Thread: USB Modem strange detection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question USB Modem strange detection

I have a WiMax USB Modem which is work on Windows by mounting as CDRom, installing drivers then finally launches GUI where you enter the username and password to connect, I have searched around and a lot of people said that Ubuntu supports many USB modems and use them under Mobile Broadband Connection.
    When I plug the USB nothing happens, until I installed a linux-firmware-nonfree, Ubuntu did detect the USB but in a strange way, it shows as an unplugged wired connection, See image please.

The other wire connection is a network sharing from another computer, so don't pay attention to it.
    My Question is simple, what to do next? I have no idea what to do now.
    Thanks

Beans

Re: USB Modem strange detection

What kind of Ubuntu / interface is that?

Have you clicked on Network Connections and Network Settings; maybe there is something to configure in the USB modem interface, like the country and APN?

If not, I'll give you some hardware command line stuff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: USB Modem strange detection

Thanks for reply sanderj.
    This is Gnome 3.4 Shell, just a user interface like Unity and KDE, anyway, I already tried that Network Connections thing, I checked my Mobile Broadband but it didn't detect it any USB modem, So I tried to create a connection manually, here's what happened:
    Because Ubuntu didn't detect USB modem, the first dialog shows only a one greyed option (Any Device) then I chose (My country is not listed) which is really not, after that, it asked me for my provider name, I typed the name, with two selectable options
    My provider uses GSM technology (GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSPA)
    My provider uses CDMA technology (1xRTT, EVDO)
    I don't know what those two options mean, I'm not an expert, but I tried both of them, it suppose that connection appears on the list when finish the settings but nothing happened, I searched around and I was told that if Ubuntu didn't detect the Modem the Mobile connection won't show.
    Another thing that I don't get it, on my Wired section on Network settings, I see two connections, Wired Connection 1 and Wired Connection 2, the number one is an Ethernet Cable, a sharing from other computer, and number 2 is for the USB modem.
    So where do we go from here?