Thread: Unable to Execute VLC from PHP

Beans

Unable to Execute VLC from PHP

I am running uBuntu 12.04.3, 32 bit OS on a 8 CPU, 8GB RAM 64-bit Intel Xeon machine. I have installed all backports as well.

I have this problem which is eating my head for the last 3 days. I created a play.sh file with the following code...

Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    vlc -vvv sasural.ts
    Where sasural.ts is a video file that resides under home and in the same level as Apache. I am invoking the .sh file by using the following PHP code...

Code:
    shell_exec('play.sh');
    I also tried both the exec() / system() methods to invoke the .sh file.

Whenever I do so, I get the following message...

VLC media player 2.2.0-git Weatherwax Command Line Interface initialized. Type `help' for help. > Shutting down.

play.sh works if I execute it from the terminal command prompt outside of the PHP code. I guess I am doing something wrong when I invoke it from within PHP.

I have linked all directories in Apache, etc. tried every trick in the book but to no avail! I am losing my brains and my nuts over this issue! Is there anybody out there who knows what is going on?

Last edited by Seemant_Shankar; August 26th, 2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added system and OS specifications

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unable to Execute VLC from PHP

Have you tried with the full path to sasural.ts in your play.sh script?
    Last edited by Azdour; August 26th, 2013 at 05:49 PM.

Beans

Thanks Azdour. Unfortunately, yes, I have tried doing that. It still did not pick it up. What concerns me is the fact that VLC tells me that its shutting down. This ONLY happens when I run if from the PHP script and not when I run the .sh file from the command prompt.

Beans
    Distro

Since VLC is a graphical application maybe VLC is having problems finding the correct X DISPLAY to open on. I wonder what user your PHP shell_exec is being run under. Could it be trying to run as www-data the Apache2 user? Since www-data is not logged in there is no X Display running.

How about adding the following to your play script before you call vlc:

export DISPLAY=:0.0

or

export DISPLAY=:1.0

UPDATE: after having Googled for similar questions I have also found the following -

you need to add the user apache runs as (maybe www-data or apache) to the group 'video' in your /etc/groups file

Beans

VLC has a non GUI version as well known as noX. Since the server is a headless kind I have installed that on my machine. Therefore there is no need to run it with a Display parameter.

The solution should be pretty straightforward. I don't know where I am going wrong.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I do not know much about what you are trying to do but you are trying to play a video via VLC. So at some point that video needs to be displayed on a display. Where are you aiming to view this video, I'm guessing not on the headless server but are you trying to stream it to the computer viewing the php page?

Beans

Yes Azdour, I am planning to stream the file out of the headless server to a set top box on the network. The server just needs to stream the video out using a command line shell file that I am trying to call via a PHP page.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

Sorry I'm not sure what to suggest next.

Beans
    Hidden!

try
    Code:
     #!/bin/bash
    instead of
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    ?
    does a space in #! /bin/sh matter? I've never utilized sh but it looks "funny"
    What's a landing but a take off in reverse?