 16; MS Win7 & Win8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Dear SeijiSensei,

I'm really a beginner in Ubuntu Linux . Could you specify step by step how to install that testdisk ?

Beans

Dear Mark Phelps,

I found that 'Minitool Partition Wizard' . Is this a Windows or a Linux tool ?
    Last edited by Hankbonk; October 7th, 2013 at 07:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast