Thread: New to Ubuntu and have some questions

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile New to Ubuntu and have some questions

My husband and I are new to Ubuntu. We didn't know that there was an Ubuntu CE! We have been testing Ubuntu on our old computer. We like it so much that when we get brand new computers in September we will ask for Ubuntu CE to be installed with no other operating system. We do have a question or two, though. If we want to update or upgrade our Ubuntu CE to a current distro, how do we do that? Right now, we are so new to this, that we will have a computer shop install it for us. I know that at some point we will want to install it ourselves, but the thought of making everything work properly scares us. How do you get a printer to work, or does Ubuntu automatically recognize the printer? How do you get your audio devices to work or does Ubuntu automatically recognize those? Does Ubuntu automatically recognize your mouse and keyboard?

Sorry for all these questions, my husband and I just need to know what we would need to do to upgrade to a new version in the future if we want to do that. Neither one of us know enough about computers to be able to understand how to write commands in the command line and that is what scares us. We need an install that will take care of everything for us, without the need for knowing what commands to write. If it is better to have a professional install it for us, we will do that. Just let us know what you think would be best for our situation!

Becky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: New to Ubuntu and have some questions

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Most of your hardware should work out of the box. However, great thing about Ubuntu (and Linux in general) is that you can try Ubuntu without installing it.
    So you are able to test and confirm that all your hardware works with Ubuntu before you make the decision to actually use Ubuntu.
    All you would need to do is, download Ubuntu and burn it to a CD. Then just put the CD in and when it boots, simply click "Try Ubuntu".

And installing it is really simple too, just follow the onscreen instructions and it will be done in no time.

And unless there is some specific problem that you are having that requires you to use the commend line to fix it, you wont need to touch the command line or use any commands at all. Everything can be done visually using the mouse.

Also there are a lot of helpful resources online that can help you get started, like this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=801404

And for everything else, don't hesitate to ask, people are really nice here

Hope that helps!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Microsoft has made it more complicated with new Windows 8 systems. And it is really difficult to get a system without Windows unless you build a desktop yourself.

New computers have implemented UEFI Secure Boot so it Boots Windows in secure boot mode. But it only adds a little security and is more marketing by Microsoft since historically it has had so many security issues. And it makes it more difficult to install another system so that complies with Microsoft's policies. (Documented in a court case, now older).

Very new hardware usually takes a while for Linux to catch up with, but Intel has helped a lot and if you install the newest version of Ubuntu, it will work with the very new hardware. But some very high end systems are more difficult to install typically called Ultrabooks.

You may have to search around for a computer shop. It used to be there were a lot of shops but now there are just a few and they mostly are to support business. You may find it worthwhile just to buy a Windows system and install yourself. There are a lot of guides with screen shots so you have an idea of what you are doing. And the Forum is here to help you.

Windows computers are often cheaper. One reason is that a lot of vendor include "free" one or 6 month trial versions of software and then sell you the upgrade. They pay the computer vendor for that temp install. The computer vendor then offsets the cost of Windows, so Windows often is cheaper from the few vendors that offer Linux.

One user posted that he buys a system with a hard drive. Removed hard drive and just installs Ubuntu on a new SSD. Then when he sells system he puts Windows drive back in and has a fully working Windows just like new.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@oldfred--We had Ubuntu installed on a computer we already own. The computer we already own is pretty ooollld. We have a computer shop not too far from where we live, and this computer shop installed it for us. All they charged us for was $40 for the labor to install it. We might talk to them and see what they would be able to do. I know that Windows computers are often cheaper, but my soul, we do not like the way Microsoft is going and we want to get out of Microsoft into Linux. We have researched Mac as well, but we keep coming back to Linux, and specifically Ubuntu now that we know we can get UbuntuCE. Thankfully, we do not need the Ultra books or any other very high end systems. All we need are laptops. The computer shop that near where we live refurbishes used computers. It didn't appear to us when we were in their shop that they ever sell brand new computers, so perhaps that is why they were willing to install Ubuntu on our current computer. What you have told me here gives me and my husband hope that if we talk to that computer shop again that we could have a newer computer with a newer Ubuntu system on it.
    @thee--I will try the cd idea out! Thanks for that idea.
    @ both oldfred and thee--thanks so much for answering my questions!