Page 201 of 203 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203 LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 2026

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

I have followed this tutorial and it works great, but only when i have one external ntfs hard drive connected. If i have two hard drives connected via usb only one shows is mounted automatically and when i try to mount the second one manually i get the error :

$MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0).
    Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
    NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
    The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was
    made to NTFS by this software.

I have tried this on two different computers now. Any suggestions would be very helpful. I am trying to copy files from one hard drive to the other and this is pretty impossible when only one hard drive can be mounted at a time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yani1shu View Post
    I have followed this tutorial and it works great, but only when i have one external ntfs hard drive connected. If i have two hard drives connected via usb only one shows is mounted automatically and when i try to mount the second one manually i get the error :

$MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0).
    Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
    NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
    The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was
    made to NTFS by this software.

I have tried this on two different computers now. Any suggestions would be very helpful. I am trying to copy files from one hard drive to the other and this is pretty impossible when only one hard drive can be mounted at a time.
    Just follow the instructions given in the error message.

Beans

Well there are two problems with just following the instructions given, 1. i don't have a Windows machine available to use, and 2. the root of the problem is that when i attach the two hard drives to my machine at once, only one shows up under fdisk. It's like the OS isn't able to see the two drives at the same time.

Beans

Well there are two problems with just following the instructions given, 1. i don't have a Windows machine available to use, and 2. the root of the problem is that when i attach the two hard drives to my machine at once, only one shows up under fdisk. It's like the OS isn't able to see the two drives at the same time.
    Do you mean that either drive works if plugged in by itself, but you get that error when you plug in the second drive, regardless of the order? That would be quite surprising, since that error normally means the filesystem is dirty, and must be cleaned in Windows.

Of course, if you don't have Windows available, there isn't much of a case for using NTFS, since it's far from an ideal filesystem for Linux. You could do an end run around the problem and reformat them to ext3 or some other Linux-friendly filesystem.

Beans

Both drives work perfect when plugged in individually. So lets say i have the 500Gb drive plugged in and it's working, as soon as i plug in the 1Tb drive the 500Gb disappears, not even fdisk -l sees it. The 500Gb is normally loaded [question: what do you call it before a drive is mounted, when you fdisk it?] as /dev/sdb1, when i plug the 1Tb in it gets assigned /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdb1 disappears. So i unplug the 500Gb and plug it back in and that's when i get the error message "$MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0)...." probably because the drive wasn't shut down properly. However, i can't do anything about it because Ubuntu doesn't see the drive, as far as i can tell in fdisk, until i remove the 1Tb drive, then i can see the 500Gb.

It would seem to me that Ubuntu should be able to have two NTFS external hard drives connected at the same time.
    As for reformatting, that's not an option at this point.

Beans

Both drives work perfect when plugged in individually. So lets say i have the 500Gb drive plugged in and it's working, as soon as i plug in the 1Tb drive the 500Gb disappears, not even fdisk -l sees it. The 500Gb is normally loaded [question: what do you call it before a drive is mounted, when you fdisk it?] as /dev/sdb1, when i plug the 1Tb in it gets assigned /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdb1 disappears. So i unplug the 500Gb and plug it back in and that's when i get the error message "$MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0)...." probably because the drive wasn't shut down properly. However, i can't do anything about it because Ubuntu doesn't see the drive, as far as i can tell in fdisk, until i remove the 1Tb drive, then i can see the 500Gb.

It would seem to me that Ubuntu should be able to have two NTFS external hard drives connected at the same time.
    As for reformatting, that's not an option at this point.
    Something's weird with your system, because you should be able to have multiple drives connected at once. I don't know what your problem is, but I suspect that it has nothing to do with NTFS. You might be better off posting a separate thread.

Beans

What about this for Hardy amd64? The instructions for this seem to be a bit outdated and there's nothing about that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shud View Post
    What about this for Hardy amd64? The instructions for this seem to be a bit outdated and there's nothing about that.
    These instructions are outdated. NTFS-3G is enabled by default in Hardy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

THANK YOU! IT WORKS!

This was by far the most informative, current, and as you say, easy solution to a problem that has been plaguing the dual boot community, that I have seen. I've researched on and off for weeks to find a credible solution. This brings me(and hopefully many others) one step closer to exclusively using linux.

From what I read in the replies, Hardy has NTFS-3G enabled by default. So by changing the fstab file as you stated should be all that is needed. Easy, fast, does the job wanted.

Great job, thanks for effort.
    Last edited by jbruced; October 2nd, 2008 at 10:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi guys,

Sorry if I'm out of touch with current reality (hope so!) on this one but I've been away from Linux for several months now (too much going on offline to bother installing Ubuntu on the new PC ).

I do reallu NEED Linux tough! Winblows' driving me insane!
    I still do need the b@st@rd though...

So, could you please take a look on the topic below and say somethin'?
    NTFS integrity with the 3g dirver (or other)

TIA
    jdackle ~ Linux Counter user # 274021 ~ Ubuntu Counter User # 17154

Page 201 of 203 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203 LastLast