Page 71 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

I have an external usb drive that actually has both my linux filesystem (everything) and a separate ntfs partition. I followed all the methods but it wouldn't work. Everything installed, but when I tried to run the script by right-clicking on the usbdisk icon, it said that my device couldn't be managed by this script. Anyone know what happened?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alan_daniel View Post
    I have an external usb drive that actually has both my linux filesystem (everything) and a separate ntfs partition. I followed all the methods but it wouldn't work. Everything installed, but when I tried to run the script by right-clicking on the usbdisk icon, it said that my device couldn't be managed by this script. Anyone know what happened?
    You should have a debug info at the end :
    Volume name : ***
    Could you give me it.
    Thanks.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cariboo1938 View Post
    To go for a new Ubuntu installation is a pain but on the other hand a good exercise as well! Maybe I have to contact you again referring to the NTFS read/write issue.]
    Feel free to ask me, i am your servant.
    Some things you should know.
    - My packages get accepted in edgy, so you don't need anymore my repo (unless you have an NTFS usb disk which still need the patched pmount and the script to be able to use them), and that's also means that you can have now package for amd64 and ppc. Just install it with a simple :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get ntfs-3g
    Configure as before, and that's all.
    - An other difference is that i don't support yet a patched hal to get the drive on the desktop & in place. So you'll have to browse nautilus to access them (or make a bookmark).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

My packages get accepted in edgy, so you don't need anymore my repo
    That's great to hear! I'm using Edgy as a virtual appliance and I was worried that this package isn't available for Edgy yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by givré View Post
    You should have a debug info at the end :
    Volume name : ***
    Could you give me it.
    Thanks.
    it says:

"Unfortunately, your device couldn't be managed by this script.
    You should contact the developer on:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009
    Volume name: 65.2 GB Volume.volume"

Thanks!

Beans

I have installed Edgy & my fstab looks like:
    # /dev/hda3
    UUID=ac40a260-f637-4747-b66d-8cfca66c5b22 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/hda4
    UUID=aaef5b19-b89d-40b7-9d19-8cbf93a88cad /home ext3 defaults 0 2
    #dev/hdb1 /media/windows ntfs-3g silent,umask=0,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
    # /dev/hda1
    UUID=30446BB8446B8008 /media/hda1 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
    # /dev/hdb1
    UUID=EADC0D3ADC0D0315 /media/hdb1 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
    # /dev/hdb2
    UUID=E468B9E868B9BA1E /media/hdb2 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
    # /dev/hdb3
    UUID=0baf41ba-40ac-49db-a8e6-d9eac58b9b46 /media/hdb3 ext3 defaults 0 2
    # /dev/hdb4
    UUID=b9414fb3-ef67-4f65-9cbc-51dc3dcba79e none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    When i'm in media folder i can write on ntfs but nautilus doesn't see ntfs anymore
    What can I do to change this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Feel free to ask me, i am your servant.
    Thank you very much...you certainly are an enrichment to my Linux life and the rest of the Linux world!
    - An other difference is that i don't support yet a patched hal to get the drive on the desktop & in place. So you'll have to browse nautilus to access them (or make a bookmark).
    One quick question to this remark of yours: What do you mean by "...a patched hal..."?

Beans
    Hidden!

I followed the directions here in installing ntfs-3g. I've read through the thread, but still haven't found an answer to my small problem. When I plug in an ntfs-formatted USB device, I get an icon for the device, but the following shows up in mtab:

Code:
    /dev/sda1 /media/New\040Volume ntfs rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8 0 0
    If I try to use the nautilus script at this point, it fails with a window saying: "This is not a device. Try in computer:///"
    If I try to copy anything to the mounted device from the command line, I get a "Read only filesystem" error.

If I unmount the device and try the nautilus mount script, I get the same error.

If I then issue:

Code:
    mount -t ntfs-3g -o nonempty,rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8       /dev/sda1 /media/New\ Volume
    then everything works flawlessly and I get the following in mtab:

Code:
    /dev/sda1 /media/New\040Volume fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other 0 0
    I can copy files to the device, unmount it, hook the device up to a Windows box and everything is there. It looks like this is a pmount/HAL problem, but I have read some problems here with the patched pmount and don't really want to bork my automount to solve this one issue. Did I miss installing a package? Any other suggestions, or do I just live (for the moment) with this minor inconvenience in an otherwise great package? Thanks!

Beans

Okay guys, sorry for the delay, i'm actually really busy in trying to get accepted as much possible patch in edgy to integrate better ntfs-3g, and writing a spec for edgy+1/+2, (and other stuff )

There were some great improvement made.
    - I send an email to the hal guys, to know what were there plan to integrate fuse volume, and David Zeuthen replied me that he just committed something about that. Full story is there :
    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/006308.html
    So there is now a better solution than the pretty bad hack i made with my patched hal, and it works great in dapper & edgy, and which works in kde (at least in edgy kde). Talked to pitti about that, but not sure it will make edgy.
    - I file a bug against pmount, to integrate ntfs-3g into it, if you want to add constructive comments, it's there :
    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...unt/+bug/63271
    - I consider ntfs-3g enough stable now, so i can propose an easy solution to get it default, so you don't need the script anymore (optional).

So my plan is :
    - change hal to integrate the official patch & remove the old patch
    - put the patched pmount & hal into a separete channel (main-all for exemple) so you are not force to install them
    - finishing my spec and put it in the wiki. Any constructive contributions are welcome.

If you have any objections or questions, say them know, i'll implement all that tomorrow.

So now, some reply :

feizai, "/media/New\040Volume" try to avoid special character to the mount point name, this is confusing for the script. Also, you probably didn't notice it, but you installed the patched hal/pmount otherwise it couldn't work at all . But some better one will come.

Cariboo1938, hal is an "Hardware Abstraction Layer". It take care of all your hardware and present an interface to work with them. In edgy & dapper, hal can't support volume mounted with FUSE, so it set them to unmount in his database. This database is use by gnome to know the mounted volume and to fill cumputer://. But since those volumes are set to unmount in hal, it's also the case in gnome, and so they don't appear in the desktop, in place or in cumputer://, even if they are mounted. I changed hal so it can support FUSE, and this patched hal was in my repo, but a better one will come (see above). This is probably not really clear , if you want more clarification, ask me.

danek, see above, that will come.

alan_daniel, you fall to a case which is difficult to manage by the script, sometimes it works, sometimes not. Two solutions :
    - set a label to your HD, that would make the life of the script more easy
    - mount it in a terminal with :
    Code:
    pmount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sd*
    see fdisk -l to know the name of your device.

domino, it was accepted few hours before universe freeze, we were really lucky.
    Last edited by givré; October 5th, 2006 at 01:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

domino, it was accepted few hours before universe freeze, we were really lucky.
    Hours is cutting it close . I'm glad it made it in and I think the community is lucky it made it and you doing a wonderful job with supporting it/us.

I'm running Edgy as guest on VMware with ntfs-3g. I'm having some issues with icons not showing up on the desktop and Computer. Otherwise, I have complete read/write support on Edgy when accessed from /media/win32 directory. When you start taking support issues on Ubuntu 6.10, i'll be around.

thanks

Page 71 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast