Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic desktop?

Beans

Basic desktop?

Help, please.

I have abandoned Ubuntu, due to the Unity desktop environment, and I am on the verge of doing the same with Kubuntu.

I want a desktop like the classic desktop of Unbuntu Lucid Lynx. A simple, basic, functional desktop without all the fancy frills that I have no use for. I have no use and no desire for all of the bells, whistles and fancy graphics of the desktops trying to imitate Mac and Windows. And trying to be a tablet. Meanwhile making basic tasks difficult if not impossible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't want to stay with Lucid Lynx, despite how much I like it, because I still want to get the security updates, and program and system upgrades.

Any and all assistance appreciated.
    Last edited by coffeecat; August 27th, 2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: please do not mis-spell Windows

Beans

Re: Basic desktop?

Try out any of the variants. Or some other distro. I use Xubuntu, but Lubuntu would also be fine. Look for "linux minimal desktop" and you'll get all sorts of stuff.

You might also look at blackbox or any other lightweight window manager. There are so many variants out there with slightly different characteristics it's just a matter of finding one you like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

+1 Xubuntu. Actually you can add the Xfce desktop to Ubuntu and choose your desktop at login. Also there is Gnome Fallback (sometimes referred to as Classic) which has the old Gnome 2 look and feel. Xubuntu, though, is really nice.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

Gnome (Ubuntu main) and KDE (Kubuntu) are full-featured desktops.

Xubuntu and Lubuntu are lightweight simple variants. Just search on 'lightweight ubuntu' or 'simple ubuntu' and see what comes up.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

chuck5; Hi !

A minimal install and xfce4 as the desk top environment has my endorsement. Lean, mean, fast and no nonsense.
    Requires some knowledge of what you want of an operating system.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    +1 Xubuntu. Actually you can add the Xfce desktop to Ubuntu and choose your desktop at login. ....
    Since 13.10 isn't too far off, I would feel it's not a bad idea to install xubuntu-desktop and lubuntu-desktop so that you can log into Xubuntu or Lubuntu or Unity (Ubuntu). Test drive them for a while and then, when 13.10 is out, make a clean install of the one you like.

There are those who'll suggest installing something more minimal than xubuntu-desktop or lubuntu-desktop which is fine if you know what you're doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Another +1 for Xubuntu. XFCE is by far my favorite DE. However, it's not what I'm using. I'm using Linux Mint 13 MATE. The MATE DE is a pretty near dead ringer for the old Gnome 2 DE you are familiar with. However, there is not a *buntu flavor that comes with it installed by default. Linux Mint, however, does.

Beans

Elementary is quite a minimalistic desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

If you miss God old Gnome 2 give LinuxMint with the Mate desktop envirnment a look.

Mate is Good old Gnome 2 and Linux mint is just Ubuntu Modified for a more traditional audiance. all ofthe ubuntu Repos and PPA's work with it and Mint has a few nice tools for handleing repos

heres a decent youtube review of Mint.
    http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/3...is-las-s27e02/
    Last edited by dusanyu; August 27th, 2013 at 12:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ubuntu mate 12.04.v1 is lightweight and has LTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast