Page 7 of 203 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

The buzz about begin this big.
    Even OSNews made a news about it (for a beta product!)
    http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=15196
    And now we know why this driver is so great:
    Aha! I knew this was too good to be true, look at the filename (ntfs-3g-20070714-BETA.tgz), its from one year into the future. This guy seems to be in possession of a time machine. Just look at the release notes too, he states there that he is going on a journey for a month now, obviously he is gonna try to go to the future again and retrieve a newer version of this software.
    8)
    Last edited by givré; July 20th, 2006 at 01:52 AM.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans

I am stuck at step 3. When i type gksu gedit /etc/fstab and enter root password a pop-up appears stating error and that I entered incorrect root password

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shivari View Post
    I am stuck at step 3. When i type gksu gedit /etc/fstab and enter root password a pop-up appears stating error and that I entered incorrect root password
    It's probably because i use gtksu instead of gtksudo. Normaly gtksudo is for sudo and gtksu is for su, but since in dapper gtksu and gtksudo do the same (root disable by default) i usualy use gtksu cause it's shorter . But i don't now for the previous release, so try gtksudo instead and see if it works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by givré View Post
    It's probably because i use gtksu instead of gtksudo. Normaly gtksudo is for sudo and gtksu is for su, but since in dapper gtksu and gtksudo do the same (root disable by default) i usualy use gtksu cause it's shorter . But i don't now for the previous release, so try gtksudo instead and see if it works.

Was able to make it work. After typing gksu gedit /etc/fstab, windows opens showing ntfs paritions. On the terminal window, on the other hand, is this "(gedit:6124): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
    Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
    "

Beans

please help, I got 1 partition to work but the other partition can't be mount. Do I need to add "fuse" two times or something?

edit: sorry so it only work for 1 partition in fstab, so then my other one can only read.
    Last edited by qdvubun; July 20th, 2006 at 07:22 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qdvubun View Post
    please help, I got 1 partition to work but the other partition can't be mount. Do I need to add "fuse" two times or something?

edit: sorry so it only work for 1 partition in fstab, so then my other one can only read.
    I should make a note for that or something, this question was ask a billion time
    Your partition are mounted (see /media), but they are not in the desktop because:
    Quote Originally Posted by givré
    Unfortunatly, there is no solution for this problem. ntfs-3g use fuse to mount partition. The system refer to /dev/fuse which refer to all the partition it control... So all for the system, it's like that all your NTFS partition are /dev/fuse. If you do 'more /etc/mtab' in a terminal, you will see it. The consequence is that gnome can only show one (the first one) on the desktop and on place>cumputer.
    If you want to be able to access them quikly, you can make a bookmark in nautilus, or you could also mount you partition in your home.
    Ex:you can make a directory call windows in your home and change the mount point to /home/<your username>/windows in /etc/fstab.
    You don't need to mount them in /media, if i made the HowTo like that it's only because the partition mounted in /media are show on the desktop, and for newbie, it's quite important to see them, just like windows do it.
    Hope that will help.
    Last edited by givré; July 20th, 2006 at 10:08 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shivari View Post
    Was able to make it work. After typing gksu gedit /etc/fstab, windows opens showing ntfs paritions. On the terminal window, on the other hand, is this "(gedit:6124): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
    Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
    "
    This is a known problem of gtksu, but don't be confuse by this warning, this are 'just' warning, and this work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Not working for me on the external Hard disk drive

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vinodis View Post
    Not working for me on the external Hard disk drive
    It should work. Let see your /etc/fstab.
    Did you mount it during boot, or did you plug it after?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by givré View Post
    I can't test it, and since i'm not really familiar with 32-bit chroot environement on 64-bit system, i don't really know if this will work.
    If you are not affraid by the experience,
    if you made some backup, and
    if you don't care of the possibility of losing a drive, i want to say let's try.
    But i don't recommand it, and i'm sure that a 64-bit version will come really soo. Have a look at www.linux-ntfs.org, you can even try to email the developper to know when they will do a 64-bit version.
    I've tried it, and it seems to work

I followed your instructions almost to the letter. The only difference for chroot environment are as follows:

A) Steps 1 to 3 (install FUSE, install ntfs-3g, and fstab/mount point) must be done in 32-bit chroot environment
    B) Step 4 (modprobe fuse or edit /etc/modules) must be done in the normal (64-bit) environment

So actually, a shorter way to say it is that loading FUSE into kernel should be done in 64-bit environment, and everything else should be in 32-bit chroot

I've done some simple testing, and it seems to work so far. Haven't booted to NT yet though to check integrity. Will post updates if I encounter anything.

Page 7 of 203 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast