Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 Wired Connection Failure

Beans

Ubuntu 13.04 Wired Connection Failure

So everything was running smoothly last night. I was going to bed, so I turned the PC off as usual. No biggie.

Shortly after I woke up, I booted up the PC and it became immediately obvious that the wired connection wasn't working anymore. I checked the router and it was fine. So I switched over to wireless and bam, we have a connection again.

What could be the problem with the wired connection?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Wired Connection Failure

Try another cable.

Beans

Well, thank you for your helpful suggestion, but that was pretty much the first thing I did. It's actually the third time I replaced the cable and the second time was a little more than a month ago.

Beans

If you go to system-settings>network, any useful info there? If the ethernet (wired) connection exists, can you look at options? Is the ip4 setting set to DHCP? If the ethernet connection is not there, can you create a new one? These are things I would try, just to see if the system is even aware of a physical wired connection to the router.

Also, instead of replacing cables, does the act of disconnecting/1 or 2 minute wait/reconnecting the cable have any effect?
    Last edited by r_avital; August 27th, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by r_avital View Post
    If you go to system-settings>network, any useful info there? If the ethernet (wired) connection exists, can you look at options? Is the ip4 setting set to DHCP? If the ethernet connection is not there, can you create a new one? These are things I would try, just to see if the system is even aware of a physical wired connection to the router.

Also, instead of replacing cables, does the act of disconnecting/1 or 2 minute wait/reconnecting the cable have any effect?
    It's set to DHCP. I've never turned it off before. However, I'll have to check on the wired connection's information the next time it doesn't work, and I'll try the physical disconnect/reconnect suggestion too.

Actually, it happens again now and then. I'd say maybe every 5-7 boot-ups or so. So it's not a rare problem for me, and it usually recognizes the wired connection on the next restart.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Might be interesting to see what card and driver you are using, as well as the effective settings in use. Please show us the outputs of -
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    ifconfig -a
    nm-tool
    sudo ethtool eth0
    ..assuming the interface is named "eth0". If it is something else, change it accordingly. You may need to install ethtool first (sudo apt-get install ethtool).
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags