Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High temperatures while idle, any suggestions?

Beans

High temperatures while idle, any suggestions?

I have a Packard Bell Easynote TS laptop that is about 2.5-3 years old now, I have had some long running heat problems on it and I'm out of ideas. I'm running Win7/Kubuntu in dual-boot configuration, Kubuntu installed through Wubi.

While I use the computer and not doing anything special at al, just browsing the internet and whatever, or if I just leave it running without doing anything the temperature stays around 80 degress centigrade constantly, according the the KDE temperature widget. If that is the CPU temperature or something else I have no idea, but it is way too high anyway.

I have bought a cooler pad that I can put my laptop on with fans in it, and it helps a bit, lowering the temperature to around 69-72 degrees, but it is bulky and inconvenient to carry with me. I have tried clearing the laptop fans from dust and so on, but didn't really notice any difference.

If anyone got any experience with heatproblems on latops I would appreciate any suggestions you have!
    Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: High temperatures while idle, any suggestions?

I had a Packard Bell laptop from a friend some moths back that was overheating. It got so hot that it kept turning off after working a little, and in time the HDD failed and had to be replaced. Seems like Packard Bell really has some serious heat issues with their laptops.

Anyway, I had to take the entire laptop a part to be able to reach and clean the cooler, it was a horrific experience, but after I did that and applied some thermal paste on the CPU, the temperatures normalized and the laptop stopped turning off.

What I'm saying is, that either you need to clean the cooler better / apply new thermal paste or you need to replace the cooler altogether, because it may be faulty and it doesn't spin fast enough to cool the components right.

That's all I can tell you.

Beans

Thanks for the input, I have actually had a few BSODs in windows due to overheating, and you might very well be right. I'm not messing around with opening up the laptop though, I don't want to break anything, but if the hdd can break, then I risk loosing data, which means that it might be worth paying some retailer to have it serviced though.

Beans
    Distro

Well then I advise you to backup your data in either case.

Beans

Thanks, yes of course, I've already started doing backups, but there will always be a delay between backups, and if the harddrive dies, then there will always be a loss of data, even though the loss can be reduced if you backup often.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

/me fondly remembers setting up an Acer laptop on ice (with some plastic wrap in between) to finish up a backup right before it died.. After some cleaning and a new drive, this one got named Yeti it has low specs by today standards, still working, one of my sons using it.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans

@bapoumba: That sounds interesting, maybe I should wait 2 months and just put on some extra clothes and do all work outside? I live almost at the polar circle so the snow comes early here.

My guess is that that would cut my batterypower quite short though, since batteries don't work very well in cold conditions. ^^

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by eternal243 View Post
    @bapoumba: That sounds interesting, maybe I should wait 2 months and just put on some extra clothes and do all work outside? I live almost at the polar circle so the snow comes early here.

My guess is that that would cut my batterypower quite short though, since batteries don't work very well in cold conditions. ^^
    I'm not sure I have the name correct, I used ice packs (thingies you place in the freezer to later use in a cooler). So there was not that much water running out when they were warming up. But if you can wait a couple month, going outside may be a solution ^^
    It was sort of a joke, but at the time it did save my backup. I did all that with the power plugged in, not on battery.
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |

Beans
    Distro

Well its not the first time I hear about it: http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-reco...rd-drive-data/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Thee View Post
    Well its not the first time I hear about it: http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-reco...rd-drive-data/
    Oh, I did not know
    I my case, the laptop was overheating and was shutting shut down very often. logs were clear about the critical temps. The drive died shortly after I could complete the backup. I had placed the laptop on the iced thingies, got some around too.
    J'aime les fraises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast