Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accidentally chose install over instead of next to.

Beans

Accidentally chose install over instead of next to.

So I think I really messed up. I was trying to install Ubuntu 13.04 over 12.04 and accidentally hit install over. It brought me to the next screen where you choose where your located and it wouldn't let me go back. I rebooted my computer and now I only have one partition showing my old entire hardrive capacity. How do I get windows and all my data back. Why would Ubuntu just start rewriting over anything without confirming? There was no warning besides what was written under the option and I wanted to install it over 12.04 but not the entire disk. I am currently stuck using a live usb, but managed to download testdisk and am trying to run it, but it has been an hour and still says please wait. Is there any way to get my data back?

Beans

Re: I really screwed up. Accidentally chose install over instead of next to.

Well there are software that can restore data, test-disk is supposed to be able to, but I have never tried it, if you want to do that however you should make sure to not use that hdd for anything until you have done so, since every time you write to the disk you risk corrupting the old data by overwriting it.
    Help me help you, by reading these suggestions before asking for help!
    This will earn you 1 point of respect and a cookie if you also show good manners.
    I'm currently running Kubuntu 13.04 on my laptop and Debian 7 on my desktop pc.

Beans

Thats what I am doing. My only option right now is to run from the live-usb I have.

Beans

Yep, but live usb and live cd's aren't really that bad, they are actually quite awesome in emergencies like these, where you need to recover lost data and so on. =)
    This will earn you 1 point of respect and a cookie if you also show good manners.

Beans

Any idea why testdisk is just sitting at the Please wait... screen. It's been going for about 30 minutes right now.

Beans

Well, it could be it is actually working as intended, although I suspect it is slow since you are running it from a live usb system. Not really sure though since I haven't used it, maybe someone else can give a better answer than me.

How big is your HDD, that you are trying to recover files from? A bigger drive will definitely take quite some time to recover, although CPU speed will have some impact on that as well.

Beans

This may make the recovery process faster as it would avoid the need to run the recovery software from the live usb:
    You will need an external hard drive that you don't mind disassembling and a second computer with the recovery software installed.

Remove the casing from the external hard drive and you should be able to unplug the drive itself (external hard drives are simple regular hard drives with a usb adapter). Remove the damaged hard drive from the computer and plug it into the external hard drive case. Now you should be able to plug the damaged hard drive into a computer and it will mount just like an external hard drive. So plug it into your second computer with the recovery software installed and away you go.

Beans

Edit: Trying a deep scan using testdisk.
    Last edited by sean-s-bishop; August 27th, 2013 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Figured out my question.

Beans

snip

Can anybody help with this? I'm at a loss.
    Last edited by Elfy; August 27th, 2013 at 08:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

drag and drop of images can go horribly wrong and leave text - can you try again with the image using the attach image

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast