Thread: External audio interface setup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

External audio interface setup

I recently bought Presonus Firebox external audio interface to use with Ardour in ubuntu 13.04 but I have so far failed to get a single bleep out of it. I've been fighting with this for two days now, so can someone please help me. I'm a newbie when it comes to jack and audio in linux in general.

I've installed jack and ffado, and if I select firewire as my driver the light on my presonus turns blue from red, so my box is probably recognized correctly. Still, no sound comes out when I play something with ardour. I've tried different interface -settings in QjackCtl, but nothing seems to work. I'm guessing the interface setting should be /dev/fw0 or /dev/fw1, but it makes no difference whatever I choose.
    Last edited by Warlon; August 25th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: External audio interface setup

Ok, I got some sound. I had to add a link from /dev/raw1394 to /dev/fw0 and give them sufficient permissions:

sudo chmod 0777 /dev/fw0
    sudo ln /dev/fw0 /dev/raw1394
    sudo chmod 0777 /dev/raw1394

But now I have to do this after every reboot. How can I make this change permanent? Or is there some reason why I'm missing /dev/raw1394?

Beans

Re: External audio interface setup

I have a firebox and this seems to work. make sure the box is on and connected to the computer before you power it up. Then open Terminal and type this "jackd -r -dfirewire then minimize Terminal. If you close the Terminal it will turn off the firebox. The blue light should come on. I had to try this a couple of times to get it going. Ardour will work right away when it is done. Also you must install Qjackctl. http://markmims.com/howtos/2011/08/1...s-firebox.html will give you more info and other steps to take if this does not work
    Last edited by Dart56; October 13th, 2013 at 06:18 PM.