Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Rock Solid and Lightweight

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Something Rock Solid and Lightweight

I'm done distro-hopping: my tour of the Linux world was awesome.

And now,

Games are over:

I'm planning to dual-boot my PC with a Linux Distro and Windows 7. So far, I have filtered the long list of candidates for my production setup into this short list:

SolusOS

Ubuntu - Lucid Lynx

Xubuntu

Cloverleaf-Linux
    - if it comes out.

SolusOS stands out like bird poop on a black shoe and there's nothing stopping me, with the exception of... well, there's no 64 bit at the SolusOS download page and that really kills the advantage.

Lucid is old and support days are long gone. Unity is a major abstraction from the prouctivity side of 12.04 and forward. In fact, I will never again be using Ubuntu in it's U form - My arms are still open to Kubuntu and Xubuntu.

Xubuntu - Xubuntu is young and powerful and I love it - only thing that can compete with SolusOS

Cloverleaf-Linux - The dudes are still in the artwork phase.

So, which of them, according to you, is best? And, can anybody tell me where I can get a good copy of 64 bit SolusOS stable?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Something Rock Solid and Lightweight

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kuzhively View Post
    I'm done distro-hopping: my tour of the Linux world was awesome.

And now,

Games are over:

I'm planning to dual-boot my PC with a Linux Distro and Windows 7. So far, I have filtered the long list of candidates for my production setup into this short list:

SolusOS

Ubuntu - Lucid Lynx

Xubuntu

Cloverleaf-Linux
    - if it comes out.

SolusOS stands out like bird poop on a black shoe and there's nothing stopping me, with the exception of... well, there's no 64 bit at the SolusOS download page and that really kills the advantage.

Lucid is old and support days are long gone. Unity is a major abstraction from the prouctivity side of 12.04 and forward. In fact, I will never again be using Ubuntu in it's U form - My arms are still open to Kubuntu and Xubuntu.

Xubuntu - Xubuntu is young and powerful and I love it - only thing that can compete with SolusOS

Cloverleaf-Linux - The dudes are still in the artwork phase.

So, which of them, according to you, is best? And, can anybody tell me where I can get a good copy of 64 bit SolusOS stable?
    SolusOS x64 -> http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/solusos/
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post

Why isn't there on SolusOS's website?

Anyway - out of the 4 which one would you choose?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cloverleaf announced yesterday they won't be doing a release. Too few project members.

The new Elementary OS, based on 12.04, is light, attractive and fast. You should read up on it to understand the design choices they've made.

Crunchbang is another option. Very good and knowledgable community.

SolusOS, in all fairness, is moving very, very slowly to a release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Solus Os1 original version has a 64 bit but Ikey (the developer) is working on Solus Os2 which will be going through various alpha and beta stages before it final releases...he is making major re-vampings in the packaging system and the entire Os....eventually there will be a 64 bit version but probably not while it goes through the testing stages...Solus Os2 will be much MUCH nicer even then the old Solus Os1...

So, yeah eventually Solus will be a great contender...You can follow the progress on Os2 on his blog page at their website...At this point in time, Ikey encourages people to work with (testing) the new Solus Os2 rather then the old Os1 which is now outdated and is no longer being developed...Those mirror links Sandyd gave up are for the old Solus Os1...
    http://solusos.com/ scroll down the main page and read the information...

Progress will be slow...as buzzingrobot mentioned as it is a big project for him and he has limited time with work and personal life...
    Unfortunately, that is an aspect of smaller distros in that unlike say, Ubuntu...you don't have scores of developers working on it...just one or two people...(in Solus case... two actually)...Ikey and Justin...
    Last edited by craig10x; August 26th, 2013 at 06:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Linux Mint Mate 14 gives you the Ubuntu repositories with a decent desktop environment.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I like full Ubuntu, but do not use Unity, but the old fallback or gnome-panel which is very similar to gnome2.
    My monitor is an old 4:3 and having top & bottom panels is better than one at the side. Plus oldfred is resistant to change.

gnome3 classic
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
    On login screen click on logo/cog-wheel/star and choose
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/classicgnome
    12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks kansasnoob & cortman
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...eClassicTweaks
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2090021
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/g...g-ever-changed
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

@buzzingrobot

Great. No Cloverleaf...

Anyway, I checked out elementaryOS and Dedoimedo gave it a 5/10 which is quite bad and I'm not so sure about the Distro.

Crunchbang has nothing special about it.

About SolusOS, I really wish that there were a few more guys in the team. It was unbelievebly hot!

@craig10x

@tgalati4

I've been having some trouble with Mint and Ubuntu. See, I have Wireless broadband connection and when I leave it to download torrents overnight - After a few hours, it just simply disconnects.

I can vaguely guess that it might be Ubuntu's power management for USBs which after some hours sends the USB into standby.

@oldfred

Unity is a pest. A parasite eating into the fine theory of desktop computers with it's touchscreen-obsession and I repeat, I won't stand unity in it's U-form.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

unity is really just a dock though....don't you use the dock in xubuntu?
    it would be nice if they gave you the option of moving it to the bottom, though personally i don't mind it on the left that much

Solus Os2 will probably be very nice when it's ready (final release) but yeah...just the 2 developers so it will take time...if i were to take a wild guess i would say by the end of the year or early part of the next year...there will be plenty of alphas and betas along the way....but i mean final version...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    unity is really just a dock though....don't you use the dock in xubuntu?
    it would be nice if they gave you the option of moving it to the bottom, though personally i don't mind it on the left that much

Solus Os2 will probably be very nice when it's ready (final release) but yeah...just the 2 developers so it will take time...if i were to take a wild guess i would say by the end of the year or early part of the next year...there will be plenty of alphas and betas along the way....but i mean final version...
    I have no problem with the dock. The problem is a long collection of errors and crashes accompanied by lags, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast