Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Scanner

Beans

Thumbs down Simple Scanner

The Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) I've been using for perhaps a year or a little longer took a while to learn but I found it to be uncomplicated and relatively easy to navigate.
    For my new machine I downloaded the latest version - it's horrible.
    I'm left with the impression that the Linux team is focused on trying to develop something Windows-esque with all those silly little icons that the kids who can't add or subtract need in order to function at a fast food counter.
    The "Launcher" consumes so much space on the monitor screen that it's an annoyance. Sure, it can be hidden, but when I'm working with multiple applications it becomes at best, a visual distraction I'd prefer not to have to bother with.
    Today I decided to scan a series of documents and found that the raw OS download didn't offer that feature. At least I couldn't find it. So I opted to download Simple Scanner. That's running on my other machine with the earlier version of 12/04.
    When I located the app. the system reported that I already have it installed. Problem is, it doesn't show up on the "Launcher" and a search for it reveals a stalemate.
    Hell - I may as well go back to that awful Windows OS ..............
    Last edited by George_Hicks; August 27th, 2013 at 01:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: OK, So Where is It?

You can install 12.04 on the new computer... I doubt it will fix the scanner issue though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

What was the desktop environment that you installed on 12.04? Perhaps Linux Mint Mate 14 or 15 would be a better match for your expectations.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans
    Hidden!

Does entering
    Code:
    simple-scan
    in terminal launch the program?
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I'm confused. 13.04 has the same interface as 12.04. The Launcher is the same size in both.

Beans

Yes sir; simple-scan worked just fine. And after it launched I simply attached it to the launcher - which is getting VERY crowded.
    My sincere thanks for the tip. My frustration level has been dramatically reduced. Now if I could only figure out how to kill all those little icons and get back to the menu driven "launcher" in the original 12.04 I have on the old machine I'd be happier than a pig in deep mud.
    AT least I believe I'm learning how the aps. are brought to the surface so they can be activated.
    Thanks to all for the comments and recommendations. Every comments is an opportunity to learn.
    Last edited by George_Hicks; August 27th, 2013 at 01:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Right-clicking on an icon in Unity's Launcher reveals an option to remove it.

That said, the reference to a menu-driven Launcher makes it sounds like you were using a variation of 12.04, not straight Unity.

Beans
    Hidden!

I agree with buzzingrobot, I don't think you had Ubuntu 12.04 installed previously, it must have been Xubuntu 12.04, or Lubuntu 12.04, or you were logging into the Gnome interface. Ubuntu "proper" dash has a bit of a learning curve to it, but once you get used to it you will probably find it easier than the old menu driven system.

I would suggest watching some quick videos to learn whats what (remember when windows first came out, yup I read the manuals). Luckily we now have youtube...

For basic unity stuff from 12.04...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGhx-u-c5Cg (however, I don't particularly agree with the installation of Cairo-Dock with unity, seems rather redundant)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frouwATl7BM (this is long, so didn't watch it all, but it seems very thorough. You might just jump to 8min 50sec).

For whats new in 13.04...

http://www.umunthu.net/tutorials/tutorials-ubuntu-1304
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; August 27th, 2013 at 03:46 AM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

By the way, aside from being able to remove icons from the unity by right clicking(as was mentioned) did you know you can also reduce their size? I always felt the default size if a bit large....i reduce mine to 38 pixels (i experimented and to me that is the "sweet spot" for the size) and it looks great to me like that....

You'll find that in the appearance settings...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast