Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: difficult to add screenshots (or any attachment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: difficult to add screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Settings -> General Settings. Bottom of page = "Enhanced Attachment Uploading".

EDIT: by the way, some of these upload failures may be due to images exceeding the allowable size. For instance the original of the screenshot below was 1368x591, larger than the permissible 1024x768 for png images, and I got an upload failure. Resizing it to 1024x442 allowed me to attach it.

The failure of vbulletin to show a helpful message when you try to upload/attach an oversized image is - well - a failure. I'll look into it and see if we can do something about it. Don't hold your breath though.

Attachment 245988

It has 'enhanced' set by default. I turned it off.. will see now.

Ok.. all seems well with <no enhanced> .. but as for what mac4man has been trying to point out .. I think it has been a random event , more capricious than not.

edit:

err .. I think I set the enhanced settings some time ago because this had happened before.

edit:

Please note that the < ventrical@ventrical-P4M266A-8237:~$ > in the screenshot is an install of saucy 3.11.0-2 on an hdd from another system. I was having overclocking problems with SATA hdd on ASUS P5AD2-E Deluxe. The IDE drive has allowed me to stablize Unity at a high clock rate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ventrical; September 4th, 2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: off topic superfluosity...
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running W. Werewolf /dev/@ 4.05GHz64bit/ onE8400 Core2Duo-Wolfdale+Howler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Attachments

Unable to attach files to the forum posts.
    My png file is just abt 30 - 35 kb in size and of abt 408x228 pixels, the uploader is reporting it is too large. Kindly check.
    I have tried all possible ways, by changing to basic uploader, changing the file name, changing to jpg from png but nothing worked.

The error msg was :

The following errors occurred:
    clock.png: Upload of file failed. Was your file larger than the permitted (1024x768 for images)?
    Last edited by 3dmatrix; September 4th, 2013 at 11:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Attachments

Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

Please see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2170444
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans

Generally I use FF so that's where I've seen the issue, though have now tested the repo version of chromium in 13.04 & while a bit better it also has failures.
    Whenever chromium fails it gives warning about "file larger than the permitted (1024x768 for images)?" when they're not
    (though there never has been any issue before about attaching a 1200x800 (fullscreen shot here), & I can still do so with some effort

chromium & FF both tend to never fail in enhanced when DnD a stored image, both can fail with new images in either mode

Just tried a small text file in chromium, fail.. screen (maybe... nope, had to open FF to attach, too many attempts in chromium eventually crashes it
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Settings -> General Settings. Bottom of page = "Enhanced Attachment Uploading".

EDIT: by the way, some of these upload failures may be due to images exceeding the allowable size. For instance the original of the screenshot below was 1368x591, larger than the permissible 1024x768 for png images, and I got an upload failure. Resizing it to 1024x442 allowed me to attach it.

The failure of vbulletin to show a helpful message when you try to upload/attach an oversized image is - well - a failure. I'll look into it and see if we can do something about it. Don't hold your breath though.

Attachment 245988
    I'm not sure that oversized images is the problem, as several of my attachments have been much larger that 1024X768, if I remember correctly the forum should accept any size image as an attachment, and resize it to 1024X768, at one point it was much larger, but sometime in the dim past matthew set it to a maximum of 1024X768.

Edit The original of the image I just attached, is 1680X1050
    Last edited by cariboo; September 5th, 2013 at 04:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: difficult to add screenshots (or any attachment

merged to similar threads again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

With me it was neither the problem of knowing how to attach, nor it was the size (both pixel / Kb). I have attached files many times on this forum but some how it was not working that time but now i checked again and it has started working. If you wish to check the size and weight of the attachment then have a look at the first post of this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12779048) it is already uploaded. Anyway thanks all of you.
    Last edited by 3dmatrix; September 5th, 2013 at 06:36 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I'm not sure that oversized images is the problem, as several of my attachments have been much larger that 1024X768, if I remember correctly the forum should accept any size image as an attachment, and resize it to 1024X768, at one point it was much larger, but sometime in the dim past matthew set it to a maximum of 1024X768.
    Yes, you're right - the forum software should resize the image, now that I remember. Which is interesting because I was getting the failure with an oversized image but not when I resized it. What with all the other variables other users are reporting this is going to be a tricky one to track down.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This may or may not have any bearing on the problem, but s.fox posted an image in the staff forums, that I liked, and resized to use as an avatar, I got a failure to upload image error when I tried to set it as my avatar.

Edit: As you can see, after trying twice, the avatar uploaded, the first time it failed, the error message I got was that perhaps the image was to large, it had to be smaller that 1024X768, the avatar is 75X110, so there is something that isn't working right.
    Last edited by cariboo; September 5th, 2013 at 09:07 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123