Thread: Minecraft Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Minecraft Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Hi Guys

First off apologies if this is in the wrong section or has been posted before, i had a quick look and count see any like it.

Anyway, my kid wants to play minecraft on my system, as far as i know it has the recommended specs, i was wondering if anyone else has managed to get it to work. Ive done the run from Java version but i would like to buy the full game so they can download the mods and texture packs, i have'nt figured out how to do that on the Java executing one, so was wondering if A: anyones run it successfully via its own launcher or B: if theyve managed to add mods to the Java running one.

Sorry if anything is confusing Im quite new to Linux, thanks in advance.

Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Minecraft Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Hello, welcome!

Minecraft works just as well (or better ) In linux as in Windows. Just install OpenJDK 7, then download minecraft.jar from Minecraft.net, then start it with OpenJdk.

If you'r unsure about that you can try my app "Minecraftier" which handles all that, including Java. It can patch Minecraft with basic mods for you as well, such as Forge and Optifine.

Link in my sig if you'r interested. Best of luck.
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; August 27th, 2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    This is my signature

Beans

Thank you for the reply DarkAmbient its appreciated, so if I pay for it she can download texture packs and other mods? I know you said basic mods does that mean it wont run all?

Also, does your installer work on the latest version? Thanks in advance.

Nick
    Last edited by Nick_Miles; August 28th, 2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Not the 1.6.2 version, but it does with the latest "official" which is 1.5.2. The 1.6.# got a different game-files-structure you could say, and I think it's only temporary till 1.6.2 becomes the default/official latest one. To much work for only a short period of time to "support" 1.6.2 right now.

You/the player needs an Mojang account with Minecraft bought and connected to it to be able to play Minecraft. You can get one on http://minecraft.net, It's a one time fee.

You can still use my app to download/install Minecraft, update lwjgl, find links to useful Minecraft-sites or translate ingame-glyphs etc. You need to download 1.6.2 manually from https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.D.../Minecraft.jar, but this new "file-structure" means that 1.5.2 will be preserved. So to launch 1.5.2 use my app or the starter found in Unity-dash / menu. To start 1.6.2 launch that file you downloaded from link. You can enter worlds created with 1.5.2 with 1.6.2, not the other way around. (I think)

edit: If you deceide to mod Minecraft using Minecraftier, then it won't affect 1.6.2. You need to manually download the mod and follow the instruction on how to install it.
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; August 28th, 2013 at 03:45 PM.
    This is my signature

Beans

Ok many thanks for your help :O) Ill try it out tonight.

Nick

Beans

I have minecraft forge 1.5.2, you can install SP, and forge pro upgrade, following the commands in terminal.

It's in Portuguese, but gives to understand:

http://www.vivaolinux.com.br/topico/Emulacao-de-jogos/MinecraftSPjar-no-Ubuntu-pra-servidores-nao-oficiaisPirata