Thread: Ubuntu Beginners / New Comers to Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Ubuntu Beginners / New Comers to Linux

Hi UF Staff,

Question 1:
    Absolute Beginner Section :
    The perfect place to post for your Ubuntu support if you are new to Linux.
    What about 'the perfect place to post for your non-support/non-technical Ubuntu if you are new to Linux.' ?!

In another word: for those new users to Linux and Ubuntu, where can they post their non-support/non-technical Question/Problem on Ubuntu Forum? is there a perfect place for those kind of Qs?

Question 2:
    Where can I discuss anything related to Ubuntu Beginners Team beside the Mailing List of UBT?
    For example, I'd like to spread the word of a new project related to UBT, or I'd like to discuss some Wiki Edits, or how new comers can join and help, etc. Maybe any kind of non-technical discussion?

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Beginners / New Comers to Linux

Question 1 - http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=434 and http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11

The forum is a support forum - we provide chat areas for non-support issues.

Question 2 - As far as I can tell the beginners team is more or less finished now, I wander by now and again to the m/l for BT, I was at one point heavily involved in BT and like to see if it's doing anything. It used to be a Forum based thing - but that's a long time ago so maybe the mailing list is the best place for it. Though once again you 'could' post in the chat areas of the forum.

There is a Community Wiki sub-forum for wiki's.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat would be an appropriate place for both. And, no, we're not going to have a special place for beginners to chat or pose non-technical questions. There are probably far too many sub-forums as it is, certainly too many for newcomers to find their way around easily, and we're having a discussion about the possibility of paring down the number of sections in the interests of clarity, rather than adding to them.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

For example, I'd like to spread the word of a new project related to UBT
    I'd be interested to know what sort of new project and how you envisage spreading the word. Because I'm to sure a post here will do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hello Elfy,

Thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Question 1 - http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=434 and http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11

The forum is a support forum - we provide chat areas for non-support issues.
    I see. So, the UF Staff are still on the same plan (purely technical support, less general chat). I do understand that completely, but ... what about those new comers who feel really lost? we have been there, all of us, and we do know how hard it feels, right?

I'm just concerned the areas you mentioned won't help them but will make them feel more lost and confused. However, I might like the idea of The Cafe and the real Question here is: Will this really help them? or create more confusion and headache? I'm trying to think about them being very new and fresh, not about us who have been around for years and know how things usually work

I feel bad for them. It seems there can't find the best or perfect for them to start with

How about a little label "this are for purely new comers to Linux/Ubuntu" ? yes, I'm still talking about the general topics, not the technical one which already has a place, that is the Absolute Beginners Section.

Question 2 - As far as I can tell the beginners team is more or less finished now, I wander by now and again to the m/l for BT, I was at one point heavily involved in BT and like to see if it's doing anything.
    Have another look now

Someone has stepped in and willing to help
    I can't let that team vanish, not while I can do something to help and I will.

It used to be a Forum based thing - but that's a long time ago so maybe the mailing list is the best place for it.
    Since I have joined UBT until now, I haven't seen REAL action if you know what I mean. However, I do hope that is all history now and I, with the help of those who are willing to help me, I/we can do something. What is the point to have the best system in the world and there is no place for new comers? no team to take care of them? UBT is very important IMHO and we should not let it die.

Though once again you 'could' post in the chat areas of the forum.
    You mean the Cafe and Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat?

There is a Community Wiki sub-forum for wiki's.
    Yes, I know but it is to discuss both:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com
    and
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I really don't know how to make it more plain.

The forum is for support - we provide areas for people to talk about non-support issues.

I don't need to look now - I'd actually looked this morning. I see that the mailing list is still dead.

As Coffecat has said - "And, no, we're not going to have a special place for beginners to chat or pose non-technical questions."

Maybe you should try using discourse for it. http://ubuntu-discourse.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hello coffeecat,

Long time no chat!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat would be an appropriate place for both.
    And, as Elfy mentioned, The Cafe as well, maybe?

And, no, we're not going to have a special place for beginners to chat or pose non-technical questions.
    Have we given a better and deeper thought about those poor new confused lost comers to Linux and Ubuntu?
    You know how it works over here, they ask a simple Q and perhaps many jump in to help but if you have a close look at the quality of the posts, you find these, in most cases, useless and push the new comer away from Linux. I've been there, I've got the T-Shirt. I know how it feels and I really feel bad for the new comers!

There are probably far too many sub-forums as it is, certainly too many for newcomers to find their way around easily, and we're having a discussion about the possibility of paring down the number of sections in the interests of clarity, rather than adding to them.
    +1
    Agreed but how about re-think about the overall structure? and while in the process of minimizing the sub-sections of Ubuntu Forums, you can have one area for the New comers, one for general chat (not really an off-topic area but an area to guide them through their very first step - NO, Ubuntu Forums as of today, it is not really helpful for that) and the other is already exists, that is the Absolute Beginners Section (which is for Technical topics).

Let me make life easier for me and you

Phase 1: Help and Guide a New Comer to Get Started and Learn HOWTO Walk.

Phase 2: When a New Comer Has Already Made His/Her Very First Step and Started to Understand What Ubuntu is and HOW it Works, He/She Will then:
    (a) Start Actually Using It
    (b) Start Finding Some Issues (problems or hard to understand some stuff)
    (c) He/She will Start Asking Qs

ONLY That Time, There Will Be a Sub-Forum for Them to Ask for Help!

Now, UBT, IMHO, should be in charge of Phase 1 completely. HOWEVER, the mailing list can't work alone, it would be super great to have a forum for those who like Forums more. This Sub-Forum for now, does not exist. We are using another Sub-Forum for that purpose (as you just suggested) but if you think about it, these two areas you suggested aren't very helpful for this kind of thing.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I'd be interested to know what sort of new project and how you envisage spreading the word. Because I'm to sure a post here will do that.
    I have sent two emails to UBT Mailing List. If you want, have a look. If you don't want, that is your call
    You are asking me and I'm giving you the answer

As for you are not sure how a post over here will help, I don't know either how to make it more simple and clear

One needs to put him/her self in a new comer's shoes and think the same way they do. Maybe, just maybe, only then, we can understand what they really need. Just a thought?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You're not listening to us.

This will just go round and round in circles.

We are not going to be creating any new areas here.