Thread: Need Help with Ubuntu [Black Screen]

Beans

Need Help with Ubuntu [Black Screen]

Hi.

I just installed Ubuntu, on my HP computer. I used a disk, and I downloaded Ubuntu and followed all the instructions. When I rebooted my computer, I was greeted by a black and white screen which read these options:

- Try Ubuntu without installing
    - Install Ubuntu
    - Check disk for defects

I clicked "Install Ubuntu". For a while, I had a completely black screen. After about 15 minutes of waiting, I decided to turn my computer off and try again. This next time I clicked "Try Ubuntu without installing", same luck. I clicked "Check disk" and I received the screen I was hoping for, but it just checked my disk and returned me to this black and white screen. I am not too familiar with computer hardware and software as I'm more of a design person on my computer, so please excuse the amount of questions I will ask.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Need Help with Ubuntu [Black Screen]

Sounds like an UEFI PC according to what you are saying, also the screen issue is likely due to either a bug in the screen brightness, or the laptop has dual-graphics, descrete graphics, or optimus.
    You are such a sweetheart b-b-baby!

Beans

Any solutions?

Beans
    Hidden!

Boot from the disk. When you get the screen that has Try Ubuntu without installing, Install Ubuntu, Check disk for defects, press F6 key. You will get the other boot options. Selecting nomodeset. If nomodeset doesn't work the next one to try would be apci=off. After selecting the extra boot commands select "Try Ubuntu" and see if it will boot.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

There is no response when I hit F6. It's all black and white and it says at the top GNU GRUB version 1.99.

Beans
    Hidden!

Did you get the screen with "Try Ubuntu" at all or just the black screen?
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; August 26th, 2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Arrow Re: Need Help with Ubuntu [Black Screen]

Quote Originally Posted by sid_dev2 View Post
    There is no response when I hit F6. It's all black and white and it says at the top GNU GRUB version 1.99.
    That's normal, as it seems like a PC with UEFI. Does the screen look like this?

If it does, then press 'e'. Then after 'quiet splash' add nomodeset.

If it doesn't work, try xforcevesa.
    -Jonathan