Thread: A piece of Convergence: UniversalTransPad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

A piece of Convergence: UniversalTransPad

The UniversalTransPad is coming by the end of this year and will be compatible with 50 different Android powered handsets. It would have been the perfect companion for Ubuntu Edge.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: A piece of Convergence: UniversalTransPad

It might still be the perfect companion for a Ubuntu superphone. Some of the phones on their list of being compatible with the soon to be released Universal Trans Pad are already being used as development reference devices for Ubuntu Touch or are having Ubuntu Touch ported to them.

I wonder about the connector? Are they connecting the phone to the UTP using the HDMI port?

When you decide to change your smartphone, just ensure you replace it for another smartphone which has a TransAdapter available.
    I guess it would be some kind of connector/adapter but would it be the equivalent of a HDMI cable that can connect a port on the phone to a TV/monitor by any chance?

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; August 29th, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    It might still be the perfect companion for a Ubuntu superphone. Some of the phones on their list of being compatible with the soon to be released Universal Trans Pad are already being used as development reference devices for Ubuntu Touch or are having Ubuntu Touch ported to them.
    That's precisely what I intend to do

The Transphone 3 Pro is considerably better in terms of storage and price than the others (Nexus, Xiaomi, Galaxy). Would Ubuntu Touch be an option for this device?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am not an expert on this. The Ubuntu site gives a specification of quad core Cortex-A9 but I think that is aimed at OEMS. The Galaxy Nexus 4 uses the A9. The MT6589 is a quad core Cortex-A7 but Ubuntu Touch is being ported to devices that use other CPUs. for example, the HTC One uses a snapdragon cpu. So, it might be possible. The specs of the MT6589 certainly seem up to the job. Someone may be porting Ubuntu touch to a Cortex-A7 device. That would prove it could be done.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the advice. I started a separate thread on the choice of a new phone.