Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few issues with Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Few issues with Ubuntu 12.04

I've been using Ubuntu 12.04.2 for a couple of months now, and there are few minor issues which are bugging me, and it would be good to have a fix.

1. In Firefox, clicking on a torrent download link does not give me an "Open With Transmission" option.

2. Another Firefox issue, one that I faced in 11.04 as well. Even though in the Preferences->Applications section I've set the preference of what to do with mp3 files as "Always Ask", it never asks me and automatically starts to play the file.

3. Nautilus windows opened from other applications for the purpose of selecting files to open, or folders where I want to save files, are always unmaximised. This is a little annoying because my laptop screen is such that the bottom of these windows, where the "Open" and "Cancel" buttons are, is not visible. If I maximise the window or change the size of the window, these changes are not remembered.

4. Another Nautilus issue is that certain window settings are not remembered. In List View, if I expand one of the columns, this setting is not remembered.

5. Banshee does not update the music library on its own. Now I faced this problem with 11.04 as well but at least there I could just click on "Rescan Library" and it would update it. This does not seem to work in 12.04 and I've to import the whole library every time.

6. In the Brightness and Lock settings, even if I set the "Lock screen after" time to 1 hour, it always locks it according to the time I've set against "Turn screen off after".

Beans

Re: Few issues with Ubuntu 12.04

1 - Open firefox/Edit/Preferences/Applications magnet set it to use /usr/bin/transmission-gtk

2 - enter about:config into the firefox address bar (confirm the info message in case it shows up) & search for the preference named media.windows-media-foundation.enabled. double-click it and change its value to false.

there is a few answers.

Beans

It was already set to Transmission gtk in the preferences and there is no preference named media.windows-media-foundation.enabled. in about:config.

Beans

How do I set the preference magnet to /usr...??? I click use other and it takes me to "recently used" don't know how to find/set /usr/bin Ok, got it set, thanks.
    Last edited by eljw926; August 29th, 2013 at 06:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

1. Check here, the answer is the 5th post down by CoffeeTime.
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=103267.0

3. This Is a bug that some of us have that has not been fixed. 13.04 is ok but not 12.04. All I can suggest is open the app minimized, then drag the edges out so it fills most of your screen. This should be remembered on reopening.

5. Where do your keep your Music? If it is on a seperate partition or drive, this needs to be mounted in fstab to stop the need for rescanning everytime.

Sorry can't help with your other issues.

Beans

I followed the instructions on that post, and magnet links are automatically being opened by Transmission, but when I click on the "download torrent file" option, it still does not give me an "open with" option. It only gives a "Save file" option.

And yes, I keep my music on a separate partition. Can you please guide me on how to mount it in fstab? Because I've already used Mount Manager to make that partition automatically mount on startup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Magnet problem - Once you have followed the instructions above, go to firefox/edit/preferences/applications. Scroll down to magnet, & set to either "always ask" or to whatever program you want to use to open magnet links.

You 2nd issue is a bit more in depth. First check your fstab file to make sure the partition you're using isn't already being mounted.
    If it isn't you could follow this guide:
    http://www.binarytides.com/ubuntu-au...ition-startup/
    If you find this too difficult, if you post back with the partition no. ie sda1/2/3etc... the uuid of the partition, & what format it is, ie NTFS, ext4 etc...
    I will post back with the commands you need to use in a terminal to make it mount at boot.
    Banshee then shouldn't have a problem.

Beans

The partition actually does mount on boot. I've set it to that using Mount Manager. The partition number is sda12 and the UUID is 365315F110F42CE7. It is an NFTS partition.

And again, while the issue with the magnet link is sorted, clicking on "download torrent file" still does not give me an "Open with" option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi davy,

Just check that the partition is listed correctly in /etc/fstab. It should look something like this. (this is mine of course)
    UUID=1c34a1fc-3d30-4fe7-bd1e-174c810e6451 /storage ext4 defaults 0 0
    If it does, then Banshee should have no need to rescan your full library on opening.

You torrent file problem I have looked at again, & that is correct. If you are "downloading" the torrent file, then it will only ask you where you want it downloading to.
    You then need to right click the torrent file, & open it with your desired program.

Beans

This is how it looks -

UUID=365315F110F42CE7 /media/Data ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast