Page 182 of 203 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 2026

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Hello All.

I am having problems with write access to my vista partition, I am told that using ntfs-3g will solve my problems

Well it looks as thought the next thing I am going to play with is going to be the fstab and stuff, I'm learning so much Linux command line stuff it is brilliant.

one quick question before I run and leap into this procedure....

there are various options for the drive in the fstab, can anyone point me in the direction of what they are and how I add them to the file. I know I just need to edit the file, but what is the "code" for the different levels of access so as I can see if it currently mounting the system without permisions, so as I can at least add them to Super user and then chown a subdirectory (or better still partition a bunch away for personal stuff shared between desktops!)

keep up the god work all your geeky guru's. I'm hoping land a unix junior admin job at some point in the future, so I will be relying on you an awful lot.

Oh and thanks in advance for the help, you are all stars.

Dave

Beans

Angry Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

I'm a newbie for using Ubuntu. I'm using Ubuntu 7.04. Default, it read good ntfs drive , but I can't write file on ntfs drive , can't you help me. Myfriend tell me Ubuntu 7.04 support write on ntfs drive but i can't. Is it right? Thank you.
    PS: don't see my grammar, it's bad!

that is what ntfs-3g is for, it allows you to write to your ntfs drive follow the install instructions of the first page of this thread

Beans
    Distro

Hi all.

I have been having games getting read / write permissions to function on the Vista partition.

and I haven't been able to partition the device that hold onto Vista either, in short it has been lots of fun and games.

it seems however that I may have found a solution, not elegant, a bit scary (used diskpart in dos), but hoping to be able to report a fully functioning shared area for ubuntu and ******* common files that I use.

I'll write a howto later tonight, once I have confirmed that this has worked for me.

Obviously I will put a link into this Howto as it is just so brilliant.

Dave
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans

I know this thread is pretty old, and I might not get a response, but I'll try anyway. I'm pretty new to ubuntu, but how do you input a vertical line when you are inputting the line :

wget http://flomertens.free.fr/ubuntu/givre_key.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

I don't know how to use the symbol following -O- .
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by battaz View Post
    I know this thread is pretty old, and I might not get a response, but I'll try anyway. I'm pretty new to ubuntu, but how do you input a vertical line when you are inputting the line :

wget http://flomertens.free.fr/ubuntu/givre_key.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

I don't know how to use the symbol following -O- .
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    On my keyboard it's the key to the immediate right of my right bracket ] } key. It's on the same key as the 'backslash'? Only you have to hold the shift key down. It looks like a vertical line--but with a gap in it. It displays without the gap--never understood why, actually...
    "He who lives by the penguin, dies by the penguin."
    (at least 'till he figures out what he's doing!)

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Thank you

Beans
    Distro

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

fully funcitoning swap and shared partitions.

All OK and being used, Great stuff.

Thanks for everyones help on this forum. I'll put together that brief howto now I think.

One quick question, since I have mangaged to get this to work I have lost functionality of my DVD playback (I use VLC), does anyone have a reason as to why this might be??

I need to test for backward compatibility an try with the "old" fstab I saved, to see if it comes back.

Battaz.

From what people are saying it seems that most keyboard have the "|" combined as the shift function on the "\" key. You will also find it as part of the ASCII codes (just google ASCII).

The "|" is often called the "pipe" (I'm sure that people will correct me if I'm wrong) and I believe that it enable you to write 2 commands on the same line to be executed consecutively, sometimes you want the result of a command (eg dmesg) to be "piped" straight into a file, rather than returning the result to screen. Don't ask me how this is done as I have never been able to get it to function as it should. The whole procedure is part of the "GREP" command - you'll have to look it up in the forums / tutorials, and is part of the niceness of Linux.

Try doing the <dmesg> command in a terminal, and the result is huge. Witht eh "Pipe" and the GREP you can reduce this to the information that you are concerned with - as I said before I really don't understand how it works, and can't seem to get it to function in a satisfactory manner - but I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong!

Hope that helps.

Dave
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Anyone know why when even using the newest version of ntfs-3g, I have to add the force option to my fstab entry to get the drive to mount on boot? Is this "risky" as opposed to not having to use the force option?

The line is
    /dev/hda1 /media/hda1-XP ntfs-3g defaults,nls=utf8,force 0 0.
    Without the force, the drive not only does not mount, but only has permissions from root, and root will not let me change permissions either.
    It looks fine with "force" but I fear writing to the partition.

BTW, I am using Edgy. On my desktop w/ Feisty, there is no issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I looked at the fstab file and the NTFS file system says ntfs like it should. If I change that to ntfs-3g will I still be able to access the information off of it?

Also, If I go to terminal and try to use chmod, and try to change it 750, chmod doesn't change the access, and it says read-only file system.
    Last edited by Seeker84; July 12th, 2007 at 03:41 PM.

Page 182 of 203 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192 ... LastLast