Thread: Tumblerd problem no more

Beans

Tumblerd problem no more

This tumblerd problem has been around since 2010 on Xubuntu (comments from Google) and hasn't been fixed yet.

Google just made me verify that I was a real person because of abnormal net usage (related to the tumblerd problem.)

I need to use thumbnails, and also need an OS that has more support sensitivity to us non technical.

I know, I know. I didn't think I would ever make a board comment like this and it may be rude, but it's just so frustrating to have to change OS's on two desktops. I relied a lot on this Xubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Tumblerd problem no more

What is your support question?
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

Is this an Xfce problem or an Xubuntu problem? If I get rid of Xfce, can I get rid of the problem? I have about 400 desktop launchers made and would need to write up another 400 if I change desktops?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Actually, Google is only showing me your particular complaints. Everything on xfce.org is about tumblerd causing a few crashes or leaking memory. Nothing about net usage.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rai_shu2 View Post
    Actually, Google is only showing me your particular complaints. Everything on xfce.org is about tumblerd causing a few crashes or leaking memory. Nothing about net usage.
    I think OP was referring to Google getting excited when we search a bit deep. Normally, we find relevant hits on the first page (of search results) itself. But, sometimes, one has to look further down the list. That's when Google could decide that your usage is a bit unusual and asks you to prove you're really you and not someone else (because of the change in behavior).

OP: If you plan using this forum to request help, please enunciate your problem as clearly as possible so that people can help you ASAP. Neither of your posts gives any background information for people to go on.

From what I understand, tumbler is part of Xfce.

And that you have 400 desktop launchers is quite interesting.

Beans

I'm really sorry - I thought I was being clear on what my complaint was. I think I might not know enough to describe the problem. My computer local network locks up and can't transfer files after I have downloaded files from the internet. I get tumblerd errors all of the time. I tried to make sense of hundreds of posts relating to this error and have become confused, and also wondering why it has taken so long to solve the problem.(Since 2010). Now I'm not even sure if there's a relationship with tumblerd and my network slowdown and stoppage and my internet downloading. That's why I may not be clear on the problem. I figured someone out there would have had the same problem and could shed some insight on it.
    As for the launchers, I have set up xubuntu 12.04 on my home theater pc to display files of launchers to movies, music, and internet radio stations. Each launcher has a jpg image, and directs the launch of a particular entertainment file with vlc, etc. I use a wireless mouse to select the launchers. Works great, but losing all my launcher writing would be a heartbreak if I need to change to another desktop environment.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by robert_clark2 View Post
    ... As for the launchers, I have set up xubuntu 12.04 on my home theater pc to display files of launchers to movies, music, and internet radio stations. Each launcher has a jpg image, and directs the launch of a particular entertainment file with vlc, etc. I use a wireless mouse to select the launchers. Works great, but losing all my launcher writing would be a heartbreak if I need to change to another desktop environment.
    Re. the launchers, it should be possible for someone here to make a script to change them all en masse to work with your new system whenever you've decided on one. That will be the easy part.

The difficult part is to get a handle on your problem. Why don't you break it down into small steps so that people know what exactly you're doing and guide you accordingly. Don't hesitate to get into details.

Beans

Thanks for your help, Vasa1.

I don't know enough to provide any more details and don't know how to find them. Googling tumblerd told me I have a problem with something to do with thumbnails, and the only solution seems to be eliminating thumbnails, which I want.

After doing some reading, and trying on Virtual Box, Debian 7.1 Xfce Stable seems to work. So the bottom line is that I believe that this new system will be more bug
    free and hope that I'll be able to get my things back in order.

I'd mark this solved if I could find out how

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by robert_clark2 View Post
    ... My computer local network locks up and can't transfer files after I have downloaded files from the internet. ...
    Could be a router issue. I get DNS trouble with my router any time I do serious FTP one way or the other, and I just end up giving wondershaper the "clear" command, then reapplying. If that doesn't fix it, I just restart the network, and that clears it up right away.

Beans

Thanks for the response. Yeah, regrettably I have reset the router many times during this time with no effect. Always get the Tumblerd error, also.