Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70

Thread: Installing ubuntu on NP780Z5E-S01UB (UEFI) (Win 8 pre-installed)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Beans
    84

    Installing ubuntu on NP780Z5E-S01UB (UEFI) (Win 8 pre-installed)

    I have posted before about installing Ubuntu on my NP780Z5E-S01UB. I will give a quick recap of my previous problem below:

    I installed Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit with really no problems on my laptop. I had it installed in UEFI mode with secure boot on. When I went to uninstall to install 13.04 I encountered my problem. Ubuntu was stuck on the boot menu in the UEFI settings. It was something like UEFI: ubuntu[...]. I could not get the entry off for anything. If I selected the entry, it went to a grub menu and said it couldn't start or something. I could boot into Windows 8 just fine, but the extra entry was annoying me. I had wiped my laptop and everything but still no dice. FINALLY after MONTHS of talking to customer support and googling, I got a BIOS updater tool which allowed me to reinstall my current BIOS version, which fixed the problem. Which brings me to my new concerns.

    After dealing with that I learned that Ubuntu may brick certain samsung laptops with UEFI. I haven't found my exact model number on any of the numerous articles/forum posts I've read, but you never know. I read that it has only been known to affect 2012 samsung laptops. So now, I have a whole new batch of questions before I do ANYTHING with Ubuntu on my laptop, as I can not risk bricking this.

    My questions:
    1. Is it possible to install Ubuntu in CSM/Legacy mode even though my Windows 8 was preinstalled in UEFI mode?
    1.5. Would I have to switch UEFI mode ON if I wanted to boot back into windows IF I CAN install in CSM/legacy?
    2. Could installing it in UEFI mode cause a brick if not possible?
    3. Are there any precautions anyone knows of that I should know before attempting any Ubuntu installation?
    4. Are there any more problems that have come to light about Samsung laptops and/or MY specific model?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Installing ubuntu on NP780Z5E-S01UB (UEFI) (Win 8 pre-installed)

    how can it brick the laptop? it doesn't touch BIOS on install. so if nothing else you should still be able to boot in windows.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Somewhere on Earth.
    Beans
    345
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Installing ubuntu on NP780Z5E-S01UB (UEFI - Win 8 pre-installed)

    Quote Originally Posted by DRatJr View Post
    My questions:
    1. Is it possible to install Ubuntu in CSM/Legacy mode even though my Windows 8 was preinstalled in UEFI mode?
    1.5. Would I have to switch UEFI mode ON if I wanted to boot back into windows IF I CAN install in CSM/legacy?
    If your BIOS supports that tool, then yes it can. ALTHOUGH YOU WILL LOSE THE ABILITY TO BOOT WINDOWS UNTIL YOU TURN THIS TOOL OFF, yes you can.

    When you turn on your computer, press a special key (like F10, F2, ESC, or others) to enter BIOS setup utility. Under CSM or LEGACY, set it to enabled (or in some cases, set BOOT MODE to LEGACY or CSM).

    Set CSM or LEGACY to disabled (or in some cases, set BOOT MODE to UEFI) to boot Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by DRatJr View Post
    2. Could installing it in UEFI mode cause a brick if not possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    how can it brick the laptop? it doesn't touch BIOS on install. so if nothing else you should still be able to boot in windows.
    I agree with mastablasta, but just to be on the safe side, MAKE A FULL SYSTEM BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I recommend using Clonezilla (burn it to a DVD, make sure you turn off Secure-boot, also in BIOS setup)

    Quote Originally Posted by DRatJr View Post
    3. Are there any precautions anyone knows of that I should know before attempting any Ubuntu installation?
    Once again, MAKE A FULL SYSTEM BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I recommend using Clonezilla (burn it to a DVD, make sure you turn off Secure-boot, also in BIOS setup)

    Quote Originally Posted by DRatJr View Post
    4. Are there any more problems that have come to light about Samsung laptops and/or MY specific model?
    Check my signature for UEFI help. They might have info.
    I recommend a full ubuntu installation rather than a wubi install. Ask me why.
    To migrate from wubi, click here. (by bcbc)
    Status: Online
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI, and Buggy UEFI solution.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Beans
    84

    Re: Installing ubuntu on NP780Z5E-S01UB (UEFI) (Win 8 pre-installed)

    Many people on Samsung laptops have reported full bricks due to Samsung's UEFI firmware. Where if you overwrite over 50% of the variables (or something) it bricks the laptop. Now why this isn't reported in the 2013 models, I just wanted to be ABSOLUTELY sure I could avoid any problems.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Beans
    84

    Re: Installing ubuntu on NP780Z5E-S01UB (UEFI - Win 8 pre-installed)

    ALSO:

    Going to the Ubuntu UEFI page, which I've used before, should I do what is described in "Installing Ubuntu via trial and error" or "Installing in EFI mode"? Not sure which is the better route to take.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Installing ubuntu on NP780Z5E-S01UB (UEFI) (Win 8 pre-installed)

    There were (maybe related) a couple of issues with some systems.

    One was that the only way to get into UEFI was from Windows. So if you installed another system and Windows did not boot, then there was no way to get into UEFI to boot from a repair DVD or flash drive or change UEFI settings. Same issue would occur once Windows breaks as there would be no way to boot an external device for repair.

    The other issue was found to relate to the % use of UEFI variables.


    Links to the issues, but they now are old info as fixes have been released and newer models, UEFI updates, or Linux kernel changes seem to have resolved them.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetz.../UbuntuDesktop
    Booting the Ubuntu installer in UEFI mode from a USB disk on certain Samsung laptops (530U3C, NP700Z5C) may trigger a firmware bug that renders the machine unbootable. Users are advised to use caution when installing on Samsung laptops and ensure that they are configured for legacy BIOS mode, not UEFI mode. (1040557)

    UEFI boot live-usb bricks SAMSUNG 530U3C,np700z5c laptop - fix released
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1040557
    http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...s-1793958.html
    The problem also appears to affect Ubuntu 12.10 and other Samsung models. The Ubuntu bug report includes posts from users reporting that the problem also affects 300E5C, NP700Z5C, NP700Z7C and NP900X4C series laptops.
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/23554.html

    Protection against Samsung UEFI bug merged into Linux kernel
    http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...l-1795332.html
    Since these patches have not yet been integrated into the installation media for these distributions, users should always use the UEFI firmware's
    UEFI Compatibility Support Module (CSM), which emulates a BIOS mode
    The current state of UEFI and Linux = Feb 1, 2013 - Matthew Garrett
    Samsung, Lenovo & Toshiba UEFI issues
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/22028.html
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Beans
    84

    Re: Installing ubuntu on NP780Z5E-S01UB (UEFI) (Win 8 pre-installed)

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    There were (maybe related) a couple of issues with some systems.

    One was that the only way to get into UEFI was from Windows. So if you installed another system and Windows did not boot, then there was no way to get into UEFI to boot from a repair DVD or flash drive or change UEFI settings. Same issue would occur once Windows breaks as there would be no way to boot an external device for repair.

    The other issue was found to relate to the % use of UEFI variables.


    Links to the issues, but they now are old info as fixes have been released and newer models, UEFI updates, or Linux kernel changes seem to have resolved them.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetz.../UbuntuDesktop
    Booting the Ubuntu installer in UEFI mode from a USB disk on certain Samsung laptops (530U3C, NP700Z5C) may trigger a firmware bug that renders the machine unbootable. Users are advised to use caution when installing on Samsung laptops and ensure that they are configured for legacy BIOS mode, not UEFI mode. (1040557)

    UEFI boot live-usb bricks SAMSUNG 530U3C,np700z5c laptop - fix released
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1040557
    http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...s-1793958.html
    The problem also appears to affect Ubuntu 12.10 and other Samsung models. The Ubuntu bug report includes posts from users reporting that the problem also affects 300E5C, NP700Z5C, NP700Z7C and NP900X4C series laptops.
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/23554.html

    Protection against Samsung UEFI bug merged into Linux kernel
    http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...l-1795332.html
    Since these patches have not yet been integrated into the installation media for these distributions, users should always use the UEFI firmware's
    UEFI Compatibility Support Module (CSM), which emulates a BIOS mode
    The current state of UEFI and Linux = Feb 1, 2013 - Matthew Garrett
    Samsung, Lenovo & Toshiba UEFI issues
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/22028.html
    Ok, well I CAN boot into Ubuntu on my NP780Z5E-S01UB with nothing going wrong. I get the "UEFI: Ubuntu" when selecting to boot from USB drive. I have 13.04 amd64 iso installed on the USB. You are recommending I install Ubuntu via Legacy/BIOS correct? And if so how would I do this?

    ALSO, does the 13.04 64bit iso contain these fixed that you have mentioned or no?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Beans
    84

    Re: Installing ubuntu on NP780Z5E-S01UB (UEFI) (Win 8 pre-installed)

    OH and hey oldfred . You were the one who guided me through my earlier problems haha.

    UPDATE:

    I have a mode in my UEFI settings that allows me to do CSM AND UEFI booting. When I select this option, I get:

    1.Windows Boot Manager
    2. UEFI: (my flash drive)
    3. (my flash drive)

    So I am guessing that option 3, which does not have the UEFI prefix, is my bootable USB in CSM mode, correct? And if so, should I boot from this, and then install Ubuntu that way?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Installing ubuntu on NP780Z5E-S01UB (UEFI) (Win 8 pre-installed)

    If you install Ubuntu in BIOS/CSM mode you cannot easily dual boot. You would have to go into UEFI and turn that on and boot Windows or go into UEFI and turn on CSM and boot Ubuntu. But UEFI and BIOS write hardware data to drive for system to boot from differently and cannot be dual booted from grub menu.

    Best to install Ubuntu in UEFI mode. But some systems only let you install in BIOS mode and then you can use Boot-Repair. It will convert to UEFI by uninstalling grub-pc and installing grub-efi. You will need Boot-Repair anyway to fix the os-prober bug.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Beans
    84

    Re: Installing ubuntu on NP780Z5E-S01UB (UEFI) (Win 8 pre-installed)

    So I should just install Ubuntu in EFI mode, and use the boot repair link in your sig?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •