Page 40 of 203 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Beans

Great!!!!!

It really works - thx thx thx

Beans

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Thanks guys.
    And remember that it's a beta product, and so feedback are strongly welcome
    Thanks
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello, first time Linux/Ubuntu user here. I have two NTFS partitions (sda1- a small win install, and sda2 - a large data dump) that I am trying to mount with these drivers. sda1 mounts fine but sda2 prompts me with

Code:
    Couldn't mount device '/dev/sda2': Input/output error
    Mount failed.
    sda1 mounts fine with the default drivers or ntfs-3g, but sda2 will no longer mount with the default drivers nor ntfs-3g. I've tried all combinations of each as well. Any ideas where to start? Since I'm new, you may need to spoonfeed me directions

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

@givre: do u know if this stuff works on edgy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wink Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Quote Originally Posted by givré View Post
    Oh yeah, i forgot something
    My host begin to be to small for the increasing success of ntfs-3g, and my 3Go/per month Bandwidth begin to be not enough (with 380 Mo/day this two last days, i think we reach a critical point mainly because of hal) http://flomertens.keo.in/.stat/08-2006/ .
    So if somebody could be gentle enough to mirror my repo, that'll be really great

Thanks.
    Hello givré.
    If you want, I can provide you a mirror.
    I have little more than 10Go traffic available for a month. I use less than 4Go in a month, so I have bandwith available.
    The webhosting is 1&1.

Contact me if you are interrest and for giving me details for creating a mirror.

I create a sub domain on my primary domain : http://givre.sitesweetsite.info
    There is nothing in for the moment. The sub-domain is still in creation.

edit : the subdomain is ready. You can access it without errors, but there is nothing at all.
    Maybe you would have this : http://ntfs-3g.sitesweetsite.info/ ???

Quote Originally Posted by givré View Post
    Now for the AMD64 version. Since the begining, some people try it, with success or not. On guy try to install it via a 32 bit chroot, but apparently it was a bad idea (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post1290607), an other guy reported success when recompiling it http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...98#post1330498 so i guess it's the way to go. Some gentoo user report success also
    I was this guy
    But now I use a i686 kernel !
    Why ? Because I bought a new harddrive to replace an deadly maxtor, and I have more space on the DD. That's not a real explanation, not ?
    The real thing is the AMD64 architecture is too constraining (= containgnante in french). Many soft, package are not available on 64bits arch. Sometimes I can compil from soucre, sometimes not because of some errors... And the big thing is that 64 bits arch cannot run 32bits apps !! That's the big thing I think !
    So In reinstalling ubuntu, I choose the i386 arc...
    And in the passing, I chose ubuntu instead of kubuntu. So I can use nautilus script thanks to givré
    But for 64bits, I have no errors in compiling ntfs-3g and tools.

Quote Originally Posted by sciyoshi View Post
    Hey, I've written up a guide on the wiki. Check it out here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ntfs-3g
    Great
    I think I'll made a french translation, if you are agree (both of you : givré and sciyoshi).
    But I don't know how ti create a wiki translation.
    Should I create a french wiki page on the french wiki : http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/
    or here : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ntfs-3g
    Last edited by MilesTEG1; August 19th, 2006 at 09:13 AM.
    Nous avons trop tendance à devenir pareils aux pires de nos ennemis.
    Coda Bene Gesserit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by skyhopper88 View Post
    Hello, first time Linux/Ubuntu user here. I have two NTFS partitions (sda1- a small win install, and sda2 - a large data dump) that I am trying to mount with these drivers. sda1 mounts fine but sda2 prompts me with

Code:
    Couldn't mount device '/dev/sda2': Input/output error
    Mount failed.
    sda1 mounts fine with the default drivers or ntfs-3g, but sda2 will no longer mount with the default drivers nor ntfs-3g. I've tried all combinations of each as well. Any ideas where to start? Since I'm new, you may need to spoonfeed me directions
    Maybe you should post your fstab file ?

Personnaly, I had 5 NTFS partitions, and 4 mount with ntfs-3g
    Code:
    /dev/sda2   *           1       10058    80790853+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb1   *           1        2550    20482843+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb5            2551        9039    52122861    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdc8           17566       30515   104020843+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hdc1   *           1        9964    80035798+   7  HPFS/NTFS

/dev/hdc1    (mount with ntfs-3g)          77G   28G   49G  37% /media/dd-80Go
    /dev/sdb5    (mount with ntfs-3g)          50G   46G  4,6G  91% /media/jeux-1
    /dev/sda2    (mount with ntfs-3g)          78G   48G   30G  62% /media/stockage
    /dev/sdc8    (mount with ntfs-3g)         100G   68M  100G   1% /media/stockage2
    /dev/sdb1    (mount with ntfs)          20G   12G  8,4G  58% /media/windows
    I don't mount the windows partition with ntfs-3g to prevent any corruption of my data. I think it is very unprobable, but in doubt...

My fstab :
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
    /dev/sdc1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    /dev/sdc6       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2

# Anciennes lignes de commande pour lire le ntfs.
    #/dev/hdc1       /media/dd-80Go  ntfs    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0       1
    #/dev/sdb5       /media/jeux-1   ntfs    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0       1

/dev/hdc1       /media/dd-80Go  ntfs-3g     silent,umask=0,locale=fr_FR.utf8,no_def_opts,allow_other    0    0
    /dev/sdb5       /media/jeux-1   ntfs-3g     silent,umask=0,locale=fr_FR.utf8,no_def_opts,allow_other    0    0

/dev/sdc5       /media/jeux-2   vfat    defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0       1
    /dev/sda5       /media/linux-xp vfat    defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0       1

# Anciennes lignes de commande pour lire le ntfs.
    #/dev/sda2       /media/stockage ntfs    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0       1
    #/dev/sdc8       /media/stockage2 ntfs    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0       1

/dev/sda2       /media/stockage ntfs-3g     silent,umask=0,locale=fr_FR.utf8,no_def_opts,allow_other    0    0
    /dev/sdc8       /media/stockage2 ntfs-3g     silent,umask=0,locale=fr_FR.utf8,no_def_opts,allow_other    0    0

/dev/sdb1       /media/windows  ntfs    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0       1

/dev/sdc7       none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
    /dev/hdb        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
    /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
    Coda Bene Gesserit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

This works like a charm, all devices are (auto)mounted and I haven't yet got any error while performing r/w actions, and I'm using all my ntfsdevices like I'm used to under Windows.
    I noticed you are looking for a mirror. If you can provide some details I may be able to help out. I have some online space with no datalimit at all. Drop me a note through PM or w/e.

Anyways, thanks for this brilliant piece of somewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by MilesTEG1 View Post
    Maybe you should post your fstab file ?

I don't mount the windows partition with ntfs-3g to prevent any corruption of my data. I think it is very unprobable, but in doubt...
    ...Sorry, I should have known that was a requirement in this topic.

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
    /dev/sda5       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    /dev/sda6       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
    /dev/sda1       /media/sda1     ntfs-3g     silent,umask=0,locale=en_US.utf8,no_def_opts,allow_other    0    0
    /dev/sda2       /media/sda2     ntfs-3g     silent,umask=0,locale=en_US.utf8,no_def_opts,allow_other    0    0
    /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

#NTFS Defaults
    #/dev/sda1       /media/sda1     ntfs    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0       1
    #/dev/sda2       /media/sda2     ntfs    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0       1

#NTFS-3G
    #/dev/sda1       /media/sda1     ntfs-3g     silent,umask=0,locale=en_US.utf8,no_def_opts,allow_other    0    0
    #/dev/sda2       /media/sda2     ntfs-3g     silent,umask=0,locale=en_US.utf8,no_def_opts,allow_other    0    0
    And I won't keep My Windows partition on 3g for the same reason, I was just testing it to see if it worked even though all I need it on is sda2. I have a question, which is more error prone, the ntfs-3g reading/writing in Ubuntu, or the ext3 reading/writing in Windows (http://www.fs-driver.org/). I'm debating if I should keep my sda2 as ntfs or convert to ext3.

Um...I'm not sure what happened, but now if I try to do a
    Code:
    sudo modprobe fuse
    sudo umount -a
    sudo mount -a
    trying to mount or unmount gives me a command not found error.

Beans

Ok guy, i come with a quite bad news, but first the question,

@skyhopper88 : did you already get it working? This kind of error result of an error on the partition. Try a chkdsk in windows.
    And for the ext3/ntfs question, like the warning say, if you can, always prefer ext3, ext3 will always work better in windows than ntfs in linux (for the simple reason that ext3 is open-source and ntfs is close source)

@saracen : i don't provide an edgy repo, my edgy pbuider failed and i don't want to pass 2 hour to rebuild it , but i guess you have the update fuse on edgy, so you just have to install ntfs-3g & libntfs-3g and it should work.

@MilesTEG1 : thanks guy for the repo offer, but it's to late 8) , in fact i already add one (check the first page). For the translation, i'm sure that doc.ubuntu-fr.org is the best choise. I could do it but i don't have a lot of time at this moment. Thanks

And now the possible bad news :

For my intensive test, i converted a small usb key 256 Mo in NTFS and tried to play with it. I mount it with the script and transfer my main test folder (a 139,9 Mio directory of 6430 file). All was ok, until i unmounted it with the nautilus eject button. When i unplug/plug it it seams that some files i just added was corrupted, i wasn't able anymore to mount it with ntfs-3g.
    So i did more test, and it appears that the problem is because the simple command pmount/mount (the script) & gnome-volume-manager/hal (for the test, the eject button) don't work good together :
    - if i do all with gnome-volume-manager (selection automatic of ntfs-3g by g-v-m) it works great
    - and if i do all with pmount/mount (mount with the script+unmount /dev/sda1 in a terminal) it works great.
    In fact i suspect all type of filesystem to not work well if we mixte the 2 like that.

So we have the solution, but i don't know which one to choose.
    - I could update gvm to mount automaticly ntfs device with ntfs-3g
    - Or i could rehad the unmount_ntfs-3g script in ntfs-3g-nautilus-tools.

So i let you choose, what do you think is the best solution?
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hmmm, I think I don't understand all...

Mounting gnome-volume-manager (alias g-v-m), is it by double clicking on the icon on the desktop ?

And mounting with pmount/mount (mount with the script+unmount), is it with the right click menu on an icon on the desktop ?

If all i said before is true, so more question :
    when we mount a partition with nautilus-script, the umount possibility is to do the same in right click menu, no ?
    So why did you said this :
    mount with the script+unmount /dev/sda1 in a terminal
    Maybe I don't understand anything.
    Coda Bene Gesserit

Page 40 of 203 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast